Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Why does there have to be a best movie?

I fail to see the need to "rank" the movies from best to worst. The way I see it, a movie is either great, good, ok, or bad. If you liked the movie, why does it matter how it compares to the other movies? I'd like to understand why some need to rank the movies as the idea of doing so baffles me.

Personally, I've enjoyed all 10 movies. My only complaint is that two of them are slow, and one of them sacrifices character development for extra action.

I rank the movies in the order they're released. ;)

It just makes more sense that way. I've loved ranking things since I was a little kid, and it's no different today. It's nearly impossible, entertainment-wise, to have 10 or so diferent things you like exactly the same amount - something's going to be at the top and something's going to be at the bottom. In fact, your method does nearly the same thing; instead of ranking by "1", "2", "3", "4", you replace them with "great", "good", "ok", or "bad". It's still another ranking system. I love college basketball polls, and it just wouldn't work to say that the top 25 teams are all good, and we don't want to rank some above the others. It may seem like an odd comparison, but it isn't all that dissimilar.

Anyways, to each his own. I just like ranks, but it's no big deal. ;)

For those wondering, I only typed this much because I'm avoiding work right now. ;)

Chronology is the best way for me. I like them all. each for their differing reasons, comical value, drama, action etc.

I don't really rate movies though. Either I don't like it, it was OK, it was good, or it was excellent. I only get the movie on DVD if it's a favorite. As for my favorite movies, I just keep them in alphabetical order. Usually I just have a "favorite" while I like everything else equally. ;)

I fail to see the need to "rank" the movies from best to worst.  The way I see it, a movie is either great, good, ok, or bad.

The way I see it, a movie is either great, good, ok, or bad.

Isn't that a ranking structure other then release date?

I don't really rate movies though.  Either I don't like it, it was OK, it was good, or it was excellent.  I only get the movie on DVD if it's a favorite.  As for my favorite movies, I just keep them in alphabetical order.  Usually I just have a "favorite" while I like everything else equally. ;)

You are making what is called a value judgement, which is in itself a form of rating.

I fail to see the need to "rank" the movies from best to worst.  The way I see it, a movie is either great, good, ok, or bad.

That is how I judge movies, that is not how I rank them. ;)

Ranking a movie is a judgment. In my Judgement I have deemed Star Trek II to be the best and Star Trek V to be the worst. So that would mean that in my judgement Star Trek II is 1st and Star Trek V is 10th.

You're making a distinction where none exists. Rank, Judge it's the same thing in this instance.

Ranking a movie is a judgment. In my Judgement I have deemed Star Trek II to be the best and Star Trek V to be the worst. So that would mean that in my judgement Star Trek II is 1st and Star Trek V is 10th.

You're making a distinction where none exists. Rank, Judge it's the same thing in this instance.

You are wrong. I checked the dictionary. Rank means to place in a line of order where as judge means to form an opinion.

I might judge Insurrection as being my favorite movie, but I rank the movies in order of release, placing Insurrection in 9th place.

In some instant, rank and judge may mean the same thing, but not here. If you do not believe me, check the dictionary, find the meaning of the word in relation to context of this thread and you will see that I am right. I do not make things up.

You are wrong.

VBG is the creator, hence he can't be wrong! ;) That's my arguement!

To judge something does not always have to mean that you are ranking it, however when you place your judgements into catorgories (Good, bad, poor) as you stated, you are rating them on that basis.

You are wrong.  I checked the dictionary.

You're not going to find real life in the Dictionary, not everything is to the letter of a definition in a dictionary.

If I rank the Star Trek movies (or anything else similar) then what is that? Is that the hard and true ranking? If I tell you the final rankings of the 2003 NFL season what is that? Are those two things going to go by the same exact definition?

No, there is a difference. When I rank a group of movies I am giving my Opinion. When I give the final rankings of the 2003 NFL I am giving you their final statistical raking, not opinion.

But here's a few definitions of "Rank" and "Ranking"

**A relative position or degree of value in a graded group. **

The one from above is the one that I believe is relevant. Now, you have to see what the term "Relative" means, I'll include that here at the top.

3 : not absolute or independent

A relative position in a society.

An official position or grade: the rank of sergeant.

A relative position or degree of value in a graded group.

High or eminent station or position: persons of rank.

A row, line, series, or range.

A line of soldiers, vehicles, or equipment standing side by side in close order.

ranks The armed forces.

ranks Personnel, especially enlisted military personnel.

ranks A body of people classed together; numbers: joined the ranks of the unemployed.

Games. Any of the rows of squares running crosswise to the files on a playing board in chess or checkers.

http://63.240.197.92/cgi-bin/mwdictaj?rank

Main Entry: 1rank

Pronunciation: 'ra[ng]k

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English ranc overbearing, strong; akin to Old Norse rakkr erect and perhaps to Old English riht right -- more at RIGHT

Date: 13th century

1 : luxuriantly or excessively vigorous in growth

2 : offensively gross or coarse : FOUL

3 obsolete : grown too large

4 a : shockingly conspicuous <must lecture him on his rank disloyalty -- David Walden> b : OUTRIGHT -- used as an intensive <rank beginners>

5 archaic : LUSTFUL, RUTTISH

6 : offensive in odor or flavor; especially : RANCID

7 : PUTRID, FESTERING

8 : high in amount or degree : FRAUGHT

synonym see MALODOROUS, FLAGRANT

- rank·ly adverb

- rank·ness noun

http://63.240.197.92/cgi-bin/mwdictaj?ranking

Main Entry: 3rank

Date: 1573

transitive senses

1 : to arrange in lines or in a regular formation

2 : to determine the relative position of : RATE

3 : to take precedence of

intransitive senses

1 : to form or move in ranks

2 : to take or have a position in relation to others

You are wrong.  I checked the dictionary.

