Sign in to follow this  
~Crims~

The Siege Of AR-558

I just saw this episode for the first time today and I think the episode is so great because you'd never see anything like it on Voyager or TNG. It was very powerful and dealt with a lot of realistic issues that the Federation infantry would face against The Dominion. Episodes like this one is why I like DS9 so much. :blink:

Not very good with titles of episodes but i'm guessing this is the ep where Nog looses his leg. Great ep, really brings home the price of war to you, like we need it in these troubled times, but also reminds us that sometimes you need to stand up and be counted

Don't know about you, but i'm behind the troops from my country ( England) 100 percent. This is by no means a political statement....it's from the heart, hope it doesn't offend anyone.

Yeah, that was the episode. Really appropiate for what's going on in the world right now too.

heroic indeed but horrific and realistic?

That's one of my favorite episodes of any Star Trek, I also like the follow up episode that came 2 episodes after that one. Called "It's Only a Paper Moon". Nog moves into the holosuite to live with Vic. Very cool episode.

People may not have noticed this but the guy that Ezri was helping fix the Communications link (Kellin) was Billy Mummy (Will Robinson from Lost In Space).

Ah...the last season of DS9 was a jewel.

Brings back memories of that caper in "Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang." :)

Ah...the last season of DS9 was a jewel.

Brings back memories of that caper in "Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang."  :bow:

That was another really good episode. I know some people dind't like the Vic episodes but I really liked them.

I also liked the growth they allowed Nogs Character to have.

i think NOG was an excellent character. i loved QUARKS strong objections to NOGS joinging starfleet, yet at the same time with his subtle undertones, he seemed to be proud of him. anyway i think he was a good way to go.

I just recently saw this episode and couldn't beleive how great it was. For the first time, I actually felt sympathetic to the people who were killed. I mean in all of trek when someone dies, its usually an extra and they don't really make a big deal about it, but this episode did such a brilliant job making that a key issue. It was a great how this episode really showed the brutalities of war. I think this episode could be summed up by the final dialouge:

Kira: Thats alot of names

Sisko: There not just names Kira...we have to remember that, we must always remember.

Sisko: There not just names Kira...we have to remember that, we must always remember.

thats deep, and is it ever so true. i dont think most people realize that in a real war. even the enemy soldiers have family that feel the same way about them as we do our own soldiers.

I actually got the quote wrong. This is what is was correctly:

Sisko: Their not just names...its important we remember that.  We have to remember.

I agree its a deep quote, but this was a deep episode.

Okay, apparently I missed alot by not seeing the final season. I give I am going to have to get caught up on them this weekend.

Okay, apparently I missed alot by not seeing the final season.  I give I am going to have to get caught up on them this weekend.

You won't be disappointed !! :wow:

Too bad they followed that ep up with a cheesy holodeck Vic the singer best friend, Nog wants to live in holodeck ep...lessened the meaning for me.

Too bad they followed that ep up with a cheesy holodeck Vic the singer best friend, Nog wants to live in holodeck ep...lessened the meaning for me.

I liked It's Only A Paper Moon, it was one that gave a bit of the Lighter Side. I liked all of the Vic episodes though.

You make a good point... but i loved that ep. I thought how great it would be if you could really hide from your problems in the holodeck. The only worry is i don't think i'd ever want to come back out.

You know, at first I thought "Its only a Paper Moon" (The episode in question) was kind of slow and cheesy, but that was before I saw ar-558. I actually got a respect for that episode because it showed the impact war has on the soul. Nog couldn't stand being weak in the outside world and his escape for rehabilitation was with Vic (Who seemed more like a councellor than Ezri ever will be) in the holodeck. I don't think it was cheesy, but it gave Seige more meaning IMO of course.

You know, at first I thought "Its only a Paper Moon" (The episode in question) was kind of slow and cheesy, but that was before I saw ar-558. I actually got a respect for that episode because it showed the impact war has on the soul. Nog couldn't stand being weak in the outside world and his escape for rehabilitation was with Vic (Who seemed more like a councellor than Ezri ever will be) in the holodeck. I don't think it was cheesy, but it gave Seige more meaning IMO of course.

I think Vic's would be a cool place to be able to go and forget the troubles of the Dominion War. Kind of a Fantasy world in the future.

Dominion War intelligence gathering demonstrates the flawed Federation battle strategy inherent in the campaign to hold AR-558 against the Dominion.

Surely,t'would have been preferable to seemingly cede the planetoid to the enemy and then detonate a Dreadnought-Type matter/antimatter explosive device,reducing both the planetoid and the Jem'Hadar to slag.

I didn't really like this episode,or the Dominion War storyline (even though I know it was a very popular arch).And most of y'all seem to like "The Siege",but I hate war.Even pretend war.Might seem odd that my favorite series was Deep Space Nine,considering.But I loved the personal relationships between all of the regulars,and even some of my fav' guest stars like Garak, and Lwaxana Troi.My favorite episodes were the ones that focused on the characters as human beings (even the aliens :thumbs: ),and let us see who they really were.

Hey, I've got a question that's really two questions: Didn't Julian get injured in this episode and also, didn't he get injured in the episode where Kira was kidnaped by the Circle? It seems odd to me that neither of these injuries is ever followed up upon unless they're being edited out in the TV reruns to make room for more commercials. I would've really liked to see Kira's reaction to Julian, whom she practically detested at this point in the series, being injured saving her. How would (did?) that have affected her relationship with Julian? Plus, not really realizing Julian had been injured in this battle at AR-558, I had thought he transported up to the rescuing ship to see after Nog and the other wounded. Is there more to all the episodes that I've been missing because I can't afford the Disc sets? Is my viewing experience of DS9 being (horror of horrors!) ABRIDGED??? Someone please let me know before the nightmares become to much for me to take anymore! Love to all, Siddigfan

What I really like about "It's Only a Paper Moon" was at the end where Leeta asked if Nog was ok and responded "No, but I will be"

I just recently saw this episode and couldn't beleive how great it was. For the first time, I actually felt sympathetic to the people who were killed. I mean in all of trek when someone dies, its usually an extra and they don't really make a big deal about it, but this episode did such a brilliant job making that a key issue. It was a great how this episode really showed the brutalities of war. I think this episode could be summed up by the final dialouge:

I watched that the other night with my brother (Sgt. Phaserman) and my husband (Gary Phaserman) and that line had all three of us in tears. at the time, it was just another great quote in a great series, but now, in this day and age, it means soo much more.

I have been watching the last season of ds9 as i got it for chistmas and it remains true and makes a political statement about the war in iraq for me. I know they never intended it to be this way but thats what it does for me

no the futility of war, the waste, the fact that ppl (namely the female shapeshifter AKA pick a world leaders name to insert here) refuse to give up, even though that would mean that many lives would be saved. I guess i am referencing moreso the whole of season seven rather than this ep only

Well I hated DS9. I thought it was even worse than the original Star Trek as viewed by today's standards and the first few seasons of Enterprise. However, having said that, this episode was the best Trek episode short of Best of Both Worlds.