Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Red Light Camera Alternative

Martha and I were waiting at a bus stop yesterday; while we waited we were watching cars blow though yellow lights that would turn red when the car was in the middle of the intersection.

(We all have had it happen to us, the light turns yellow right at that point where if we continue, the red is going to catch us in the middle of the intersection but if we try to stop, there is a good chance we will end up in a skid.)

In the 10 minutes we were engaged in doing this we saw 5 cars which, had cameras been installed at that light, would be receiving tickets in the mail for a total $1875 ($375 each) being raked into the cities coffers. In 10 minutes at ONE intersection!

Here is my idea; instead of using the technology to catch and prosecute these unfortunates who imo are being victimized for choosing between only two choices available (1. hitting the red by half an intersection or 2. skidding past the crosswalk) I think it would be better if the technology were (also) connected to the stoplight in order to cause the yellow to remain lit an extra second and give the driver time to safely clear the intersection before turning red.

The camera could still be used to catch those who enter the intersection after the the light has turned red.

Here in Fort Myers the city would make a killing in cash from people that run red lights. When the lights turn green here you have to count to 10 to make sure all the cars running the light have past. I see this every day!

I don't mean people who enter the intersection after the light is red, they are unquestionably lawbreakers and they deserve a ticket no question asked.

I'm talking about them in the middle of the intersection when the light turns red, the same technology that is going to brand them lawbreakers could be used to help them get though the intersection safely. I think it unfair they have to pay $375 based on a choice they only had a fraction of a second to make.

The camera could still be used to catch those who enter the intersection after the the light has turned red.

That's how the cameras work here in Phoenix. At least in my area, we have several right near our house. It doesn't go off unless you pass over the first crosswalk after the light has turned red. If you cross over it when it's yellow nothing happens.

Every state has it's nuances but the California Vehicle Code (and yes I've been to traffic school so I know this) says if you are moving through the intersection as the light turns red you are OK. If you are in the intersection and stop moving, however, you are in violation. It is considered a parking violation, not a moving violation, but it's an expensive one.

Here in Fort Myers the city would make a killing in cash from people that run red lights. When the lights turn green here you have to count to 10 to make sure all the cars running the light have past. I see this every day!

It's the same where I live now, especially at night when all the drunks are on the way home. I used to count to 3 (literally) when I crossed the road, but now have a better feel for things. I actually feel safer crossing the road (on foot) at places other than intersections because I know where I stand. The lights just add another element of unpredictability to the whole procedure - at least when there are no lights, it's just me and whether there are cars in range to factor in.

I've been on the other side of the equation, too. I was once stopped in Canada for "running" a red light, though how you "run" a red light at the low speed (30kph, about 20 mph) is a mystery. The intersection was covered in ice so I decided to go through without tapping the brakes to avoid what I knew would be a more dangerous situation - I was able to judge that the light was just about to turn red as I was going to enter slightly before I got the intersection. The fool who stopped said I should've been going more slowly in the first place. Maybe so, but I'd say the city had a bigger responsibility to make sure the ice wasn't smooth enough for a game of hockey at a busy intersection.

Edited by Red Shirt Volunteer

Martha and I were waiting at a bus stop yesterday; while we waited we were watching cars blow though yellow lights that would turn red when the car was in the middle of the intersection.

(We all have had it happen to us, the light turns yellow right at that point where if we continue, the red is going to catch us in the middle of the intersection but if we try to stop, there is a good chance we will end up in a skid.)

In the 10 minutes we were engaged in doing this we saw 5 cars which, had cameras been installed at that light, would be receiving tickets in the mail for a total $1875 ($375 each) being raked into the cities coffers. In 10 minutes at ONE intersection!

Here is my idea; instead of using the technology to catch and prosecute these unfortunates who imo are being victimized for choosing between only two choices available (1. hitting the red by half an intersection or 2. skidding past the crosswalk) I think it would be better if the technology were (also) connected to the stoplight in order to cause the yellow to remain lit an extra second and give the driver time to safely clear the intersection before turning red.

I agree with you Alterego...its all about $$$$.

Around here it seems like people think the red light means GO!

It isn't skidding that worries me ... it's being rear ended if I stop when I should. I wish they would ticket tailgaters more.

Anybody remember that great scene in the movie Starman - when he figured out what the yellow light meant?

How fast are these people going, I've never had a skid problem though I am a new driver :laugh:

The speed limit on the road I was given the example for is 35mph.

TheUnicornHunter Posted on Feb 1 2004, 07:13 PM It isn't skidding that worries me ... it's being rear ended if I stop when I should. I wish they would ticket tailgaters more.

Agreed. Perhaps some day each vehicle will have a sensor to detect tailgaters causing those offenders to receive a ticket by mail as well.

Edited by Alterego

I don't understand. I thought yellow meant "Go faster!" :laugh:

I went to university in SC, and it was the same situation you described, KM. You have to wait at LEAST five seconds after your light is green just to make sure you won't be hit! And in some areas I was around, people's cars cost more than their houses - and it was a crapshoot whether or not they were insured.

Anyway, I agree with the delaying of the lights - except - I can see people tailgating MORE through intersections if they knew that was happening - piggybacking on someone else.

I'd rather the "red light cameras" be done away with all together.  They're a means of control.

so you'd rather get into a car accident? and yellow lights mean to slow down, there is no excuse if you ask me basic common sense.