Sign in to follow this  
MichaelJCO

The Xindi are coming or here come Section 31

Enterprise has a penchant for dropping old movie names in its epsiodes.The latest movie night reference was Rosemarys Baby.So it seems safe to assume that many of the crew (and humans in general) have seen old movies like Invasion of Body Snatchers ,War of the Worlds,Independence Day,V,X-Files etc etc.Movies that show the Earth invaded or menaced by hostile aliens -a reality that was never met until the Xindi attack in 2153. Is it possible that such an attack could have driven a deep and long lasting isolationist/xenophobic streak into Earths population that could have prevented the formation of Federation and is still present in the 24th century when you consider Section 31 . It seems to me that segements Earth society would still be far less liberal and progressive in the 22nd century than by time of 24th-the Xindi attack would underline that it seems. Any and all ideas appreciated.

I agree that the Xindi problem could fuel the fire that is Section 31, but how could humans end up being isolationist oe xenophobes? In 8 years Earth co-founds the Federation which is completely opposite to an isolationist approach.

Interesting thought, would we kind of close in and take a more "humanistic" view or try to expand our knowledge of the universe by forging ahead?

I think we would continue forward, it's in our nature to continue to strive for new knowledge and new understanding. Yes, we would have those among us that might wish to withdraw from space but I don't think they would win out.

Interesting thought, would we kind of close in and take a more "humanistic" view or try to expand our knowledge of the universe by forging ahead?

I think we would continue forward, it's in our nature to continue to strive for new knowledge and new understanding. Yes, we would have those among us that might wish to withdraw from space but I don't think they would win out.

I agree with VBG, we might give things a second thought but we would continue with space exploration since it has to much to offer to ignore.

Remember they had been dealing with the Vulcans on Earth for decades. They had been also dealing with other races through the trade routes the space boomers took, and the worlds they visited trading. So they had already had a variety of experience with alien species, including some, like the Nosicans, that appear hostile.

The Xindi attack was different in that it was genocidal. But Earth has memories of attempted genocide and handling the aftermath: the holocaust in the 1940's, Cambodia, Rwanda (sp?) in Africa. I just saw a report on the news hour with Jim Lehrer talking about how the government in Rwanda released from prison many persons responsible for the the slaughter there, and are trying to get the former vicitms and former perpetrators to live together again.

We now know that before the Xindi were manipulated into attacking Earth from someone from the future, they were destined to become allies with Earth. Perhaps one of the outcomes of this series of events is that Earth will find a way to peacefully co-exist with the Xindi ( much like the US always seems to deal peacefully with its former enemies---Japan, Germany, Vietnam), giving a further example to the Vulcans and Andorians.

But the majority of the Earth would never become isolationist.

Edited by mjham