Sign in to follow this  
KLund1

Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country (Director's Cut) ??

This version title is a bit confusing to me.

I can not find this version on BD. But is is on Vudu for rent and buy for streaming only.

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/details/title/180841

I think things are also more confusing in that the DVD Special Edition is actually the Director's Cut. Yes No ? And I think those terms get switched around often.

So if this Vudu ( I also found it this exact same title on my Xfinity account, see screen snip attached) just the DVD Special Edition. Or do they have a better up-scaled version not available on a disc for us to purchase.

The BD I have is just a bad transfer of the theatrical release.

Or more simply; is there a Blu-Ray ST6 Director's Cut? (even better 4KBD!)

Maybe there is a link that explains all this I am not aware of?

Thanks

(Trek Lives !)

Capture.PNG

Edited by KLund1

11 hours ago, KLund1 said:

I think things are also more confusing in that the DVD Special Edition is actually the Director's Cut. Yes No ?

I say yes.

The Special Edition is the two disk collectors set seen here: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Trek_VI:_The_Undiscovered_Country_(Special_Edition)

IIRC, it includes 99% of all the additional footage I've ever seen in the films, and a whole disk of special features.  

I am not sure if the "Directors Cut" ever had a physical disk release but if it did, I did not buy it. 

Watching the following video which compares the Theatrical and "Directors Cut", the Special Edition includes every scene shown in the so called "DC" except the Collaborator Reveals during the mind meld sequence...

I've never seen the Collaborator Reveals during the meld before so they may be part of the DC, (but they are, imo, stupid and totally ruin the intense drama of the scene.)  I know of no other scenes than shown here. 

Keep On Trekking!

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I will review your very helpful links, then 'rent' the xfinity version and report back.

I did notice that Vudu offers it in there higher quality HDX (1080p), or SD (DVD??). Similar for Xfinity, HD, & SD

The Xfinitty viewing is the DC version from the youtube link above. It included the Collaborator Reveals.

The video quality was not that good. better then DVD. But not as good as my Special Edition DVD upscaled by my 4K tv.

It would be nice is Paramont would put out a new 4kBD with all the versions.

Yyaa good luck with that .......