Quentin Tarintino

What is Quentin Tarintino?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What is Quentin Tarintino?

• A film master and directorial genius.
    • An insane moron bent on violence.
    • Somewhere in the middle.
    • Who is Tarintino??

I'm not quite sure. I love Reservoir Dogs but I have heard Kill Bill V1 is insanely violent. I have yet to see Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

I haven't seen any of his movies, but based on a Jay Leno appearance,,, insane. Well, more like insanely drunk. :)

I voted somewhere in the middle. Yes Tarintino is a very good director and RD was interesting for the use of real time, however I feel he is too influenced on others rather than define his own style.

That's not what all the critics think. They criticize other movies for being too Tarintino-like. But he is a huge film buff, and he does take a lot of ideas from elsewhere, so I do agree with you.

I voted somewhere in the middle. Yes Tarintino is a very good director and RD was interesting for the use of real time, however I feel he is too influenced on others rather than define his own style.

That's not what all the critics think. They criticize other movies for being too Tarintino-like. But he is a huge film buff, and he does take a lot of ideas from elsewhere, so I do agree with you.

I know that the general consensus of critics would very likely disagree with me which is why I believe he is slightly over-rated by those who think he is one of the best directors of all time. Personally, the only film that I have really enjoyed of his was RD, but I have found later films are just packed with too many references or send ups of other films.

When you look at a great director such as Hitchcock it is obvious that he has taken some of his style from the early German expressionists, however Hitchcock consumed what had already been achieved and applied aspects into a different direction. To put the contrast between these two directors more clearly, I believe that Hitchcock stepped forward to become one of the greatest directors in cinema history, while Tarintino appears to be happy to remain in the shadow of others, as a protégé rather than a master.

Having said all that Tarintino is still one of the best directors around at the moment but needs to move on a level before he could ever be compared with the best.

Well Kill Bill looks pretty weak. It's a kung-fu movie.

I think that Guy Ritchie (Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch) is a far superior director. That is... until he married Madonna. But there is supposedly a new project in the works where he goes back to his original movie style (see the aforementioned films) about las vegas gambling.

Well Kill Bill looks pretty weak. It's a kung-fu movie.

I think that Guy Ritchie (Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch) is a far superior director. That is... until he married Madonna. But there is supposedly a new project in the works where he goes back to his original movie style (see the aforementioned films) about las vegas gambling.

Anyone who can make Vinny Jones a movie star has to be good! :lol:

At the moment I am not quite sure who I would consider a great modern director. The only one that I think will fall into that area will be Steven Spielberg, and that would largely be because of Schindler's List, a film that IMO belongs within a group of films as the best ever made.

Ok so does anybody have any new opinions...

Since seeing Kill Bill 1 & 2, it is official. He is a genius. Absolutely amazing director. Wow. To do what he does on screen, making a potentially pathetic movie into one of the most entertaining of the brainless films ever, is amazing.

I thinks he's insane but also a great director... but horribly violent...

like me... :waaaa:

I think he's somewhere in between. He's awesome, and crazy enough to break the rules. But like all people, he makes mistakes... like Kill Bill Vol. 2! :waaaa:

I think he's somewhere in between. He's awesome, and crazy enough to break the rules. But like all people, he makes mistakes... like Kill Bill Vol. 2! :waaaa:

No way. Kill Bill 2, although not as good as #1, was still a great movie. The first one he tried something new, and he went back to witty dialogue in the second. I liked it. As a movie by itself, sure it is boring, but joined with the first, it is great.

I think he's just insane. On the one hand he complains about all the violence in society, but on the other he makes some of the most violent (not to mention stupid) movies of all time. Give me a nice, peaceful comedy or something that makes you think, i get enough violence from the media as it is :waaaa:.

I voted "A film master and directorial genius." I love his non-linear approach in his films. Great stuff.

I have seen all of his movies... Reservoir Dogs, True Romance, Natural Born Killers (story written by Tarintino), Pulp Fiction, Four Rooms, From Dusk Til' Dawn (screenplay written by Tarintino), Jackie Brown, Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2 and they all have a lot of violence and profanity. I am a guy who likes violent movies with a lot of profanity.

One thing I like about Tarintino is that he makes movies that he wants to see. He always wanted to make a spaghetti western / kung-fu movie and he did with the Kill Bill series. I loved the different styles incoroperated into the KB movies.

Tarintino is not for everyone. Either you love or hate him (with no middle ground). Personally I love his films and his dialogue. He is a straight foward writer & director and I like that.

He's a genius! I've seen most of his movies and enjoyed each one. Eventually I hope to get them all on DVD. Kill Bill Part 1 is totally awsome!!! :waaaa: Haven't seen Part 2 yet.

I think he is a film master and directorial genius,i love all his films some are better then others but i have all of them on dvd my fav being Pulp fiction not only was it the rebirth of john travolta but it set Mr samuel jackson off on his way to be one of the best actors ever :) ...more please Mr.Tarintino :)