Sign in to follow this  
Cloud

Wormhole Communication

I can't really remember from the Episodes, but was it a possible to communicate through the wormhole from the Gamma Quadrant to the Alpha Quadrant?? Or was it only possible when the wormhole was open? Or just not possible at all? :waaaa:

I think only when open...

The one in Eye of the Needle was always open...

It was only possible after Sisko guides comet fragments through the wormhole, while taking the comet fragments through, some gasses (Selithium I think) leaks through the sub-space field that Sisko in his runnabout is generating to protect the wormhole and when they get to the other side the trail os selithium leaves the wormhole slightly open. Just enough to allow communications to be possible. The episode this is in is "Destiny" (Season 3 episode 15).

Ok... I've never watched DS9 regularly as I don't have cable but I watched it a few years ago in sydication on a local chnnel somewhere on vacation...

I just finished watching that episode again and there's something at the very end that is quite interesting and points to the series finale. At first viewing you would think it's just a passing comment, something of an "after thought" but turns out to be a "prophecy" of things to come.

After the episode is basically over Sisko is walking and talking to a vedek who makes mention of Trekor's 4th prophecy. It was Trekor's 3rd prophecy that came true earlier in the episode, anyway the vedek begins to tell Sisko of the 4th prophecy to which there are signs of it coming to pass soon. He says:

"Trekor's 4th prophecy says that the Emissary will face a firey trial and will be forced to choose...."

To me that sounds like the ending of the series where Sisko fights Dukat in the Fire Caves and then must choose to stay with the prophets.

Could be coincidence or possibly planned but I found it interesting.

I have a feeling that line must been stuck in the writers sub-conscience or conscience minds the whole run of DS9 after that. It must've helped them with the direction of the show.

Well, I'm suppose the Wormhole still has that communication ability after DS9 is over right? I mean I know it collapsed once, but that wouldn't affect it would it?

What about the time after Dukat killed Jadzia? The thing inside Dukat attacked the orb. Afterwards the all orbs on Bajor were dark, and they weren't hearing from the prophets. ( I just finished watching Tears of the Prohets, and have wait awhile to get season 7.)

In Sacrifice of Angels the Founder said to send a message to a listening post in the Gamma Quadrant.

As far as I know the wormhole hadn't opened so that's some more evidence.

What about the time after Dukat killed Jadzia? The thing inside Dukat attacked the orb. Afterwards the all orbs on Bajor were dark, and they weren't hearing from the prophets. ( I just finished watching Tears of the Prohets, and have wait awhile to get season 7.)

For the rest of that episode and for Episode 1 of season 7 there is no communication with the Gamma Quadrant because the Wormhole was collapsed. Once it was opened again though things got back to normal. Under normal circumstances the wormhole doesn't have to be open to allow communications though.