Sign in to follow this  
jdigs

I am confused.

Okay I yeild. I need help :tear: ...someone please explain to me. I've been trying to understand DS9s dominon battle for some time..I always miss the ep's with the most info..I see Odo and another shapeshifter who is controlling other aliens thru one guy who calles her 'exellence' and stuff like that..I am entirely confused..what do the aliens who need white play in to it? Who won? How? I cant wait till ds9 is released in box set..then I will understand. :D

ok, over in the delta quadrant there is an empire of sorts called the Dominion. They are led by the founders (shapeshifters). While comprised of many planets and races, the main two are the military/organizational leaders, called the Vorta (they have the funny ears) and the Jem'Hadar. The Vorta worship the Founders as gods and do pretty much whatever they say. The military force of the Dominion are the Jem'Hadar. The Jem'Hader are genentically bread from birth to be addicted to Ketracel-white. They're also bread for extreme strength and endurance. They grow up extremely fast and therefore join the Jem'Hader army rather quickly from birth. If they pledge their allegiance to the founders they receive a new vial of Ketracel-white, this is what insures them to fight. They serve the Vorta, always take orders from the First (the leader of each Jem'Hader group), and pledge alleigiance to the founders, because as they say "it is the order of things".

The Dominion is not about pure combat and conquer tactics (like Klingons) but rather they find worlds and races who have something they desire. They usually offer admittance to the Dominion and if refused, the Jem'Hader get sent it to take things by force... if they agree, they must be completely loyal to the founders, or once again, the Jem'Hader get sent in. They finally decided that controlling the alpha quadrant was beneficial to the empire and thus the Jem'Hadar battle fleet was sent in; in the alpha quadrant they were overseen by the Vorta Weyoun.

In case you haven't seen it yet

Click for Spoiler:

Thanks to Gul Dukat, the Cardassians joined forces with the Dominion to battle the Federation and then eventually the Klingons and Romulans.

Also, Gul Dukat was able to take control of the Cardassian homeworld because the Obsidian order and the Romulan Tal'Shiar (sp?) were mostly wiped out on a failed attack on the founders supposed home world.

Thx Crims! Sounds kinda like the Borg, whereas the Borg just go in and take and assimilate. You've made me less confused and I now understand..two more questions..what did The Federation do to stop,stall or resist the Dominon and why when I click on the spoiler link it says error on page?

It shouldn't do that, doesn't when I click on it. hrmm

As for what the Federation did. I'm not going to go into details because I think you'll enjoy it more seeing it for yourself, but the Federation had about one year to prepare for a Dominion invasion (the time from when they first discovered their existance to the time they actually came through the worm-hole). DS9 was the first line of defence so they really beefed up the stations weapon+shield power. Also, the Federation designed the Defiant class starship, which included a borrowed Romulan cloaking device. Though very small, the Defiant (as you've probably seen) is very powerful and manuerable, perfect for battling Jem'Hader ships which are rather small in size and rely on speed. Since the Dominion could breed Jem'Hadar soldiers very fast, the Federation needed to make as many alliances as they could. Many other things happened involving the Bajor and the prophets, and are best found out for yourself. :tear:

Also, the Jem'Hadar don't really have a homeworld and every Jem'Hadar is a soldier... there are no Jem'Hadar scientists or math teachers hehe.

Thx Crims!  Sounds kinda like the Borg, whereas the Borg just go in and take and assimilate. You've made me less confused and I now understand..two more questions..what did The Federation do to stop,stall or resist the Dominon and why when I click on the spoiler link it says error on page?

The spoiler worked for me too, but if you couldn't read what was in the spoiler I've copier it's cintents below, just highlight the area between the " and you should see it.

"Thanks to Gul Dukat, the Cardassians joined forces with the Dominion to battle the Federation and then eventually the Klingons and Romulans.

Also, Gul Dukat was able to take control of the Cardassian homeworld because the Obsidian order and the Romulan Tal'Shiar (sp?) were mostly wiped out on a failed attack on the founders supposed home world."

Let me know if the Spoiler's continue to give you problems and I'll see if I can figure it out.

ok, over in the delta quadrant there is an empire of sorts called the Dominion.

They are actually part of the Gamma Quadrent. Other than that, good summery of the Dominion.

Yes, very good explanation, I would only add the reason the Founders do things the way they do is because of a time when they were prejudiced against by every "Solid" species they encountered and became sick of it.

EDIT:

One question I felt was never addressed (or I missed seeing) was why did the Founders send out individuals like Odo in the first place?

Yes, very good explanation, I would only add the reason the Founders do things the way they do is because of a time when they were prejudiced against by every "Solid" species they encountered and became sick of it.

EDIT:

One question I felt was never addressed (or I missed seeing) was why did the Founders send out individuals like Odo in the first place?

It was a way to learn there enemy. Ever wonder why Odo had a big desire to get home? Thats what the founders wanted, some shapeshifters to spy on the solids and then come home and share the information they recieved. Odo was different though because he was much like worf, living his life among solids and getting used to them and there compassion.

ok, over in the delta quadrant there is an empire of sorts called the Dominion.

They are actually part of the Gamma Quadrent. Other than that, good summery of the Dominion.

Yes, my mistake, I knew they were from the Gamma Quadrant... been watching too much Voyager haha :tear:

Don't want to give away too much. But just remember you had to love the mine field idea.

Also, I had a friend who compared the Dominions way of ensuring loyalty to that of Hitler. You know the whole, join us or die, mentality.

It wasn't that kind of mentality. As it was mentioned many times in DS9, the Founders were like gods to the Vorta and the Jem'hadar, simply because they are genetically engineered to serve them.

the Federation had about one year to prepare for a Dominion invasion (the time from when they first discovered their existance to the time they actually came through the worm-hole). DS9 was the first line of defence so they really beefed up the stations weapon+shield power. Also, the Federation designed the Defiant class starship, which included a borrowed Romulan cloaking device. Though very small, the Defiant (as you've probably seen) is very powerful and manuerable, perfect for battling Jem'Hader ships which are rather small in size and rely on speed.

Just as a nitpicky point...the Defiant wasn't designed for fighting the Dominion. It was designed to fight the Borg.

One thing I always found amusing...the great minds at the Federation design and testing center couldn't make the Defiant feasible, but one (admittedly, near-genius) engineer on a Deep Space post did? I know the Defiant was constant work for him, but you must admit, it never truly failed them!

the defiants my favorite ship, next to the NX-O1 now. the jem hadar were cool, just too bad they had psychos for masters. so yeah i guess you can look at it as a hitler type thing. the jemhadar being the ss, the changlings being hitler, and the vorta being hitlers officers. all together using fear and might to get what they want, and to make people do what they want.

They even used questionable methods even within their own organization.

The Jem'Hadar were addicted to Ketracel White. Now I know that they were bred that way, but still... :o

Stingray