Sign in to follow this  
livlonganprospe

Trek Tech.

Although Star Trek TOS was ahead of it's time in the hand held communicator which later inspired the flip phone and while we were in that time oohing and aahing the other wonderful toys the show offered it was because in the 60's we didn't have the technology then and the writers of the show had good imaginations then.

I'm concern about todays writers, I'm not seeing anything inspiring any more.

Recently I've seen on Tech TV. wearable electronic gear, clothes with sewn in flexible key pads in the arm that ativates built in devices in the jacket, for example: there is a jacket that gives off an mild electronic jolt if a mugger grabs a women or a man and the person wearing it is insulated,[ this would be good for away missions].

These are great inventions and great trend setters for us in 2004, but one would think that the crew of Enterprise would have this hardware on their uniforms and I'm not talking about the enviromental suits.

I know what you all will say "TOS didn't have it" and you'll be right, I guess the point I'm making is the way things are going now, by the time we [21 century man] get to Archer's time we would be light years ahead their technology. The only ooh's and aah's that are left to conquer is warp travel, artifical gravity and shields.

There is just an overall observation folks.

I personally like to see in Enterprise in more space navigation lingo, you know like having Mayweather using orbit infomation in numbers or how to plot a course to a system or planet. Given that fact that the Mar's rovers landed with perfect navigation, passing that kind of information in the ST. lingo would also be educational for the audience. :garak: [/color]

I guess for the most part you're right but ENT has to be careful not to step on TOS toes. However there is one major piece of hardware on ENT you overlooked which imo is the most significant of them all: the NX-01 it's self.

I guess for the most part you're right but ENT has to be careful not to step on TOS toes. However there is one major piece of hardware on ENT you overlooked which imo is the most significant of them all: the NX-01 it's self.

Yea I know, it's also the one model that I don't have.

It's to bad the the AMT company isn't making any Star Trek ship models anymore :)

They should have flexible screens!!!!!!

New bio research has unveiled ne bendable and foldable screens perfect for the captain on the Go!!!!!!!

They should have flexible screens!!!!!!

New bio research has unveiled ne bendable and foldable screens perfect for the captain on the Go!!!!!!!

TOS didn't have bendable screens, wouldn't having them on ENT be a serious continuity violation?

the problem is, AE, in TOS, there were no touch screens. we have them at ATMs, Restaraunts, and now even hospitals. and Cell Phones are about the same size as a Star Trek TOS Communicator.

they don't, but if we in the 21st Century have them, why don't they in the 22nd Century have them?

Ah I see. TPTB had to make choices dealing with continuity between ENT & TOS. Either update ENT to more closely match tech today (which would have infuriated the Trek purists even more than they are now) or just glaze over and omit some current trends with the intent of preserving continuity (and the ENT haters say B&B don't care :dude: .) I'm happy with the middle ground they've chosen, on the one hand ENT looks futuristic enough (imo) to be a modern show but it also doesn't totally ignore TOS.

There is one thing though that wasn't around in the 60's and taken for granted in TOS and the rest is the viewer screen.

One of the best features of the show, the viewer screen not only saw the stars, planets and ships but sometimes sees the action on a planet as in the episode "Arena".

Also the the long sort after video phone or web cam that we today are just now perfecting, TOS introduced to us when Kirk had a incoming message [ just like the Jetsons].

Perhaps to introduce touch screen tech in the ENT can be explain as: "well TOS didn't show all the features of the view screen".

On the other side of the coin, I'm just sorry that ST. did not introduce the portable bio screens or geo screens [ I don't know the correct name for it ] like in the movie Red Planet starring Val Kilmar, that technology is right around the corner for the military today. :dude: