Sign in to follow this  
Captain Ericks

Best Multi-role actor

Who is the best actor to play multiple roles  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best actor to play multiple roles

• Brent Spiner-Data, Lore, Noonien Soong, B-4, Aric Soong, holodeck characters Fistful of Datas
    • Jeffery Combs-Weyoun, Brunt, Shran, and several more
    • J.G. Hertzler-General Martok, Laas(Chimera), Kolos (judgement) and several more
    • Majel Barrett-Nurse Chappel, Lwaxana Troi, Computer Voice
    • Robert Picardo-The Doctor, Dr. Zimmerman,and other E.M.H holograms
    • Marc Alaimo-Gul Dukat, Commander Tebok(The Nuetral Zone), Frederick La Rouque(Times Arrow), and several more
    • Rene Auberjonois- Odo, Colonel West in The Undiscovered Country, Ezral(Oasis)
    • Ethan Phillips-Neelix, Dr. Farek(Menagea Troi), waiter in First Contact
    • Vaughn Armstrong - Admiral Forrest and multiple characters
    • Suzie Plakson - Dr. Selar, K'Ehleyr, Female Q, Tarah

I was thinking about how many characters have different roles on Star Trek, then i had to ask myself who is the best. I really can't determine which just yet, but my favorites are Spiner, Combs, and Hertzler.

Spiner, Alaimo, Picardo, and Barrett were great, but I also thought Crosby did a good job in both her roles.

Edited by Ace

Thanks for reminding me about Suzie, TUH. She is probably my favorite of the multi-(single-ep)role actresses. She's great in every role she plays.

but I also thought Crosby did a good job in both her roles.

Crosby, I forgot about her. Damn i should have put other on the poll. Oh well. I never knew that the actress whoi played K'Eyhler returned for mutliple roles. I hope I didn't miss to many more :blink: :o .

Hm, Brent Spiner for me. He's a great actor, and I've always liked Lore and Dr. Soong very much, same goes for B-4 (though he just isn't Data :blink: ).

Mrs. Captain Picard

I went with Jeffery Combs.. I always thought he did a real good job on his characters..I also liked Brent Spiner, Marc Alaimo, Majel Barrett and J.G. Hertzler.. Oh heck they are all good..!!

I went with Jeffery Combs.. I always thought he did a real good job on his characters..I also liked Brent Spiner, Marc Alaimo, Majel Barrett and J.G. Hertzler.. Oh heck they are all good..!!

That's why they play multiple roles. I'm not trying to seem like a smart aleck, but when you get quality actors, it's a pretty smart idea to use them multiple times.

I voted for brent spiner,i liked the way he played the part of

lore,of which he did a very good job.

I agree with Jeffrey Combs. I'd go with Brent Spiner but in considering the multiple characters he played they were all within the same range of character. He did a great job on them but they were basically all "Soongs" and had a common thread to them. Different from each other but similar at the same time.

Jeffrey Combs characters were all vastly different kinds of characters. Liquidator Brunt, Weyoun, Tiron, Officer Mulkahey, Penk and Krem.

I think I'll have to go with Vaughn Armstrong, simply because he does have the record with thirteen different Star Trek characters (double counting a couple, I guess). And he's good in every one of them.

However, Combs is a very close second.

Thats a tough one but I'd have to say Combs although Spiner is obviously brilliant as well and Plakson comes in a close third.

I have to go with Brent. I just do. Playing those characters in ''Fistfull''...Soong(s) He can do goofy, and most serious..but my heart goes also with Ethan Phillips, who was wonderful as Neelix. Ther are definitely other good ones on the list;once more' to paraphrase a tv snack add, ''Ya can't coose just one''..such as J.G. Hertzler, the fine warrior-turned Chancellor Martok, and the progressive of his day Kolos who defended my bud Jon Archer. Good character. Gotta say...Marc Alaimo played Dukat villainous to the hilt(But swears he was only misunderstood!Heh.) Shran...he was probably still trading favors with the aforementioned Captain when they were both pushing towards retirement!.....Oh-have to toss in Bob Picardo, Voyager fan I am..Majel Barrett...''Mister Woof!"....what a lady, God Rest Her...shoot, I should just say''Everybody!"

Edited by Voyager recruit

I'd have to say Jeffrey Combs hands down. Brent did well but he was basically playing the same character. Combs was much more versitile having played so many different characters.

Without a doubt, fellow Milwaukeean Marc Alaimo gets my vote. Marc defined evil ossitude as the first Cardassian in TNG's "The Wounded" an ep which introduced us to my fave alien race and gave Alaimo a chance to use his Galor class warship( The Trager) to good use by attacking the Enterprise-D. Alaimo's performance as Dukat on DS9 is legendary. Every part he played was unforgettable to this fan of all things Cardassian. :lol:

I would give second place to Brent Spiner. He was awesome in every role he played too.

I am joining the Marc Alimo bandwagon. His Dukat was masterful and sublime, and his other characters, Tebok, Le Rougue etc. were strong and deliniated.

I have to complain too that Suzie Plakson should be on this list and would rank her next - K'heylr, Dr. Selar, the female Q - were all excellent characters brought to life by this superior guest actress. Creating a strong female character is difficult, but Suzie does it consistently.

Both these actors are excellent convention guests as well, warm and welcoming.

I've added Vaughn Armstrong and Suzie Plakson to the list. If anyone wants to change their vote, let me know.

I know people will probably roll their eyes and think "of course" when I say I'm voting for Brent Spiner. Yes most of the characters he played were connected to the Soong family but each had very different and distinct personalities. Lore is nothing like Data and Data is nothing like B4. One of the main reasons I'm voting for him is that he had the added difficulty of having to play multiple characters in the same episode. When you look at the technical aspects of an episode like Brothers where he's playing three distinct characters in the same scene... well that's outstanding.

My second choice would be Vaughn Armstrong for the number of distinct characters that he's played. Is there a race he hasn't played? Great character actor.

I was just watching Chimera and realized that J.G. Hertzler (under the name Garman Hertzler) is Laas. I don't think I ever realized that it was him before.

It was a tough choice, but I went with Jeffery Combs. I love Brent Spiner, but Jeffery Combs' characters were all radically different from each other. Sometimes I wasn't sure it was him until well into an episode!