Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

The Andorians

Where were they during TNG, DS9 and Voyager? I can only ever recall seeing one as a hologram on 'The Offspring'. For such a big race, they soon disappear...

For one of the founding races of the Federation, the Andorians sure were pretty much ignored throughout TNG,DS9 and Voyager.

But they did not do much with the Tellurites (sp?) either until Enterprise.

I agree that both races were neglected a bit and could have been used and developed alot more in TNG, DS9 and VOY. But at least Enterprise gave them some screen time and development.

I always thought that maybe they avoided the Andorians because they were almost cliché. I completely agree that they should have been used, and Enterprise showed everyone what depth the species can have. ENT did to the Andorians what DS9 did for the Ferengi

Edited by The Kryptonian

Andorians were probably still around in the 24th century, but despite what Gene may have intended Star Trek has always been more about Starfleet than the Federation. And Starfleet has always been human with the odd alien thrown in here and there.

In that respect Enterprise produces a number of other peculiar questions. The Vulcans for instance obviously had a fleet more modern and advanced than Starfleet. What happened to that? Why didn't we see that in the Dominion war etc. Same thing with the Andorian ships. I mean we know the real world reasons, but we have to assume that at some time Vulcans decided to scrap their entire fleet and put their own protection in the hands of Starfleet.

Andorians were probably still around in the 24th century, but despite what Gene may have intended Star Trek has always been more about Starfleet than the Federation. And Starfleet has always been human with the odd alien thrown in here and there.

In that respect Enterprise produces a number of other peculiar questions. The Vulcans for instance obviously had a fleet more modern and advanced than Starfleet. What happened to that? Why didn't we see that in the Dominion war etc. Same thing with the Andorian ships. I mean we know the real world reasons, but we have to assume that at some time Vulcans decided to scrap their entire fleet and put their own protection in the hands of Starfleet.

We do know the Andorians were around in the 24th Century, we saw one in TNG and they were mentioned at least once in DS9 as having docked at one of the docking ports.

As for Gene's vision of Star Trek, I think I agree. It was more about humans in Starfleet, simply because it was cheaper to do a weekly show about humans. By the time of DS9 though Trek was a much more powerful franchise and they were able to branch out more into the more alien cultures. They did so a little in TNG too but not as much as DS9 did.

With the Vulcans and Andorian fleets, I'd just have to assume that their advancements and technology was simply combined with Starfleet's and the human style of ship design was the predominate style chosen. However, we do know that Vulcan ship design did survive into the 24th century because we see Vulcan ships in "Unification". So I'd also assume that Andorian ship design survived as well. It's just that those 2 planets helped form the Federation and Starfleet was chosen as the military branch of the Federation, so Starfleet designs seem to be the ones we see most often.

there were some andorians (senior officers!) in the DS9 books. and there some on an old klingon starbase in the Elite Force game.

i know its not canon but its still proves they were still around

Edited by Smith

Maybe its not just the fact starfleet is more about humans. Maybe its got to do with budgeting and cutbacks due to tons of random alien costumes they had in their closet?

As for not seeing much andorians in DS9, They had too much cardassians, Bajorians, and Klingons that they couldnt do Andorians. Maybe...

The Andorians were also, probably quite hard to achieve on screen with the makeup techniques available during TNG Era. They looked awfully fake - very blue etc. The Klingons' brown makeup was easier and looked better on screen. Giant blue bugs probably took away from the "seriousness" which TNG was trying to achieve in the cynical 90s. I note also (groan) Gene's insistence that TNG try not to use any "old" TOS Races. Yes Gene - that worked out real swell!

The techniques developed by the time of Enterprise were a lot more sophisticated and the antanae could move, etc. The Andorians took on more of a bluish hue rather than being a stand out electric blue. The wigs were better - more natural and the uniforms and xenophobic militaristic attitude (like little angry ants!) gave them a more "not to be messed with" persona. Throw in some cool ships and weapons and you had yourself a fantastic screen character. The ever witty and engaging Geoffery Coombs brought Shran to life as a leader with pazaz.

DS9 can be excused, being away out on the Frontier. Mentioning Andorian ships was probably enough. Seeing one or two a the odd troop on the Promenade would have been cool. But the writers were too obsesssed with their own little creation to worry about likning in with the grander Trek Universe.

Voyager - obviously in another Galaxy. However - NO Andorians on board? At least two Vulcans, multiple Humans and NO Andorians? Could happen, I suppose (again 90s "seriousness")

Enterprise was post-90s cynicism and with that the Andorians were born again. Retro-cook was the order of the day and with the arrival of Manny Coto by Season 4 we were back to the swinging 60s and blue makeup was the last of any worries...

Most episodes deal with the world of Star Fleet, which isn't (for the most part) a military organization. Andorians, being a violent, warrior race, would have little interest in peaceful exploration.

I'm not suggesting that their aren't Andorians in Star Fleet, only that they, because of their culture, never embraced Star Fleet with the same gusto that Humanity did. I also think the same could be said about Vulcan culture, though for the opposite reason. (ie Human aggressiveness)

We know that Andorians are a founding species of the Federation and that they are elligible to join Starfleet. However, unless there is forced conscription or quotas or something like that they may simply not be interested in serving in Starfleet. No one says they have to.

With the Vulcans and Andorian fleets, I'd just have to assume that their advancements and technology was simply combined with Starfleet's and the human style of ship design was the predominate style chosen. However, we do know that Vulcan ship design did survive into the 24th century because we see Vulcan ships in "Unification". So I'd also assume that Andorian ship design survived as well. It's just that those 2 planets helped form the Federation and Starfleet was chosen as the military branch of the Federation, so Starfleet designs seem to be the ones we see most often.

We also see a schematic for a 29th-century Vulcan cruiser thanks to Daniels' databank.

I think the answer is that while Starfleet ships and designs are predominant as the official military unit of the Federation, each culture continues to use their own designs for home guards, much like a militia, to augment Starfleet in proximity to homeworlds and the other more heavily populated worlds.

EDIT: Make that a 32nd-century ship. Here's the schematic...

post-1583-1216340436_thumb.jpg

Edited by Derek

im going to go with the older shows just didnt have the abilty to not make them a lauging stock of a race they tried but it just never looked right. it would be hard to work it bright blue, white hair, and of course you throw in a bug look