Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

The end of a legend...

Star Trek: Generations - 7th Star Trek movie / 1st TNG movie

At the time, William Shatner wanted to move on from Trek so requested that Kirk be killed off at the end, something he now regrets or so I've read.

My question for you all is: What did you think of how Kirk died? Some say it's lame and he should'a gone out in a blaze of glory on the Enterprise bridge. Some say his death should have been more heroic than being killed by a bridge. Some say Kahn's spirit came back and tore the bridge down. :lol: I've heard some pretty wild and pretty interresting ideas on Kirk's death. What about you guys?

I think having Kirk die on the bridge of the Entreprise was predictable. What they did with Kirk on the bridge was excellent. Here we have the retired Captain Kirk saving millions of lives yet again. He leaps on the other side of the smashed bridge to decloak the weapon so that Picard could save the solar system. I mean, really, who expected Kirk to die? Snap, whack, cling, snap, cling-cling! There goes the bridge! :lol: Then Picard finds Kirk and they share Kirk's final moments. I thought it was completely unexpected and very emotional, that's why I think Kirk's death scene was done very well. No one saw it coming.

TRIVIA: When Kirk says, "Oh my..." just before he dies, I read this wasn't in the script. Apparantly, Shatner saw a blimp that looked like the Enterprise, and they just kept his reaction to it. :lol:

I felt that he should have been alone when he died, as he stated in STV: The Final Frontier, that he always knew he would be. I've heard some say that he meant that his friends wouldn't be around him, but I don't believe that's what he meant. I think he should have been totally alone, because that's what he was prepared for.

Yeah, I mentioned that in my post. But to me, alone means alone, he didn't say "without you guys," he said "alone."

Guest Ktrek

He isn't really dead. He never left the Nexus and neither did Picard. You can't just "wish" your way out of the Nexus you have to be dragged out by something like a transporter. The Nexus, in Guinan's words to Picard, is "anything you want it to be". So the next couple of movies and Kirk's death are only percieved in Picard's imagination. He needs to be rescued from the Nexus as well as does Kirk.

Ktrek

Edited by Ktrek

I have a similar idea. Guinnan says, "I can't leave, I'm there allready." Well, if Kirk and Picard die, couldn't their echoes leave? :lol: How about the echoes of Kirk and Picard going to before they're born in another galaxy? They wouldn't be there, so why not? :lol:

Stardate:214675.7

I have always said that Kirks "death" should of been done alot better.But oh well.And in my mind Kirk isnt dead.Even though they aint canon I like the scenario produced in Shatners books.

"I've always known... I'll die alone." thats Kirk's fate

I think Kirk's death is done greatly as C.J.L.P. put it.

As for the Nexus thing, theres a difference between Kirk & Picard & Guinan.

The reason Guinan's being is still in there is because she like most of her people are being torn apart. VIA transporters from the Enterprise-B when they were being rescued they are being ripped apart leaving part of themself still inside, which made the cravings of wanting to go back in like Soran & the other El-aurians.

But If people leave by own free will like Kirk & Picard, they are taking 100% of themself outside the Nexus, no shadow or any traces of themself in the Nexus.

The only other person who did stay in the Nexus in "Generations" is Soran.

When Soran entered the Nexus he got what he wanted & he is uneffected by time.

So when Kirk & Picard stop the past Soran from entering, that doesn't mean Soran isn't in the Nexus.

He is in the Nexus enjoying his life in whatever way he wants.

So in the end, everyone got what they wanted.

Kirk - got to make a difference once more

Picard - get to meet Kirk & help prevent millions of lives being killed

Soran - He finally may rest in peace in the Nexus "Away from the Predator 'time'"

:lol:

I have never been real happy with how Kirk died. He should have died alone like he said he would. If he wasn't going to die alone he should have died on his ship in battle..If he wasn't going to die alone he should of at least died in space..I could almost accept him dying on that damn bridge if Picard wasn't there! He's always known that he would die alone!

I guess it could have been worse..He could have been killed by a phaser blast in the back..! At least he made a difference one last time..But I'll never be happy with how he died and I still don't see why did he have to die?! I'll always believe that they were trying to pass the torch to TNG movies..And for some reason they thought that couldn't happen if Kirk didn't die!

Edited by spacetigger

Kirk died becuase William Shatner wanted to distance from the franchise in '94, a decission he now regrets. As for dieling alone? Just becuase he says, "I've allways known... I'll die alone." doesn't mean it will happen, and in a way, he did. He died without Spock, McCoy, Scotty, and the rest of his crew, so in a way, Kirk did die alone. The reason why I liked his death scene is becuase no one would have scene it coming.

Yeah, I mentioned that in my post.  But to me, alone means alone, he didn't say "without you guys," he said "alone."

I'm in total agreement with Indy on this one..Alone means alone..Not with another Starfleet Captain..Anyway, I still think it's a bad way for Kirk to die..And I'm sure Shatner regrets it now..

