Sign in to follow this  
Kyra_Ashleigh

Enterprise 1st season

I've been a casual Trek watcher for years and until recently wouldn't have even bothered to call myself a fan. I started getting more seriously into Trek since my husband is a big fan and it sucked me in!

I missed out on the whole first season of Enterprise, luckily we have tapes of every series up till Voyager, but I'm debating on whether or not I should cough up the cash and buy the Enterprise VCD's that are going around on Ebay. I know VCD's are horrible quality, I have the whole Quantum Leap series on VCD and it's dismal quality at best, but when you're a fan, you do what you've gotta do.

So I guess the big question is: do I really need to see the first season to appreciate Enterprise or will it make me want to bash my head into a wall for all the flaws? I'm toying with ordering the VCDs anyway since I like Scott Bakula as an actor.

Any glaring reasons why I should save my money?

Seriously, don't bother with them. I'm a fan of Ent. - in fact, it's probably my favourite series - but a lot of the episodes from season 1 and 2 have been quite poorly put together. It's gotten a lot better in the third season. You'd have to be pretty hard-core to buy the first 2 seasons on anything, let alone VCD. Eventually they'll be repeated and you'll be able to record them on regular video, which would be better than VCD.

I am big fan of ENT, but I still don't think you need to buy the first season on VHS, you should at least wait for DVD.. Season 1 has a couple of good episodes, but IMO that series really kicks of at the end of season 2.

I think you will be confused about the behavior of the Vulcans unless you see the first two seasons. I also think seeing those seasons helps you to see the evolution of the crew from excitement about being the first to go into deep space, to the seriousness and ending of the naivite about the challenges of humans in space.

You should wait to buy, though, until you have had the opportunity to see reruns, which will be inevitabley shown somewhere. It is Star Trek after all......

I would wait for season sets on DVD. I'm really wondering if they'll start releasing the early seasons before the show runs it's full seven years. Other shows have released previous seasons while the show is still on the air. I'm hoping that they release the first seasons after all of VOY and TOS are released. If they do that, you wouldn't have too long to wait, and you could plod along well enough by maybe reading some online reviews or episode summaries at ST.com.

If you really want the first season and can't wait for reruns/DVDs the VCD's would at least let you see the shows. Then again there's always Suprnova if you have High Speed Internet access. I downloaded the entire first season in DVD format from there. It's not great quality but better then VCD quality.

Stardate:214284.9

Well like everybody else said if I was you id just wait for the reruns.The first season isnt quite as good as the next two but it will help you understand things better.

I have the whole Quantum Leap series on VCD

:wacko: I bow to you :blink: :wow::wow:

I love Quantum Leap! :dude:

I have all of seasons 1&2 and some of season 3 downloaded, and they're usually better than when I saw them on TV. B) Anywho, seasons 1&2 are mostly episodic. My advice is to download the series premiere, the TCW episodes, the Romulan episode, and the Borg episode. This way, you see how the show began, can follow the TCW arc, get to see the first Romulan episode, and the only Borg episode which was done as a "follow up" to the 8th movie.

As to me I think you should have them, downloading is probably the best.

I've bought VCDs of season 1 via ebay too and they are mostly ok but some of them I agree are in poor quality.

I do like season 1, season 2 has some weak stories and season 3 is something special. There are some many eps I love, few I cannot stand but none of them I would consider indifferent.