Sign in to follow this  
Chief_Rosco

Ds9

I'm not quite sure, but I believe it was told in season one. . . . I cant rember which episode, but I think they said from either 3-8 hundered residents. You''re just going to have to force me to watch all of them again to make sure. :quark:

Daemon

I'll have to look and find it but I believe it was more like 3,000 to 8,000. Think of the size of the station in relationship to the Enterprise D when it was docked to it. DS9 is a pretty big station.

The total population of DS9 is mentioned in a season 2 episode. I can't remember the name of the episode but I do remember it was about a group of aliens that thought Bajor was their new home planet. These aliens got through the wormhole and at first, the universal translators were having problems deciphering their language patterns. They really liked Kira in the beginning but when she told them they couldn't settle of Bajor, she wasn't too popular. Anyway, Odo told Sisko (or someone else) that DS9 could only hold 7000 people and their was no way three million of the aliens could come aboard. I'm not sure if 7000 people were living on the station at the time though.

Madam Captain out!!

Ah Ha!!!.  I found it. I knew I wasn't going nuts.  In Season 1 episode 406 Captive Persuite  the alian Tosk ask O'brian how many live here and O'brian answers 300 more or less

That's how many live there but that's not it's capacity. Think of the Enterprise D when it was docked there in Episode 1.

PDVD_017.JPG

Remember, there's over 1000 people on the Enterprise D.

Nope, your all wrong.

According to Avatar Book II;

The Population is 7500, as told By Kira To A Commander(can't remember his name) when they had to evacuate the station (DS9)

Now, wait - probably they're ALL right, depending on the actual question.

Are you asking what is the semi/permanent number? Remember that DS9 is, in many ways, an airport. People come in, stay a while, and leave. There's no way that 7500 people live on the station permanently.

In the season 3 episode Civil Defense Gul Dukat says to Kira:

"Are you really prepared to let over 2000 people die just because you don't like Cardassians"..

Gul Dukat was going to let the station blow up if Kira didn't let him take command over the station.

So I'm guessing there are about 2000 people stationed on DS9..

Edited by Stelfan

In the season 3 episode Civil Defense Gul Dukat says to Kira:

"Are you really prepared to let over 2000 people die just because you don't like Cardassians"..

Gul Dukat was going to let the station blow up if Kira didn't let him take command over the station.

So I'm guessing there are about 2000 people stationed on DS9..

That number sounds more logical than 7,000 permanent residents, Stelfan, but we also run the possibility that he scanned the station on his way in and knew roughly how many people were aboard.

Also keep in mind that we can't consider anything in the books as canon. The population will range in size from day to day, week to week because ships are in and out all the time.

Also keep in mind that we can't consider anything in the books as canon. The population will range in size from day to day, week to week because ships are in and out all the time.

I consider the DS9: Technical Manual to be canon VBG.

ST: DS9 Technical Manual

Page 106

Section 12.4 Crew and Resident Quarters; Second Paragraph

Some 452 large residential quarters were originally constructed by the Cardassians, reserved for high-ranking officers.  Another 231 smaller quarters were assigned to lower-ranking officers and some Bajoran nationals working for the Cardassians.  The current habitat ring assignments are given to Starfleet and Bajoran crews, diplomats and other dignitaries, and some commercial operators and transient ship crews.

A total of 343 additional quarters are maintained in the Mid-Core for overflow transient ship crews, for some engineering and security support personnel, and as contingency accommodations for evacuees or refugees.

So you all can see that the station can hold quite a few people!

:cool:

Edited by shadowfigment

I consider the DS9: Technical Manual to be canon VBG.

Officially though the only things that are canon are those things that are on the screen and 2 books.

It was the season 2 episode "Sanctuary" where Odo tells the alien woman that DS9 can only hold 7,000 people. That could be interpreted a couple of ways. It could mean that DS9 can only hold an additional 7,000 people aside from the 300 to 2,000 residents currently there or DS9 can only hold a total of 7,000 people.

I tend to think the 7,000 number would be the total amount, and it may also be possible that the 7,000 number was just an arbitrary number that the writer came up with and TPTB could have intended that number to be larger or smaller. But since it's on the screen it's canon.