Sign in to follow this  
alchemy_press

Does Anyone Still Read The Star Trek Logs...

by foster or the star trek books by blish (star trek 1-5 i believe)? They are pretty off the wall and hard to find, so i'm wondering if there is any interest in these titles?

-alchemy

admiral,

yeah, i think they have pretty much been forgotten. I work for a small publisher (me and two other people) and we have all of them except for log 3 in library approved cloth hardcovers. They are really nice books I was just unsure of the content quality. A lot of our titles get gobbled up by collectors (edgar rice burroghs fans call us up and ask for specific hardcover colors) after they realize that nobody prints some of these books in hardcover anymore. If anyone is interested in picking them up, I would think they may be worth something in the future. I'd prefer to get them out to star trek fans and have them read them then to have them sit on the shelf even if they are worth more in the future...plus i think we still have them priced in 1985 dollars. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

alchemy

I've never been able to find them.....

Anyways my mom won't let me buy anything except non-startrek books...

I found a really cheap but good condition copy of the Blish novelisations of TOS season two in one volume. They are quite good but some of the stories miss out whole chunks of what happened in the episode. Mirror, Mirror springs to mind. They miss out a lot of the background and torture stuff in favour of hurrying to the conclusion. The Changeling was catually very good though. And oddly when I was at school they use to have a full set of the Blish books in the school library! Yeah the story is funnier if you actaully know who badly stocked the place was.

I have the Blish novelization of the series in four hardbound books plus the missing few episodes in a paperback version. I have one Log by Alan Dean Foster, and I remember being most unimpressed by his writings. It seemed to me that he had taken well-rounded characters and made them rather flat. I didn't seek any more of his after that.

T'Bree