Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Favorite British Actress?

Do you have a favorite British actress? Who would you choose and why?

My favorite is Hayley Mills, not only was she absolutely beautiful but also a very good actress in her own right whose films still stand up today.

The daughter of film star John Mills (one of my favorite actors), she started her career at the age of thirteen with the crime drama Tiger Bay(1959). Her debut performance turned heads around the world, from Germany, where she won an award at the Berlin Film Festival, to Hollywood, when Walt Disney came knocking at her door. He signed her to a five-year contract. For her first film for the studio, Pollyanna (1960), she won critical raves, box-office success, and a special Juvenile Academy Award. Her second Disney film, The Parent Trap (1961), in which she played twins, was even more popular.

She continued to appear in routine Disney films like In Search of the Castaways (1962) and Summer Magic (1963), as well as films outside the studio like Whistle Down the Wind (1961, based on a work by her mother), in the role of a fifteen-year-old who mistakes a murderer for Jesus Christ, and The Chalk Garden (1963), again co-starring with her father. But in 1966 she starred in The Family Way in a role that offered greater diversity than her usual "Disney" image and shocked her fans by appearing in this comedy.

In her later films Hayley did not enjoy the same level of success that she had previously enjoyed however this would appear to be due to the audience's unwillingness to her move away from her iconic status at Disney rather than any question on her acting ability, as her successful move to the stage seems to show.

Click for Spoiler:

039_61579.jpg

Click for Spoiler:

Hayley%20Mills.jpg

I never know who's British or American or what have you, but I agree, I love Hayley Mills! Good choice! :)

Haley Mills is a good choice, but I'm going to say Kate Winslet, she is a very diverse actress and does a very convincing American accent! I first saw her in "Titanic" and since have seen her in a couple other films and was impressed with her acting.

I haven't seen anything with Emma Thompson in a while but she did some great work. I loved Remains of the Day. KM did you see Sense and Sensibility? Emma and Kate - I guess it might be a chick flick but they were terrific.

Here a few names that you might consider if you are a bit stuck:

Judi Dench

Maggie Smith

Helen Mirren

Kate Winslett

Francesca Annis

Catherine Zeta-Jones

Julie Walters

Dame Diana Rigg

Julie Andrews

Diana Dors

Elizabeth Taylor

Vivien Leigh

Deborah Kerr

Jean Simmons

Miranda Richardson

Joan Greenwood

I haven't seen anything with Emma Thompson in a while but she did some great work.  I loved Remains of the Day.  KM did you see Sense and Sensibility?  Emma and Kate - I guess it might be a chick flick but they were terrific.

I actually did see that film (My roomate is a chick) and I did enjoy it Emma Thompson is a great actress too. I've enjoyed the Shakespeare films she has done with Kenneth Branagh. I highly recommend the film "Much Ado About Nothing" starring Mr. Branagh and Ms. Thompson along with Michael Keaton,Keanu Reeves and Denzel Washington.

Edited by Klingonmike