Sign in to follow this  
t'mir

The Beatles

What do you think of them?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of them?

• The Beatles ROCK! I'm a diehard.
    • They're O.K.
    • They were great, but I like newer music.
    • I never really was a fan.
    • No opinion. (Boring!)

This may seem like an odd topic, but this year marking the 40-year anniversary of the Beatles' first visit to the States along with the many tributes being paid lately, I was curious what people think. Personally, I love them and I totally think they are timeless. :eek:

They're O.K. I like their music well enough. I don't consider myself a die hard fan but I do like hearing their music occasionally..I'm glad I wasn't around during the whole Beatlemania thing tho..That looked like it was crazy..And I never understood going that nuts over a music group..To each his own..

I voted they rock! I'm not a die-hard, but alot of their music is absolutely amazing. Ever since I heard "Elanor Rigby", I've really liked their music. They truly are timeless.

They're ok, I'm more of a Folk Rock fan so the oldies I listen to are Bob Dylan, simon and garfunk, and Don Maclean.

:bow::bow: Huge Bob Dylan fan here. I think I knew every word to almost every one of his songs by the time I was about four years old.

They're ok, I'm more of a Folk Rock fan so the oldies I listen to are Bob Dylan, simon and garfunk, and Don Maclean.

:bow::bow: Huge Bob Dylan fan here. I think I knew every word to almost every one of his songs by the time I was about four years old.

Wow! Really? whats your favorite song?

I am more of a techno lover my self but i like the

beatles too my fav is "I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND"

Wow! Really? whats your favorite song?

Bob Dylan's 115th Dream. I know, of all his deep songs I pick that one, but it cracks me up. B) I don't think I could choose after that, I love it all.

Can,t wait untill the other two are also Dead

Makes my record,s more money worth

:bow::bow:

..................................................................................

effe lekker seven beffe

The Beatles ROCK!!! Love that band, I still remember seeing them on Ed Sullivan their first time here in the states, you could hardly hear the music over the screams of the kids in the audience.

My favorite albums are "Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "The White Album"

Edited by Klingonmike

Guest Ktrek

The Beatles for their time were a good band. They pushed boundaries and showed that Rock could be more than just dance music. When I was a teenager in the 70's I loved the Beatles and had all their albums collectively and solo. I went in phases as to who was my favorite Beatle. One week I would listen to all the George Harrison songs and his solo albums then the next I'd be cookin' on John Lennon's cool lyrics and the the next grooving to the "pop" tunes of McCartney. Never cared all that much for Ringo but because he was a Beatle even he was played on a regular basis. Without the Beatles there never would have been cutting edge bands like "YES" or Jethro Tull or any other "progressive" rock bands. They paved the way. Looking back now I can honestly say that the Beatles were not "that" good. Some of their music has enduring and endearing qualities but looked at as a whole they fail in many ways.

Today I listen mostly to music of the 20's to the early 50's and have found rock-n-roll to be worn and tired and juvenile. I am also an avid fan of traditional jazz like Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck etc and I think classical music is awesome. However, my love for these other styles of music still has it's roots with the Beatles and their ability to play many styles effectively. So my hat is off to them for getting me started on my musical discoveries but if I never hear another Beatle song I would not mourn!

Ktrek

With 2 older brothers that liked them I know all of their music. I never liked it though and never thought John Lennon was very talented.

While "Hate" is a really strong word to use I will say this, if their music comes on the radio or TV while I am tuned in I change it on the first recognized note.

I suppose I like them because I can sing a lot of their tunes, however, I like newer stuff, mainly because I like hearing something that isn't my childhood. I like varience.

I agree, T'mir, the Beatles are timeless. The fact that there is talk about the 40th anniversary and that their music is still being played and re-recorded today, despite having two members pass on, is proof of that. Todays generation x, y and z just don't have enough years under their belt yet to appreciate what the Beatles have done anymore then I did during the sixties and hearing my father talk about the swing bands of the 30's and 40's. It is a generational thing but when one gets older there is a tendancy to begin looking past the bridge of your nose and realize that there is much more to everything then just what you were mass exposed to as a youth. Yes, to some the music is dated and boring but it's simplicity and it's ability to catch the ear is something that most of todays music doesn't have and very few will. Would most of todays artists be as popular if they had to rely solely on their musical abilities instead of how good they look lip-syncing in a post-produced video? Something tells me no. I used to think that classical composers had no place in todays modern world yet after more than 200 years for most, they are still there. 200 years from now I suspect the Beatles will still be around as well unlike most of todays pre-packaged acts. Even now, has anyone really said anything about the longevity of say, Kurt Cobaine? Outside of being another in a list of tragic rock artists, will his music still be talked about even 10 years from now? The Beatles will always be there.

The Beatles rocked! :laugh: :cool1:

They are truely timeless, and I have never grown weary of their songs...

I listen to the documentary series: "The Beatles Years" every week, and enjoy listening to them when they come on...

I can quote all of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"...

A good band, they are. :laugh:

Goo goo g'joob...

lastresort.jpg42.gif

I never really was a fan.

I'm just young and obsessed with Classical music... :)

Can,t wait untill the other two are also Dead

Makes my record,s more money worth

:)  :)

..................................................................................

effe lekker seven beffe

124242[/snapback]

Well, ILS, you've JUST topped yourself in the MOST insensitive thing I've ever see you write. :rofl: But, I still like you. ILILS :huh: {I Like ILikeSeven}

I have picked up some of the old Beatles Vinyl at yardsales and secondhand stores. I do like the songs that were big hits, but I have discovered alot of songs I had never heard before that I really love.

I voted they rock! I'm not a die-hard, but alot of their music is absolutely amazing. Ever since I heard "Elanor Rigby", I've really liked their music. They truly are timeless.

123830[/snapback]

Eleanor Rigby is my favorite Beatles song! And there are so many to choose from. Eleanor Rigby is just so poignant to me, because I am more of a lyrics hound and not necessarily approaching from an instrumental standpoint.

While I enjoy most of the solo work of all of them, I really think this is a situation where the "whole is greater than the sum of its parts." They were awesome and magical together.

Timeless is indeed a word I would use to describe them.

With 2 older brothers that liked them I know all of their music. I never liked it though and never thought John Lennon was very talented.

While "Hate" is a really strong word to use I will say this, if their music comes on the radio or TV while I am tuned in I change it on the first recognized note

Kind of like me with country music. ^_^

(I never have been able to figure out how to quote two posts in the same reply! I've now screwed up the original quote in my post. Oh well, I guess I'm going to go practice my posting techniques.)

Edited by Alterego

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." La Ahhhhh!

I love this line from "The Weight" ^_^ :dude: