Sign in to follow this  
Trekmachine

Women In Control In Fuller's Hoped-For Star Trek

Rosario Dawson as Star Trek's newest recruit? A black female hard-ass Starfleet captain? Two reasons why we wish that Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller's Star Trek dream could come true.

Given our love of Fuller's Pushing Daisies, as well as his sterling work turning Heroes around these past few weeks, you'd think that the writer/producer taking on a new Trek series would be a no-brainer, but as he explained to Sci-Fi Wire, that's not necessarily the case:

It's sort of a pipe dream, like, "Wouldn't it be great if I could do that?" Those decisions are held by other people, so I've just said I'd love to do it. It's something that was very pivotal to my childhood and growing up. There's nothing official... I have a very specific take I'd like to do, but no official conversations have been had. I know CBS owns the rights to the television series. Everyone will probably want to see how the movie does, and I think it's gonna be huge. I'm just lighting a little Star Trek candle in the window and hope it comes to pass one day.

And what kind of Trek would he like to deliver? He's not saying much, but we're definitely interested in what he does have to say:

I'd love to do what Ron Moore did with Battlestar Galactica, which is redefine an existing franchise, knock down certain barriers of perception and make it accessible to a broader audience... I want Rosario Dawson. She would be an interesting lead that wouldn't have to be a captain. I just find her infectiously charming. The captains are always so tough in terms of who they would be. There's ethnicity, gender and all these factors to consider. Angela Bassett as a captain would rock my boat, though.

CBS may not be the most sci-fi-friendly network out there, but if the movie's as big a hit as everyone expects it to be, I can't believe that they wouldn't at least consider a new series, and I can't think of anyone who'd want to do it more than Fuller. Who do we have to beg to make this happen?

http://io9.com/5212130/women-in-control-in...d+for-star-trek

A few weeks back, TV writer/producer Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls) fired up Trekkers with his suggestion for reviving Star Trek as a TV show, complete with 1960s color and attitude.

We caught up recently with Fuller to press him on the idea, which at this point remains his own personal fever dream. The following Q&A features an edited excerpt of our exclusive interview with Fuller about all things Trek. J.J. Abrams' Star Trek movie, meanwhile, opens on May 8.

You recently expressed the desire to relaunch a Star Trek TV series in the same vein as the 1960s original series. Have you spoken to anyone about that?

Fuller: It's sort of a pipe dream, like, "Wouldn't it be great if I could do that?" Those decisions are held by other people, so I've just said I'd love to do it. It's something that was very pivotal to my childhood and growing up. There's nothing official.

Given the upcoming Star Trek movie reboot, have you discussed your ideas with director J.J. Abrams?

Fuller: Not in any official capacity. I've had interactions with him, and he's a really nice guy. I would love to work with him in any capacity, because I'm a big fan of his work. I think they are concentrating on the feature right now, but if a television franchise came to fruition, I'm sure J.J. would be involved in some capacity, and I'd love to be involved as well. It's not like "Me! Me! I want to do my idea!" I'd love to do what Ron Moore did with Battlestar Galactica, which is redefine an existing franchise, knock down certain barriers of perception and make it accessible to a broader audience.

Do you have particular storylines you'd like to focus on?

Fuller: Oh, yeah, I have a very specific take I'd like to do, but no official conversations have been had. I know CBS owns the rights to the television series. Everyone will probably want to see how the movie does, and I think it's gonna be huge. I'm just lighting a little Star Trek candle in the window and hope it comes to pass one day.

You always have strong ideas about casting. Purely speculating, which actors are on your wish list for the leads?

Fuller: I want Rosario Dawson. She would be an interesting lead that wouldn't have to be a captain. I just find her infectiously charming.

How about for the Captain Kirk archetype?

Fuller: I don't know. The captains are always so tough in terms of who they would be. There's ethnicity, gender and all these factors to consider. Angela Bassett as a captain would rock my boat, though.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/bryan-fuller-explains-his.php

Edited by Trekmachine