Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Were you happy with the direction DS9 took?

What I mean is, did you enjoy the Dominion War or would you have liked to have seen DS9 do something different? I thought a War was the only way for DS9 to go as this was the tougher series. After the bright campness of TOS and TNG (The flying hotel with kiddies and bright outfits) DS9 was darker and harder. There was more conflict in the air and more grit. A war was perfect as it added to this.

What I mean is, did you enjoy the Dominion War or would you have liked to have seen DS9 do something different? I thought a War was the only way for DS9 to go as this was the tougher series. After the bright campness of TOS and TNG (The flying hotel with kiddies and bright outfits) DS9 was darker and harder. There was more conflict in the air and more grit. A war was perfect as it added to this.

I loved it, it's the reason I gave DS9 another chance, and voila, it's my favorite series now.

I thought the Dominion War worked well for DS9. Although Roddenberry's vision was for a world of acceptance and peace, I think it illustrated that, even in the future, not everything can be perfect.

I thought the Dominion War worked well for DS9.  Although Roddenberry's vision was for a world of acceptance and peace, I think it illustrated that, even in the future, not everything can be perfect.

I absolutely agree. I loved the Dominion war because it showed that even though the Federation was trying to maintain peaceful relations, not everyone in the known galaxy had the same idea. I also still believe that Gene's vision may have been a little too much hearts and flowers. Human nature is one of the most difficult things to change and even though we rarely saw in on any series, I'm sure there were still criminal elements there. In a DS9 episode in the last year, we even had a Vulcan murderer. The Dominion war was a great plot twist to the usually staid Star Trek formula.

i too agree the war with the dominion was a great script idea. but i loved DS9 from the beginning. between TNG, VOY, AND DS9, DS9 was my favorite. it had everything startrek has, without the hokey, opptomism. it added a realm of reality to the show, (like, yeah that would really happen in todays world). i love the world RODDNEBERRY created, i wish we could live in a world like his, but thats not gonna happen today, hopefully in the future. all the shows were ok, but DS9 was the best, till now its a toss up between DS9, AND ENT. but of course any true startrek fan loves TOS, it was the first, and the best. here in my order of greatness are-

TOS, OF COURSE

DS9, ENT

TNG

VOY

I loved the Dominion War. It add a great chapter to Star Trek History. We'd heard about Wars in Episodes of TOS and TNG, but never got to see any.

And remeber...before the Dominion War..there was a shorter War with the Klingons

I used to answer this question with a no, but looking back on it and being that I am older, yes I am glad DS9 went this way. I don't know if it was Michael Pillar or Ira Behr who said this on the special features of Season 2 DVD's, but one of them said that if trek was not unique and new, than it would die. Its turning out that with ENT, they were exactly right. DS9, like its 2 predassessors were unique and new. It was exciting to watch it every week and with the War with the dominion, it showd that Gene's vision was still there, but it showed what happens when that vision is threatened. My favorite series continues to be TNG mainly because it was the series that made me a trekker, the stories and priceless, and its a great cast, but DS9 is right up along side as being a great series mainly because of its uniqueness.

I think the war was the next natural extension of the Dominion plotline. And, let's face it - without the Dominion and conflict, we were just back at exploring this universe. TOS started it, TNG furthered it, but there had to be a new avenue. Besides, other than planetary conflicts, there had never really been any sort of struggle. Tensions, yes. But we never saw war with the Klingons, Romulans (I don't really appreciate the direction in which they took THEM, but that's another thread.), Cardassians, Orions, Ferengi...all of whom were supposed to be opposed to the Federation.

I really loved the direction Ds9 took when it introduced the domion war. First off I'm a Star Wars child and I was born into seeing a lot of space ships blowing up in open space. But what was different in this story arch is that they show the horror of what war can do a man. It wasn't a black and white interpertation of events but a commentary on the stress and agony a war can do to an entire nation and in this case star empire. Best example is Sisko in "the Pale Moonlight." Here's a person who wants to stop the war in a peaceful manner, but everytimes he looks at a causalty report he relunctantly chooses a more treacherous plan. An then there was Siege of AR-"Forgot the number." I really loved the characterization of each person in that ep because they had this complicated emotional background that the war had instilled on them that was so interesting and thought provoking. So basically how Star Wars wowed and intrigued me with ships blowing up as a child, Ds9 wowed and intrigued me as an adult that gave meaning to why the ships were blowing up.

The Dominion War was just what DS9 needed. While the war and the fighting itself would not be enough to get people to really love trek, they would have watched it for the action. That would get people to watch it, because they love action.

To the producers of the show, the war in the plot must have seemed "logical".

I myself liked that part of the show, simply because of the direction the war took over its course.

I thought the Dominion War was the best thing to happen to any "Trek" show...

Even tho DS9 was the "darker, grittier" show that someone mentioned above, something was needed to set it apart, *and above* the rest of "Trek".

I especially loved the way the writers linked the continuity through the last 3 seasons(not every episode, but most of the relevant ones).

That was one thing I hated about Next Generation, except for the occasional two-parter, and Picard's abduction by the Borg, there wasn't much in the way of an ongoing theme or back story.

I can't speak for Voyager as I gave up on that show after the "mutant cheese makes the ship sick" episode... :o

Stingray

I thought the Dominion War worked well for DS9.  Although Roddenberry's vision was for a world of acceptance and peace, I think it illustrated that, even in the future, not everything can be perfect.

I completely agree. DS9 had a lot of conflict that was lacking in TNG. That's part of the reason I never took to new Trek, though I watched it pretty consistently, until DS9 came on. That, and the fact that DS9 had storyarcs, or themes that lasted throughout the entire series.

I liked the Dominion War quite a bit. It would have been nice to have it resolve earlier and move on to a new conflict, but it'd be difficult to pull off a good succesor to that conflict.

war is never good

It's too simplistic to say War is never good. I think all people could look at the needless killing that takes place and say that, but if a ruthless dictator is murdering innocent people like happened in WWII then going to war (from the standpoint of the allies) is a good thing in the end. So while it's true that "war isn't good" it is sometimes necessary and for the good of humanity.

As for the fictional war with the Dominion I think some of the best DS9 stories came out of the war Arc.

The Siege of AR-558

Treachery, Faith, and the Great River

Rocks and Shoals

To name a few, and my over all favorite Star Trek episode of them all

In the Pale Moonlight

So I think the War Arc was the way to go.

It's too simplistic to say War is never good. I think all people could look at the needless killing that takes place and say that, but if a ruthless dictator is murdering innocent people like happened in WWII then going to war (from the standpoint of the allies) is a good thing in the end. So while it's true that "war isn't good" it is sometimes necessary and for the good of humanity.

I agree that war is sometimes needed to stop ruthless tyrants who make innocent people suffer, but I don't feel that was is ever good, just a "better" evil than letting the dictator continue. Thats why I liked DS9, like my reason for not thinking war is ever good, the show was gray.

its times like these that i listen to Amazing Grace...

DS9 portrayed the Dominion War well (as well as war can be portrayed) with In The Pale Moonlight being the best, what Sisko did...

when it comes to the crunch, ruthless action must be taken

As I am just getting to alot of the Dominion war episodes, I am definitely enjoying them and it is making me so much more impatient for the download of the next episode to complete.

I think the DW brought a bit of realism to the Star Trek universe. I mean it highly probable that while they would encounter beings that are friendly but they are just as likely to encounter the opposite. Besides SF has heavily armed ships with well trained crews and I think it was time to see them used to the fullest.

As I am just getting to alot of the Dominion war episodes, I am definitely enjoying them and it is making me so much more impatient for the download of the next episode to complete.

What season and episode are you on now?

war is never good

I believe we have the right to defend ourselves from aggressors.

It's an easy thing to say that War is never good and in theory that's correct. But in reality war is sometimes "good". For example, going to war to rid the world of Hitler was a good thing. If we lived by the motto that war is never good then Hitler may have conquered the entire world.

war is never good

I believe we have the right to defend ourselves from aggressors.

It's an easy thing to say that War is never good and in theory that's correct. But in reality war is sometimes "good". For example, going to war to rid the world of Hitler was a good thing. If we lived by the motto that war is never good then Hitler may have conquered the entire world.

I agree with all 3 of you. War isn't a good thing, but it's down right neccessary for the survival of a nation or country.

i was very happy on how it ended. but the fire caves part i didnt like at all, but i was glasd winn died at the end she was evil

I liked the war for the simple fact that the Cardassins got what they deserved in the end. They were homeless and treated as slaves just as they treated the Bajorians. The Cardassins thought that they had great allies. In reality they had been mistaken. The Dominion War taught them that everyone who smiles at you wasn't your friend.

It also taught them that when you pick on the oppressed there is always someone bigger and badder than you that will put you in your place. I enjoyed watching the Cardassins get theirs.

I was glad winn died at the end she was evil

I dont think she was evil, just misguided.

As for the war, I feel it was a brilliant way to evolve DS9. It was brilliant for them to base the show on a station, but I believe that its was also very hard from a scriptwriting point of view. Theres only so many things you can do on a space station and some short range shuttles before you start going over the same ideas, hence the defiant's coming into existance. The war was great because it stopped the show from turning into another 'lets go explore in our ship' kind of show