Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Star Trek Movie Analysis

In the Star Trek franchise, we have had a total of 10 movies.

Star Trek The Motion Picture

Star Trek II The Wrath of Kahn

Star Trek III The Search for Spock

Star Trek IV The Voyage Home

Star Trek V The Final Frontier

Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country

Star Trek Generations

Star Trek First Contact

Star Trek Insurrection

Star Trek Nemesis

Now, the TOS movies concluded. Then we got TNG movied, which have also concluded. The question remains: Should there be another movie or group of movies, and what should they be based on?

Well, here's how I see it. When the first movie came out, there was only TOS. By the time they made the final TOS movie, TNG was in it's 5th season and DS9 in production of it's 1st season. When they decided to do a TNG movie, TNG was about to end, and they had the new show, DS9. When the last TNG movie came out, both DS9 & VOY had ended, with ENT being the current series.

I think the problem here instead of a continuous flow of Trek, we had an overload durring the time DS9 was on. Let's say that DS9 was never made and they went from TNG to VOY. Then, instead of trying to decide what to do next with the movies, they would just move on to VOY.

These are options for movie #11.

Deep Space Nine

Voyager

Mixed cast

New cast

I didn't list TNG as I believe NEMESIS concluded the TNG movies. I also didn't list ENT as I believe a Trek movie works best as a follow up to a tv series.

Now, with that said, how does everyone feel on the the 4 choices I listed? How would you feel about a DS9 or VOY movie? Who would you want to see in a mixed cast movie? Should we introduce a new cast for the movies?

I have more to say, but I've got chores to do...

I'll be back to add more! ;)

Nemesis was NOT the conclusion for TNG. John Logan has always said he had a sequel story in his mind when he wrote the screenplay. The tag line was "A Generation's Final Journey Begins". Until I see an official press release from Paramount saying that there will be no more TNG movies then I might believe it. The box office for Nemesis wasn't what was hoped for but they will still make money from it. I still believe there will be one more TNG (full or partial cast) movie and then Enterprise will hit the big screen. If Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner are not involved in the next film I won't be going!!! I will go see an Enterprise movie.

I still believe there will never be a strictly DS9 or Voyager movie as their ratings would not justify Paramount spending the money plus the passage of time from when both finished their original runs would be too great by the time the next movie will be hitting the theatres.

Let's face it, more non-Trek people have heard of Picard and Data than Janeway and Sisko combined and it's the non-Trek people that make the difference between big box office (First Contact) and breaking even.

I don't want a "new cast" film. With both TOS and TNG we KNEW these characters when they hit the big screen. It would not be the same to have a bunch of strangers wearing Starfleet uniforms on the big screen, absolutely no emotional investment in the characters - no thank you.

I WANT TNG!!!

I think you just want us all to say what you want to hear. Not gonna happen.

DS9, while i would love to see it, will most likely not happen.

Voyager...stick a fork in it, it's done!

mixed...maybe, in some ways even FC was mixed and with Janeway in Nemesis, the could be called mixed too.

BUt i would bet that TNG would have to carry the movie if it were to have any draw.

You keep posting this up down and sideways...why?

Well, I post varriations... and they dissapear... ;)

Anywho, TNG has made 4 movies. The actors are getting old. Riker & Troi are married. Riker is commanding his own ship. Data died.

This leaves Picard, Worf, LaForge, and Crusher on the Enterprise.

Not to mention that NEMESIS flopped...

I think there could be one more TNG movie, but it would definnately have to be the last. I don't see how they could bring Data back. He was obliterrated by the Schimitar explossion and B4 contains his memories, not his personallity.

You're right in saying DS9 & VOY weren't successful enough for a movie.

It's too early for ENT.

They need to do mixed or new cast movies, and I'm all for mixed cast!

Well, I post varriations...  and they dissapear... ;)

I don't know why you think I'm in denial. Sean Connery said it best "Never Say Never Again" - that Bond flick was called that because Sean Connery stated he would never play Bond again and then did. More people want and hope for another TNG movie than any other option.

Now the reason your "variations" seem to disappear is that they are not variations. They all ask basically the same thing so we mods have the option of merging topics so that there are not 6 threads going all on the same topic. Sorry if you don't see it that way but that's the way I see it. ;)

There will be more movies whether TNG is involved or not. It will be another 2 or 3 years before the next movie would be released (2 years between Generations and First Contact, First Contact and Insurrection and 3 years between Insurrection and Nemesis), maybe longer. If TPTB have any intention of launching the Enterprise cast on to the big screen when its run is over on television I don't think they will invest in an all-new crew. Many of the cast from Voyager and DS9 are just as old as the TNG cast so if TNG is too old so are the others. Plus with so many cast members like Jonathan Frakes, Levar Burton, Roxann Dawson, Robert Duncan McNeil and others concentrating more on directing than acting, would they want to do a movie.

If there is going to be a mixed cast movie I think it will involve some TNG cast and some new cast for one movie. Then Enterprise would take over.