Be thankful they didn't stick with their original idea. You know what that is? :rolleyes:

You know the part Soran said something like this,

"Yes I am familiar with history, if I'm not mistaken you're dead." When Soran caught Kirk offguard, they plan for Soran to shoot him in the back, before Kirk got to do anything heroic at all. B)

Would you prefer that? B)

Be thankful they didn't stick with their original idea. You know what that is? :rolleyes:

You know the part Soran said something like this,

"Yes I am familiar with history, if I'm not mistaken you're dead." When Soran caught Kirk offguard, they plan for Soran to shoot him in the back, before Kirk got to do anything heroic at all. B)

Would you prefer that? B)

Yes, I was aware of that and I am thankful that didn't happen..(I did mention that in my post) That would have been bad..At least Kirk did make a difference one last time..

Ok, i just thought u mentioned that randomly. B)

some people just say that as an example. But in this case it was close to becoming reality which is good it didn't B)

a difference, this is very different B)

R.I.P.

He got a nice planet to be burried on, a planet he saved too. B)

If sentient life ever grow there, they got an interesting fosil to dig up. :rolleyes:

I don't get why so many people say STV stinks but then they always go back to that line. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think they did Kirk's death very well. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Same here, but

what do u mean by STV?

the 5th movie? that's not Generations.

am i missing something here? :rolleyes:

STV is where he stated he knew he would always die alone. That's what I meant. Sorry 'bout the confusion.

I think his death was badly handled.  Going out in a fire fight or in a explosion would have been better than being crushed under a bridge.

Yes, but that's just it, he wasn't "crushed by a bridge". He leaped onto a bridge he knew wouldn't hold his fate, so that he could decloak a weapon for Picard to disable. Kirk made the ultimate, noble sacrifice for a civlization he knew noithing about.

I've heard some pretty wild and pretty interresting ideas on Kirk's death.  What about you guys?

What I think would have been a good death for Kirk would be if he saw a familiar-looking saucer section in the distance moving towards him, growing larger and larger, until... :rolleyes:

I think his death was badly handled.  Going out in a fire fight or in a explosion would have been better than being crushed under a bridge.

Yes, but that's just it, he wasn't "crushed by a bridge". He leaped onto a bridge he knew wouldn't hold his fate, so that he could decloak a weapon for Picard to disable. Kirk made the ultimate, noble sacrifice for a civlization he knew noithing about.

Exactly, his death was very noble.

I think it was a crap way to kill kirk.

i would have had him on the bridge of the enterprise

or another ship in full battle,but thats my opinion not

everybody may agree but i think it would have given

the film more feeling.

As for dieling alone?  Just becuase he says, "I've allways known...  I'll die alone." doesn't mean it will happen,

When he said that, it was prophetic in nature. And since we've come to see Kirk as a 'larger than life' character, we can easily believe that he would know in his heart how he would die.

I felt that he should have been alone when he died, as he stated in STV:  The Final Frontier,  that he always knew he would be.

Actually, given how much I loathe the Final Frontier, I don't mind that it was contradicted in Generations. :rolleyes:

As for Kirk's death; I would have been content with him dying to save the Enterprise-B. I personally think the whole intro for Generations is brilliant. But I like the idea, that Kirk couldn't live forever with out any danger at all. Like he needs that to truely feel alive. I have always liked to think that Picard himself learned a few things from Kirk and that Kirk realized something about himself.

To answer the question, I like Kirk's death, not that he died but how and I love Generations as a bitter-sweet tragedy adventure.

I've heard some pretty wild and pretty interresting ideas on Kirk's death.  What about you guys?

What I think would have been a good death for Kirk would be if he saw a familiar-looking saucer section in the distance moving towards him, growing larger and larger, until... :rolleyes:

LMAO!!!

B) B)

If i was to vote on it, alone means just that: alone! I think that that statement in Star Trek 5 was just pure bull like the rest of the script. But that's just my opinion. Debating the meaning of 'alone' is a purely subjective exercise, with no right or wrong answers, no matter how much we repeat our views. Kirk died. C'est tout! as they say in French. Picard burying Shatner was, in my own twisted view, symbolic of Stewart burying the fat, wig wearing, ham boy Shatner in the 'Captaincy of Star Trek' steaks: there's a new daddy in town.

Stardate:21485.8

Just an idea but I think a better last line for Kirk instead of "Oh my...." would of been him looking at the stars and saying "Space the final frontier........."

I don't know I just think it would of been cool. He started Star Trek with those words, and his legacy should of ended with them.

Not quite, ;)

since his on a planet, it be kinda odd for him to say that. :cloud9:

& i tried to hear him said that, made him sound bit more odder then it is with that extra words.

Just curious though, did u know why he said that? "Oh my..."

from what i heard, its not on the script at all, he himself is the one who said it for some reason. So they decide to use it.

:cloud9: