Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Yankee or Dixie?

http://www.weathergraphics.com/tim/quiz.htm

Yankee or Dixie?

Check on your dialect and see if you might have crossed over to the "other side"! Simply click on the correct answer. As you go, the quiz will automatically interpret each answer to show you what your answer implies about you. When you are done, press Compute My Score. Your score will be calculated as a percentage: 0% is pure Yankee and 100% is pure Dixie.

Do not change your answer during the test as it will ruin the score. You may do this after scoring is calculated to see the other answers.

If you make a mistake, hit Clear below to restart the test!

This test is based on the Harvard Computer Society Dialect Survey of 30788 respondents, and is for entertainment use only.

I got this score:

46% (Yankee). There are traces of Yankee in you.

43 % Yankee! Huh? Except for attending university in SC, I've lived in ME my entire life!

I'd better start hanging around fishermen and lumbermen...maybe I'll get my Yankee sensibilities back! :rolleyes:

38% (Yankee). You have a good Yankee score.

LOL, this makes sense. :rolleyes:

I was born, and pretty much completely raised in Florida(2 years in NY though, which was where my little sister was born). But, most people think my family is from the North, either that or from another country(usually from one of our ancestral countries).

43% (Yankee). There are traces of Yankee in you.

I'm surprised my score is this high!

38% YANKEE. :)

NOT BAD FOR SOME ONE WHO WAS BORN IN ENGLAND :)

SO THAT MAKES ME 52% DIXIE!!

P.S IF ANY ONE CAN TELL ME WHAT A DIXIE IS PLEASE DO

BECAUSE HEAR IN THE UK A DIXIE IS A OUTSIDE TOILET USED

ON BUILDING SITES..LOL

38% YANKEE. :)

NOT BAD FOR SOME ONE WHO WAS BORN IN ENGLAND :)

SO THAT MAKES ME 52% DIXIE!!

P.S IF ANY ONE CAN TELL ME WHAT A DIXIE IS PLEASE DO

BECAUSE HEAR IN THE UK A DIXIE IS A OUTSIDE TOILET USED

ON BUILDING SITES..LOL

Here is a definition of Dixie:

A region of the southern and eastern United States, usually comprising the states that joined the Confederacy during the Civil War. The term was popularized in the minstrel song “Dixie's Land,” written by Daniel D. Emmett (1815–1904) in 1859.

Hey Youse GUYS

I'm so a Yankee!(like my home team)

But i say y'all sometimes:D

45% (Yankee). There are traces of Yankee in you.

Lol. I'm Canadian. You Americans defenitely have a large influence on the world.

Actually "You'uns" means "you all".

A neighbor of mine that's from deep in North Carolina says it all the time. For instance she might say:

"Are you'uns gonna come with us to the movie tomorrow?" or "You'uns should try that new restaurant, they have good food."

Young-uns would be for Young ones (children)

I have all of you beat:

48% (Yankee). There are traces of Yankee in you.

Actually, I think my score is a little low for somebody who lives in Georgia. :)

51% (Dixie). You are barely into the Dixie category!

That was interesting - particularly because I have lived in different regions of the US and I know I've picked up expressions from the places I've lived.

When I was a kid you went to the store and got a "cold drink" rather than soda. As a teenager going for a soft drink was going for a "Coke" no matter what you got - somewhere I picked up soda

67% (Dixie). You have edged nicely into the Dixie category!

Good Lord,young'uns!! That means I'm 33% Yankee!!! ;) It's listening to all them Yankee's a'talking on the radio and the cable T.V. :) (at least Star Trek has Bones and Trip) :)

36% yankee. now doesnt that mean im a little low on the yankee side, and if so thats odd considering i was born bred and raised in ny my entire life. with visits to VA and CA.

here's my result..."30% (Yankee). You are a definitive Yankee!" I found it really interesting to see most of my answers were either "popular in the midwest" or "heavily used in the Great Lakes region" lol

http://www.weathergraphics.com/tim/quiz.htm

Yankee or Dixie?

Check on your dialect and see if you might have crossed over to the "other side"! Simply click on the correct answer. As you go, the quiz will automatically interpret each answer to show you what your answer implies about you. When you are done, press Compute My Score. Your score will be calculated as a percentage: 0% is pure Yankee and 100% is pure Dixie.

Do not change your answer during the test as it will ruin the score. You may do this after scoring is calculated to see the other answers.

If you make a mistake, hit Clear below to restart the test!

This test is based on the Harvard Computer Society Dialect Survey of 30788 respondents, and is for entertainment use only.

I got this score:

46% (Yankee). There are traces of Yankee in you.

I didn't notice the part where it said not to change your answers during the test, when I took it I clicked on each answer just to see what it said about each. I went back just now and re-did the test using the same answers as before but I didn't click anything else and I actually did get a different answer:

59% (Dixie). You are barely into the Dixie category!

I guess reading the rules would help huh? lol

Bysty that means young ones or children.  :cloud9: Yins is an even deeper southren version of the same thang. :cloud9:

Actually "You'uns" means "you all".

A neighbor of mine that's from deep in North Carolina says it all the time. For instance she might say:

"Are you'uns gonna come with us to the movie tomorrow?" or "You'uns should try that new restaurant, they have good food."

Young-uns would be for Young ones (children) 

Man all those words are too complicated for me. I think I'll stick to English. Lol. ;)

That's another thing. I've never heard any one say soda in real life. On TV, sure. But we all just call it pop.

There sure are alot of variations in the English language.

That's another thing. I've never heard any one say soda in real life. On TV, sure. But we all just call it pop.

Everybody calls it soda where I live in Massachusetts. Maybe we're the ones that are different..! :cloud9:

Darnit, I think Welfconfed's ahead of me. :cloud9:

64% (Dixie). You have edged nicely into the Dixie category!

Everyone I know, everyone I've ever known calls it soda (or by it's brand name). I've never known anyone that called it pop. Here, Pop is the person that's married to Mom. And in many places Pop's father is known as Pappy.

lol