Sign in to follow this  
daniel4ever

Hello - I'm new!

Hi everyone! I actually am not completely new, but have not been around for a long while. I am here now with a question and am hoping that someone here might be able to help.

My husband and I are coming up on a significant anniversary, and what with the pandemic and all, are not making any special plans, so I suggested to him that maybe it would be a nice time to finally buy some DVD sets... so, I started researching what is available, and to my dismay, I am finding several iterations of TNG sets, and worse yet, reading reviews and comments leads me to believe there have been physical production problems, so we could end up with non-usable DVDs. So, it got me wondering if there might be a place that compares the different sets (released at different times) and maybe someone might have a favorite set?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome aboard!

To answer your question - get the TNG Blu Rays. That's the safest bet of them all quality-wise, AND you'll get the show in HD, which is a HUGE difference because it's almost completely remastered.

But, if SD is your thing, I'd say the issues they had at first with the DVDs have been resolved by now. (The first TNG DVDs had the issue of cases that broke the DVDs when you put them back in because the plastic was almost as hard as diamonds, lol.) But aside from that I haven't heard of any major TNG DVD issues in quite some time. I'd also say that the older sets are probably pretty difficult to get nowadays since they were replaced by newer ones gradually.

Hi Mr.Picard!

Thank you so much for the information! We do not have a Blu Ray player (yeah, we are old and set in our ways... LOL...) But maybe it is time to spring for one. :look: You have given me a lot to think about, and I truly appreciate your taking the time to reply!

16 hours ago, daniel4ever said:

Hi Mr.Picard!

Thank you so much for the information! We do not have a Blu Ray player (yeah, we are old and set in our ways... LOL...) But maybe it is time to spring for one. :look: You have given me a lot to think about, and I truly appreciate your taking the time to reply!

Anytime! If it's any comfort - I myself bought my BluRay player (AND a flat screen TV) just for the TNG Blu Rays. Until this day TNG and X Files are the only two shows I have on Blu Ray and use the player for. I prefer buying DVDs as well, they're usually cheaper and I'm not obsessed with high quality television at all, and current shows are all shot in HD already anyway so there's really no reason to buy Blu Rays anymore, the DVDs look just fine. But TNG was simply worth it, and so much. The show looks almost completely different in HD. The difference between SD and HD is staggering. But I do still also have my DVDs, I treasure them as much as my Blu Rays because I bought them with my graduation money (they were REALLY expensive when the first edition came out). But if someone forced me to choose I'd pick Blu Rays because in TNG's case, it was just MEANT to be in HD. They just didn't have the means back then. Now they do and it looks the way it was always meant to look.

Tee hee... So, while researching Blu Ray players, that also led me to learn about 4k and led me to look at TVs. We do have a flatscreen already that handles HD, but it is on the smaller side - 32 inch - because of the set up we haveĀ  -we cannot do the larger TVs. I have a smattering of movies that came as set with DVD/Blu Ray/ Digital, with the idea that we would eventually get a Blu Ray player. I too am not ready to give up my DVDs and the player I have also has a built in DVR and can also wrote to DVD, something hard to get now. I know it was startling the difference between the remastered TOS DVDs, so now I must see TNG Blu Rays!

All I need to do now is figure out which Blu Ray player to get. 8-) Thanks again!