Sign in to follow this  
Col Vash Evans

The questions of ranks

:P I have noticed with some confussion and some ill that these two systems don't agree. No where in Canon, save for the era of TOS and never had seen in canon, are there such a ranks as Fleet Captain, Senior Commander or any description of the NCO/enlisted ranks. I have been playing simms with these new erroneous ranks and have seen some who come to different chatrooms where such ppl. use such ranks as their handle. To my knowledge there are three Jr. officer ranks, three Line officer ranks and four Admiralty ranks. As follows: Ensign, luietenant (j.g.) Luietenant, Lt. Commander, Commander, Captain, Admiral (Rear-Admiral, lower rank), Admiral (Rear-Admiral), Admiral, (Vice Admiral), Admiral. Though it is presumed, there are no canon ranks for NCO/enlistedmen in canon save that of chief O'Brien. And the chief portion is never quantified. Where do these 'new' ranks come from? Why are they used? These un-needed ranks make the system irregular and confusing. May it be possible to only use current, 2378, Star Fleet ranks in any and/or all games and simulations? :P

A question that is often asked is thy are there only officers on trek and why is obrian the only NCO we ever see. It is probably safe to asume that these ranks exsist but just not seen. at the end of the day sims are a form of fan fiction and as such the players and creators are allowd a bit of dramatic licence.

Though it is presumed, there are no canon ranks for NCO/enlistedmen in canon save that of chief O'Brien.  And the chief portion is never quantified.

O'Brien's rank is officially that of Chief petty officer (An NCO) and he was given special rank insignia in the final couple season's of DS9. I can't think of any other specific NCO's or Jr. Enlisted ranks ever being mentioned though there have been other enlisted personnel used (Muniz in "The Ship" and Stevens in "Starship Down").

Here's a picture of O'Brien from "The Ship" with Muniz. In it you can see O'Brien's rank. You can also see that Muniz isn't wearing any.

PDVD_123.JPG

Here's a larger version so you can see the rank insignia better:

Click for Spoiler:

PDVD_123L.JPG

As far as the other NCO rank insignia are concerned I don't know if they are "canon" or not but O'Brien's is for sure.

That has always been a problem with Star Trek, and I have noted it. the only time an Officer in Real life would...say, Drive the ship, is the Harbor Pilot, he's the guy who pulls it at the end of the cruise. by the way, when I was enlisted, I used to rag on officers about getting paid more for doing less work...now that I am an officer, I realise that Officers do the same amount of work, just not the SAME work the enlisted crew does. and on most ships, the idea of an officer getting dirty in the engine room is proposterous.

That has always been a problem with Star Trek, and I have noted it. the only time an Officer in Real life would...say, Drive the ship, is the Harbor Pilot, he's the guy who pulls it at the end of the cruise. by the way, when I was enlisted, I used to rag on officers about getting paid more for doing less work...now that I am an officer, I realise that Officers do the same amount of work, just not the SAME work the enlisted crew does. and on most ships, the idea of an officer getting dirty in the engine room is proposterous.

Yeah, it's the same in the Army though I will never believe that a Second Lieutenant has more military knowledge then a Private E-1. If anything they are the same militarily, just the 2nd Lt gets paid more and enlisted ranks have to salute him/her. When I was in the Army I always had a lot more respect for most E-1's then I did O-1's (not all but most).

Keep in mind that Starfleet is a fictional organization in the future, based on NASA and the Navy. B)

Who says it's based on NASA and the Navy, isn't that just an assumption?

I think Gary_phaserman was right when he said it was more based on the coast gaurd. and as for E-1s and O-1s, I am an O-1, but I have also spent time as an enlistedman...gives me a leg up on other O-1s, buth in common sense and in pay (O-1's with at least 4 years of active service as enlisted or warrant officers are designated O-1E, and get paid at the O-1 paygrade would at 4 years service, rather than someone who had been an O-1 and just got their commission.) and I was in a sim where we had more enlisted than officers. they actually took the uniforms and put chevrons on the sleeves.

I, too, would think that the Enlistedmen are the backbone to any service. Aside from my canon questions as to whether they are in Star Trek, I see far too many ppl. wanting to be officers. While officers have their place as leaders in any quasi-milatry orginization. It is the Enlistedmen who go out and get shot at in three of the four U.S. services, And in the forth, the officers are in planes. The simm I am currently in has no player characters that are of enlisted grade. My short stay within the usmc taught me a great deal about what serving means. It is not whether you wear chevrons, a butter bar, a silver bar, tracks or leaves. Honour is in the duty that you, along with everyone else, preforms to protect those they have sworn to protect. :frusty:

Yeah, it's the same in the Army though I will never believe that a Second Lieutenant has more military knowledge then a Private E-1. If anything they are the same militarily, just the 2nd Lt gets paid more and enlisted ranks have to salute him/her. When I was in the Army I always had a lot more respect for most E-1's then I did O-1's (not all but most).

Well I've served under some good 2nd and 1st Lieutenants, but they usually make (Ignore me, I'm using profanity) shortly after they make Captain.

BTW, you know the difference between an O-1 and an E-2? The E-2 has been promoted. :frusty: