Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Time Travel

Was there too much time travel, and 'alternate time-line/set in the past' episodes on Voyager? What I mean is...

'Time and Again' - Voyager events occur in a time line which is erased at the end of the episode

'Non Sequitur' - Harry Kim awakens in an alternate time line

'Flash back' - through a mind-meld Janeway and Tuvok are taken back to the time of Star Trek 6 (i know not literally and just in Tuvok's head)

'Future's End' - the crew go back to 1996

'Before and After' - Kes time travels back and forth

'Year of Hell' - alternate future, re-set at end

'11.59' - flashback set at the end of 1999

'Fury' - Kes time travels

'Shattered' - time is shattered giving different time periods within the ship

'Endgame' - we all know this one!!!!

This is not to mention all the tother minor references to past things like Friendship One, the 37's, etc etc

Compared to TNG, this is quite a lot. I'm not criticising though, because I love time travel episodes. But you have to admit, that it was a popular story telling mechanism.

I think that sense Voyager was on the other side of the galaxy and they couldn't rely on themes like the Federation, Klingons, going to starbases, meeting other Federation ships, and so forth... they decided to have "time travel" be a popular theme for the show. Personally, I loved VOY having loads of time travel! ;) They even made a joke about it at the end of "Relativity" when the Relativity ship commander tells Janeway she shows up on their scans far too often and to avoid time travel in the future. :lol:

I actually like thinking about time paradoxes. Confusing as heck, and I never get anywhere with them, but cool none the less. I also liked how they took time travel and incorperated it in so many different ways. Very nice story-writers.

Was there too much time travel, and 'alternate time-line/set in the past' episodes on Voyager? What I mean is...

'Time and Again' - Voyager events occur in a time line which is erased at the end of the episode

'Non Sequitur' - Harry Kim awakens in an alternate time line

'Flash back' - through a mind-meld Janeway and Tuvok are taken back to the time of Star Trek 6 (i know not literally and just in Tuvok's head)

'Future's End' - the crew go back to 1996

'Before and After' - Kes time travels back and forth

'Year of Hell' - alternate future, re-set at end

'11.59' - flashback set at the end of 1999

'Fury' - Kes time travels

'Shattered' - time is shattered giving different time periods within the ship

'Endgame' - we all know this one!!!!

This is not to mention all the tother minor references to past things like Friendship One, the 37's, etc etc

Compared to TNG, this is quite a lot. I'm not criticising though, because I love time travel episodes. But you have to admit, that it was a popular story telling mechanism.

I don't think it was used too much. Some of the above episodes while set in the past aren't really "time travel" though. "11:59", "Flash back" and "Non Sequitur" to be specific, "Non Sequitur" is an alternate time line but is current with Voyager's time Time line line, just alternate. The other 2 are either either memories or the visualization of a story being told.

Of course one that was left off the list is "Relativity" and I loved that episode.

I think that sense Voyager was on the other side of the galaxy and they couldn't rely on themes like the Federation, Klingons, going to starbases, meeting other Federation ships, and so forth... they decided to have "time travel" be a popular theme for the show. Personally, I loved VOY having loads of time travel! :) They even made a joke about it at the end of "Relativity" when the Relativity ship commander tells Janeway she shows up on their scans far too often and to avoid time travel in the future. :)

I actually like thinking about time paradoxes. -snip- I also liked how they took time travel and incorperated it in so many different ways. Very nice story-writers.

Agreed. I also liked the TT stories in ENT.

It seems to me that Time Travel was something that a lot of Trek Series liked to do.

Gene Roddenberry wanted one of the movies to be where Kirk and Co. went back in time to prevent the assassination of JFK. He didn't get his wish.

Time Travel and AU are my favorite eps. Couldn't have enough for me.

I couldn't agree more! I love time travel and alternate universes, in other Star Trek series and in other sci-fi series, particularly in Stargate.

Edited by trekz

VOY's time travel wasn't too bad, and besides which, the time travel methods themselves weren't always the same, so it didn't get *too* cookie cutter.

Besides which, "Shattered" is one of my fave VOY episodes.

When I write fanfic it's always time travel or AU. Just find it the most interesting.

Always wished Voyager had made it to the AU. I know some people feel a couple of eps. they did were AU but I mean to the real AU. The one ruled by the Empire.

I like the Bill and Ted apprach to time-travel.

ie We'll remember to go back and put a hammer behind that post.

We'll remember to go back and put ...

etc

First Contact could've gone like this -

Borg Queen - "Damn you Pic-Ard, Locut - hissssss.... (right Queenie, remember to put a big pair of shears behind that tubing)"

Jean Luc shimmies up the tube after the Queen (hold on - where'd she get those gardening shears - ARGH!)