You're not going to find real life in the Dictionary, not everything is to the letter of a definition in a dictionary.

Real life may not be in the dictionary, but the deffinition of the words we use is. ;)

If I rank the Star Trek movies (or anything else similar) then what is that?

It is the order you have arranged them.

Is that the hard and true ranking?

Depends on the context.

If I tell you the final rankings of the 2003 NFL season what is that?

I don't know, I don't watch football.

Are those two things going to go by the same exact definition?

No.

No, there is a difference.

I agree.

When I rank a group of movies I am giving my Opinion.

Your opinion and your own special way of putting them in order.

When I give the final rankings of the 2003 NFL I am giving you their final statistical raking, not opinion.

I don't know enough about football to respond.

In context to this discussion, here is how I define rank and judgement.

Main Entry: [3]rank

Date: 1573

transitive senses

1 : to arrange in lines or in a regular formation

2 : to determine the relative position of : RATE

3 : to take precedence of

intransitive senses

1 : to form or move in ranks

2 : to take or have a position in relation to others

Main Entry: [1]judge

Pronunciation: 'j&j

Function: verb

Inflected Form(s): judged; judg·ing

Etymology: Middle English juggen, from Old French jugier, from Latin judicare, from judic-, judex judge, from jus right, law + dicere to decide, say —more at JUST, DICTION

Date: 13th century

transitive senses

1 : to form an opinion about through careful weighing of evidence and testing of premises

2 : to sit in judgment on : TRY

3 : to determine or pronounce after inquiry and deliberation

4 : GOVERN, RULE — used of a Hebrew tribal leader

5 : to form an estimate or evaluation of; especially : to form a negative opinion about <shouldn't judge him because of his accent>

6 : to hold as an opinion : GUESS, THINK <I judge she knew what she was doing>

intransitive senses

1 : to form an opinion

2 : to decide as a judge

synonym see INFER

- judg·er noun

Real life may not be in the dictionary, but the deffinition of the words we use is. ;)

How many definitions are there for any given word? Not only that you also have to look at context.

You Rank them by saying what's best, good, bad etc. That is your opinion, that is your judgment. That is your Ranking.

Step out of the book, not everything is black and white in life. ;)

By the way, you haven't responded to my questions with regard to the challenge you accepted about Survivor in the Reality TV thread. http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?showtopic=8968

You Rank them by saying what's best, good, bad etc. That is your opinion, that is your judgment. That is your Ranking.

Actually, the movies are lined up in chronological order on my shelf, so they are not ranked by good, bad, ect. Some, I like better than others, but their order is chronological.

Actually, the movies are lined up in chronological order on my shelf, so they are not ranked by good, bad, ect.  Some, I like better than others, but their order is chronological.

That is a ranking.

You're confusing me, CJLP. ;) What's all this about their order on your shelf? I rank the movies from my favorite to least favorite, but in my movie cabinet, they're always in order from TMP to NEM. ;)

(been away for a couple of days; just saw the post)

Must be. I'll always tell you which eps I like better than others, but I'm a little strict on having movies and taped shows in chronological order in my cabinet. :ph34r:

Any other thoughts?

I personally like to rank the movies so when i want to watch one it makes it a little easier on myself to choose which.. personally i loved all the movies except for star trek V .... i didnt like it one bit (except for the beginning .. row row row your boat lmao and the scotty scene where he "knows the ship like the back of his hand")

I was under the impression that the way you rank the movies is the order of which they're on your DVD shelf.  Miss-communication somewhere perhaps?

I have never seen anyone who puts their dvd's in any other order than chronological.. It seems pretty logical that you start with 1 and go from there..

Otherwise my DVD's would change places pretty often.

Even if I should think that the letter "g" is the greatest I wouldn't put it in the beginning of the alphabet.

I do not really rank them either- all I know is the The Undiscovered Country was my favorite (heehee, see my screen name). They are in order from 1 to 10 on my shelf too.

I've been watching this thread off and on, and think I'll finally reply.

First, as an English teacher - the English language does not run on denotation (dictionary definition) alone. There is also connotation (common definition). That's how languages grow and change. If they did not, the language would die. And even the Oxford English Dictionary, the premier dictionary for the English language in the world, recognizes that they are behind in documenting language growth the moment they are published, and they can't put out new volumes for decades, not years. Also, different dictionaries list different definitions - some of them may be more up-to-date, or word things differently. To get a more exact idea of definition, you have to consult more than one dictionary, even if you use the OED. (They pride themselves on covering every word in the English language, from its beginnings to the present.)

Okay, switching to Star Trek - my movies are mixed in with my others alphabetically by sub-title. ("Star Trek" doesn't count for me - "The" doesn't count, period. "Undiscovered Country" is with the "U's," for example.) My tv dvd's are separate - and they're chronological. At this point, I only have DS9, seasons 1-6, and they're in order.

It's a human tendency....

They should conform to our perfection....

Resistance is futile....