Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stvoyagerfan

convention tips

i thought this was a good spot to post this. i wrote this article for my college paper. i hope someone finds it useful or something. these were written based on my own experineces going to a convention. trekkie extraordinaire was supposed to be an inside joke between me and the editor but she kept it in there anyway. enjoy!

Tips for a successful convention experience

By Tm Trekkie Extraordinaire

Have you ever thought of attending a science fiction? Have you gone and afterwards thought you could have had a better time? If you answered yes to any of the questions, then I have some tips to help make your first or next convention an enjoyable experience.

The first tip is to plan as far advanced in the future as possible. I learned this one after I found out about a convention three days before the event and I rushed around to make arrangements. The internet is the best way to find out about any conventions that are going on.

My second tip is take more money than you think you’ll need because you will find that one item you really want and won’t have enough. This is important because you might not have easy access to an atm.

Third, is to pack snacks. If it’s an all day event you will get hungry and food sold at a convention can be expensive. And there might not be any restaurants close by and you’ll might have to run to a fast food restaurant and might miss out on stuff.

Fourth, if there is no reserved seating get there early for best seating .The closer you are the better pictures you can take. You’re closer to the action. And also comes in handy if they go row by row for autograph sessions or pictures.

Fifth, pack at least two roles of film, disposable cameras, or extra memory cards for your digital camera per day of an event. You will take more pictures than you think. They make a great reminder of the time you had.

Sixth if a favorite actor or writer of yours is speaking and you want to give them a gift. Give them a postcard of your hometown with a thank you note written on it. I have done this and they really appreciate it and it’s easy for them to pack in a suitcase compared to something big and bulky.

Eighth tip is to talk to the dealers. Most conventions have a dealer area. And the dealers are usually more than willing to bargain with you. This is best used towards the end of the event and the dealer doesn’t want to have to take a lot of unsold stuff home with him.

Ninth tip is don’t be afraid to ask a speaker a question no matter how stupid you think it is. Speakers usually will answer all questions that they are asked as long as it relates to them.

The final tip which is the most important is to HAVE FUN!

Hopefully these tips will help you have a great convention experience. Don’t be afraid to attend, especially if no one else wants to go because you can have just as much fun by yourself. It’s a great way to meet new people. You do not have to wear a costume to a convention to fit in.

NEW TIP:

If you are planning to go to a con in hopes or think you might buy a poster while there. it's a good idea to pack or purchase at least one of those cardboard tubes. the person/place you are buying it from may not supply those or any means of protection for the poster. i learned this after buying a poster at a con and it got placed in a plastic bag and got a small tear and wrinkled on the way home. i wouldn't even use a rubber band because they also can cause damage to the poster.

if you buy one of those great 8x10 photos a great way to protect them is back them with cardboard and put them in one of those inexpensive plastic sleeve things. i use the ones that can be put in three ring binders that's what's worked best for me. i also find it helpul if it's raining to help protect the picture. every little bit helps.

Bump

one more tip for those going to vegas this week.

don't follow the guest into the restroom that's not cool. i've heard of this happening and would you like it if someone followed you and took your picture or asked for an autograph..

HAVE FUN!!!

tm

If you're going to a large convention and aren't going to be sitting close to the stage, bring a small pair of binoculars with you. If you're near the back of the auditorium, you may need binoculars to get a good look at the guests. I learned this the hard way at my first convention in Pasadena, CA. :tribble: