Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

The Jem'hadar

In Season 4's episode "Hippocratic Oath" Goran'Agar, the Jem'Hadar First is on a planet with several of his men trying to get them cured of their addiction to White. Goran'Agar himself was cured several years earlier on the same planet and forces Dr. Bashir to assist him with his men.

In the end we're left not knowing what happens to the Jem'Hadar on the planet. They are still addicted, but it's left unresolved. We're led to believe that Goran'Agar kills his men to save them from the pain from running out of the White.

The reason I bring this up is because I think it could have made for an interesting plot point for an episode, book or movie to have those Jem'Hadar become White Free and assist other Jem'Hadar in doing the same. What direction would the White Free Jem'Hadar go in? Would they be an enemy of the Federation or a friend?

While I agree that it would have made a great storyline; the other Jem'hadar had virtually no hope of survival without the white.

According to Dr. Bashir, Goran'Agar was never physically dependent on the white to survive, because he had a genetic mutation.

However, not knowing he was a mutant, he assumed the planet he had been stranded on when he 'broke his addiction' some how was responsible, and thus brought his men there in a futile attempt to do the same for them.

This does beg the question, if Bashir detected the mutation and believed that he could use that information to free the other Jem'hadar, was he morally obligated to do so?

I understand that O'Brien stopped him from helping the group on the planet but what about all the rest?

Edited by welfconfed

While I agree that it would have made a great storyline; the other Jem'hadar had virtually no hope of survival without the white.

According to Dr. Bashir, Goran'Agar was never physically dependent on the white to survive, because he had a genetic mutation.

However, not knowing he was a mutant, he assumed the planet he had been stranded on when he 'broke his addiction' some how was responsible, and thus brought his men there in a futile attempt to do the same for them.

This does beg the question, if Bashir detected the mutation and believed that he could use that information to free the other Jem'hadar, was he morally obligated to do so?

I understand that O'Brien stopped him from helping the group on the planet but what about all the rest?

That was the theory that Bashir came up with but he was basically guessing. Kind of a "what if" kind of thing. There at the end Bashir thought he was getting close to something to cure the others before O'Brien destroyed the table. So there could have been a way to do it.

Os for the moral obligation, that's a tough question but we can look at DS9 itself for an answer. The Federation was going to withhold the cure for the Founders so they would die out so I believe they would likely wish to do the same in this instance, morally though I think a Doctor would feel that he should help them. The question after that though is, are the Jem'Hadar grateful for the assistance and become a friend of the Federation or do they go on a rampage? What we've seen of the Jem'Hadar they are not that unlike the Klingons. They are Warlike but have a sense of honor.