master_q

2001 vs. TMP

Star Trek The Motion Picture vs. 2001: A Space Odyssey  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek The Motion Picture vs. 2001: A Space Odyssey

• Star Trek The Motion Picture
    • 2001: A Space Odyssey
    • I never saw *both* of those movies so I can't pick

To expand on my post under the topic “ST The Motion Picture.” I compared it to the movie “2001: A Space Odyssey”

And I said that I think ST TMP wins hands down

What do you think?

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

2001 is undoubtedly a classic of modern cinema. It showed views of the Earth and technology beyond the comprehension of audiences in the 60s. However. I hate Kubric and have never been able to focus my attention long enough to watch the film. I know that The Motion Picture is probably overall less significant in the world of cinema, and the storyline is a little less cerebrial but I prefer it. More dialogue and Trek Trek Trekkkkk..... :)

Sorry to disagree, but 2001 has it all over TMP. Why? 2001 was a bold and daring attempt to re-create space pictures and to show them as realistically as possible. An incredible feat for the time and it succeeded wonderously. The movie was released in 1968 but the production on it was started a good two years prior to that. At that time, NASA was still in the gemini stage of the space program and was still learning how to control orbiting spacecraft. 2001 gave us all the most realistic view of space travel ever shown outside of documentaries. Even the wave of films that came ten years later have never been able to touch on the realism that Kubrick portrayed. Nowadays, entertainment factors like SFX and ships behaving like they have wings and flying aerodynamically are more the norm. In fact, 2001 is still the standard by which visual space effects are still judged by. TMP, I'm afraid, was just entertainment value for the Star Trek fans. Out of all the ST movies, I would still have to say that TMP is tied with "The Final Frontier", as my least favorite. Robert Wise did the best he could but he was so unfamiliar with the ST universe that it just never translated well. Yes, the storyline to 2001 may be convuluted and difficult to follow but once you do take the time to understand what's going on, you realize that it's a science fiction masterpiece. If you're having trouble paying attention to the film, I'd say that's more of a commentary on the short attention spans of todays viewers rather than the movie making skills of the director.

To be fair about this, I would have to go back and re-watch 2001. It's been years since I've seen it and even at the time there were aspects of the film which I didn't like.

I'm sure everything Xenexian said is true, but as a die-hard Trek fan, I'd probably go with TMP. However, I didn't vote, since I don't feel I can be fair about it.

Maybe in the over all picture 2001 will stand the test of time better then TMP, butas has been stated it was a very hard to follow movie. I have seen it several times, I own both 2001 and 2010 as well as all the Star Trek movies (Of course). I think the main reason anyone goes to a movie is to be entertained, both movies did that well but TMP did it better IMO. That's not to invalidate 2001, it's just that TMP was better in terms of entertainment.

2001 was and still is a classic though.

I'm sure some of you know the answer to this question but here it is, In 2001 the ships computer was named H.A.L. Where did the writers come up with that name for the computer?

Maybe in the over all picture 2001 will stand the test of time better then TMP, butas has been stated it was a very hard to follow movie. I have seen it several times, I own both 2001 and 2010 as well as all the Star Trek movies (Of course). I think the main reason anyone goes to a movie is to be entertained, both movies did that well but TMP did it better IMO. That's not to invalidate 2001, it's just that TMP was better in terms of entertainment.

2001 was and still is a classic though.

I'm sure some of you know the answer to this question but here it is, In 2001 the ships computer was named H.A.L. Where did the writers come up with that name for the computer?

I haven't seen both movies. I recall watching some of 2001 when I was pretty young but it really bored me. I should probably watch it now that I have more sophisiticated tastes as an adult. :)

VBG, I found this at an on-line encylopedia. Hope it helps:

Many people think the name was taken from IBM (because H precedes I, A precedes B and L precedes M alphabetically). Arthur C. Clarke denied such wordplay (even getting one of his characters to deny it in the sequel 2010 Odyssey Two) and says that the name actually means Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer. Many find this denial unconvincing. (Note that the HAL 9000 nameplate is modelled on similar nameplates for IBM computers). A similar alphabetic shift is behind the abbreviation WNT for Windows NT.