Trek movies are different from other movies. When people go to a movie they spend 2 hours in the theatre, they may be moved by what they saw and then they go home and it's over. With TNG movies, for example, we have a 15 years investment in the characters. They are like family - we have an emotional connection to them and we care what happens to them. To have an all new cast that connection isn't there.

3 years between Insurrection and Nemesis

Many of the cast from Voyager and DS9 are just as old as the TNG cast so if TNG is too old so are the others.

It was 4 years between INSURRECTION and NEMESIS.

The DS9 & VOY actors are not as old as the TNG actors. VOY only ended 2 years ago where as TNG ended 9 years ago. Big difference.

TNG's other with. Not enough people would see a DS9 or VOY movie. I doubt many Trek fans would see a "new cast" movie. So, that leaves us one option...

MIXED CAST

It's unlikely they will go with an Enterprise film any time soon. My guess is that they would do a mixed cast/new crew in an effort to launch a new movie franchise. I don't think a well-written film and solid cast would need a 5-year series to gain audience acceptance. My guess is that Paramount would want a younger cast, and there has long been talk of a Starfleet Academy project. I think a film using veterans from the series in some cameo roles as lecturers or Federation leaders in a story about the launch of a new ship with a young new crew could work. It would be fun to to see Picard as an Admiral, or better yet, federation president. But the focus should be on the introduction of a new crew, and hopefully one that is more international (and intergalactic) than the practically all-American Enterprise.

I think as long as they could write a story worthy of being a blockbuster it would not matter who, what, when, where, why, the story is paramount to anything washing.

My opinion is that :

The exclusive TNG Movies end,

DS9 is not very good idea because has a station and not a ship,

VOY is good but they came back to earth so is not possible for a senario,

so the only way is :

MIXED CAST from TNG, DS9 and VOY.

A senario about Enterprise/Titan or Another ship with remain cast of TNG,

cast from DS9 and apears of Station and Defiant and some cast from VOY,

with apears of Admiral Janeway and some crew of USS Voyager.

TNG - Sure, I too want a 5th movie. However, it's time to face facts that there won't be a 5th movie. Nemesis bombed in theaters, Data died, Riker got promoted to Captain and married Troi, so they both left the Enterprise. Sure, there are more stories to tell. The question is: Would enough people go see a 5th TNG movie?

DS9 & VOY - Agree, both series had enough of an audience to stay on the air, but deffinately not enough viewers to warrant a movie.

ENT - Too early for a movie.

Mixed cast - I say it should have 4 or so characters from DS9 and from VOY along with elements from TNG like cameos and such. I truelly think this is the best way to go.

New cast - For me, the point of a Star Trek movie is to continue the tv series, an established story arc, or a previous movie. I could enjoy a new cast tv movie, but having the 11th big-screen movie feature a new cast? I dunno... I probably wouldn't go see it.

New cast - For me, the point of a Star Trek movie is to continue the tv series, an established story arc, or a previous movie.  I could enjoy a new cast tv movie, but having the 11th big-screen movie feature a new cast?  I dunno...  I probably wouldn't go see it.

That would be the one thing, which would cause me to be in line 3 days early! A New Cast would suggest to me they have a blockbuster story to take such a risk. I think it is the thing to do, some people always chirp about wanting Trek to take chances so what bigger chance could they take? New Cast confronting Future Guy with all of the known Trek history in the balance might work.

I know I sound pessimistic but I don't think there will be anymore STNG movies. The last one was not well received and Enterprise is losing ratings.. It's also possible that there may not be anymore movies period. If there is another movie I think It will probably have a mixed cast of TNG, DS9 and a few VOY thrown in.

I know I sound pessimistic but I don't think there will be anymore STNG movies.  The last one was not well received and Enterprise is losing ratings.. It's also possible that there may not be anymore movies period.  If there is another movie I think It will probably have a mixed cast of TNG, DS9 and a few VOY thrown in.

Hopefully this will lift your spirits. Rick Berman has said there will be more Trek movies but who will be in them has not been decided yet.

heres a scenario:

what if in the next movie we have it as the last tng movie to wrap it up nicely.

have picard dying of some radiation disease or something that happened to him on the scimitar ship, and he summons together his old crew.

(rest of the plot goes here. lol. im not that creative)

then geordi misses data so he transfers datas MEMORIES to b4, but he isnt the same.

(again, the rest of the plot goes here. hopefully something to do with romulans. lol)

by the end of the movie, geordi finally deactivates b4 and vows never to re-activate him. then there are formal and complete goodbyes, even a funeral for the eventual death of picard because of his diease or whatever.

(credits go here)

(applause follows. lol. j/k)

anybody like this idea?

Ack! Too depressing! I'd rather have a mystery-type movie with Species 8472 as the villians and feature the return of Sisko!

It could be a merge of DS9 & VOY with TNG elements. Oh, and if Picard dies, he needs to go out in a blaze of glory like Kirk! Granted, Kirk got killed by a bridge, but in the process, he saved a planet! Good enough for me! :tear: