Sign in to follow this  
removed

OH GOOD LORD IT'S COLD!

I can not believe how unbelievably cold it is today. It is -32 degrees Celcius (-25 degrees Farenheit). Now that seems cold doesn't it? It gets worse!

There is an extreme wind-chill warning. With the wind-chill the temperature is -45 degrees Celcius (-49 degrees Farenheit)!!!!!! IT IS SOOO COLD.

If you open a door, fog is instantly produced and billows in through the door. The second you go outside you can feel your nostrils freezing together. I was outside today for maybe 2 minutes without a toque (a warm hat to keep your head and ears warm) and my ears were in pain. When unlocking the door to get into my house after school today, with dry hands, the key froze to my hand! And afterwards, my hand was burning from the cold! It felt like touching dry ice (which, stupidly, I have touched before. Lol). Our school bus broke down because of the cold, so we got a crappy old replacement bus, and you could see the steel contracting on the sides. IT IS INSANELY COLD! I even went outside with a toque, gloves, a neck-warmer, and a huge winter jacket and I still couldn't stay out there for more than 5 minutes!!! BRRR!!! And by the way these are NOT EXAGGERATIONS!!!

Ok, it wasn't QUITE that cold here today - merely -18 F when I got up this morning. But we just came off a snap of 7 days of below zero weather, so this is just a tag end on a cold season.

This is getting old!

We had an ice storm yesterday ('bout a half inch covering the area), but today we're pretty much back in the fifties. :lol: Weird.

:lol: I would die, totally die. It's 44 (7 degree Celsius) outside right now and that's really cold to me. My husband says the coldest he's ever seen was in the army in Alaska. With wind chill it was -115 (-82 degree Celsius).

-82 C????? That's like double it is here! I just got back from the gym and as soon as I stepped outside, I took a breath, and I could feel it burn in my lungs! A short walk to the truck and my ears were killing me from the cold. And -82 C?? Oh wow. That I couldn't handle and I'm Canadian! Lol.

Bysty, can I come visit? :lol:

Lol. Sure but I recommend dressing VERY warmly. Lol. If not, you could get frost-bite VERY easily, in a very short time.

Bysty, can I come visit? :lol:

Lol. Sure but I recommend dressing VERY warmly. Lol. If not, you could get frost-bite VERY easily, in a very short time.

Not me. It's 25% F outsite, and I went out in sandals and sweat pants to feed & water the dogs. I didn't even feel cold. :lol:

Lol. I do that alot too. But I've got to say, 25 F in the January-February period is pretty mild. That's a nice day usually. Lol. Today I won't even let my dog outside for more than 5 minutes today, that's how cold it is.

LMAO. That's too funny.

(Wonders why CJLP decided to hike rather than drive or fly. It is a very long hike.)

I'll see you in a few months when you get here (but by then it will be warm. Lol)

Stardate:21474.9

Thats insane.I don't think I could handle that every year.When I was in Idaho we had temperatures around -15f but that was about as cold as it got.

Stardate:21474.9

Thats insane.I don't think I could handle that every year.When I was in Idaho we had temperatures around -15f but that was about as cold as it got.

It's usually not this cold though. It's usually about -20 to -25 degrees Celcius (-4 to -13 degrees Farenheit) but when it gets cold, it gets COLD!

-82 C????? That's like double it is here! I just got back from the gym and as soon as I stepped outside, I took a breath, and I could feel it burn in my lungs! A short walk to the truck and my ears were killing me from the cold. And -82 C?? Oh wow. That I couldn't handle and I'm Canadian! Lol.

Here's what I found for weather history of Alaska. Robert said it was in January 1989.

"1989 - Low pressure in north central Alaska continued to direct air across northern Siberia and the edges of the Arctic Circle into the state. The temperature at Fairbanks remained colder than 40 degrees below zero for the eighth day in a row. Lows of 68 below at Galena, 74 below at McGrath, and 76 below at Tanana, were new records for the date. Wind chill readings were colder than 100 degrees below zero. (National Weather Summary) "

I used to have a friend who did a lot of specialized Army training above the Arctic Circle in Alaska. He's told me many times of the over 100 degrees below zero days. He also said that, at that latitude and with that clear coldness, that the Aurora Borealis were absolutely breathtaking beyond description.

He also said that, at that latitude and with that clear coldness, that the Aurora Borealis were absolutely breathtaking beyond description.

Yeah, Robert's said that many times. He also said that they were out marching once in extremely cold temps and he had a hallucination that the trees were dancing in a circle. :lol:

Wow, it's cold on tht side of the atlantic huh, no here, i woke up sweating this morning.

You're nuts, CJLP! :lol: If I'm gonna hike anywhere you can be darn sure it'll be south! :lol:

I couldn't get to the base this morning...my CO is not happy. I told him to get out and plow the roads himself if he wants me there that bad...he didn't like that...

Very diplomatic, EJP...

I'm on my second day of being snowed in just outside Washington, DC.

The snowplow seems to have forgotten us... and the driveway is WAAAAAAAAY too long to shovel... (tenth of a mile on a hill).

Edited by Kyalia

I couldn't get to the base this morning...my CO is not happy. I told him to get out and plow the roads himself if he wants me there that bad...he didn't like that...

Oh my! :lol: Can you get in trouble for saying something like that off duty? I sure hope not!

I could. but Commander is cool. he understands. he lives closer to the base than I do, so he could get there easily. however, there hasn't been much in the way of plows around here.

Well it's -35 degrees C (-31 degrees F) without the wind-chill, and the temperatures are still dropping. I'm thinking February is going to be a cold month. Lol.

It has been a tough week eh Bysty. We were a little colder in Winnipeg. We were enjoying temperatures between -35 and -40C with the windchill getting as low as -53 (around -60F). It's warmed up a little today - only -26C.

Check the Edmonton Journal in 9 months time and let me know if you see a mini baby boom. I'm expecting one here. LOL

It has been a tough week eh Bysty. We were a little colder in Winnipeg. We were enjoying temperatures between -35 and -40C with the windchill getting as low as -53 (around -60F). It's warmed up a little today - only -26C.

Check the Edmonton Journal in 9 months time and let me know if you see a mini baby boom. I'm expecting one here. LOL

Ya It's been pretty cold. It's gotten a tad bit warmer to about -25 C on average, but that's still cold, but not as bad as a -53 C windchill!

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a small rise. Lol.

I filled my truck up last night at around 2230, and I nearly busted my frozen fingers off trying to turn the ignition. it wasn't THAT cold, only -3 with a wind chill in the -20 area. well, I walked outside today and I almost thought it was summer! By george, we had a heat wave! it was 12 degrees!

Wow......way too cold for me. Call me weird or anything, but wow....... For me, I can stand tempeatures around 100 F, 110 starts to get anoying. But anything under 65 F ........... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Freezing. You could freeze ice at that temp :clap: I envy all of you who can withstand tempeatures like that.