Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Hey everyone

I'm sorry that I've been so long absent. For the past year+, I've been dealing with some serious family health issues. Actually, it's been for about the past 7 or 8 years with various family members and close friends.

I haven't even had (or taken) the time to watch any of the new Star Trek series that have come out these past couple of years. I've meant to watch Picard, but just haven't yet.

One of my non Star Trek interests, well my main non-Trek interest, as I'm sure you may recall is the Philadelphia Eagles. They recently decided to do away with their message board, which had been in existence for about 21 or 22 years and was actually the inspiration to me to create STF oh so many years ago.

Well, a bunch of the Eagles Message Board members started a GoFundMe campaign and raised nearly $4,000 to create a new Eagles Message Board... so guess who owns the new Eagles Message Board? Yep, you guessed it, I was the one who was drafted to create it (well, re-create it... it's identical to the old one).

It took a good bit of work, but doing it reminded me of my neglect of STF.  I can't promise to be on every day, because family health issues are really more pressing. But one thing that I am going to do is upgrade the board. Invision is coming out with their 4.5 version soon and I'm targeting that as the next upgrade (unless they say that I need to upgrade to 4.4.10 first).

Upgrades always mean a new skin, of course. 15 years ago, I'd just dig in and do it myself. But I don't have the time or energy for that now, so when the time comes, I'll hire someone to skin the board for us.

My question to anyone here would be, should I keep the portal as the front page or go with just a forum view?

Kevin,

Great to hear from you!!! You are absolutely correct family first. Also you are the right one to man the Eagles Message Board! How ever you chose to progress with this site it will be Great!

Thanks for the upgrade, VBG! So sorry to hear that your family health isn't good. I hope everyone will be okay!

As for your question, I'd love to see the forum on the front page - just like it was in the old days - but that might just be me.

16 hours ago, Mr.Picard said:

Thanks for the upgrade, VBG! So sorry to hear that your family health isn't good. I hope everyone will be okay!

As for your question, I'd love to see the forum on the front page - just like it was in the old days - but that might just be me.

Thanks, we're getting through it. 

I've had the original theme (skin) of the board tweaked, and a new one created. If you're seeing the same theme that you've been used to for about the past 10 year (or is it longer?), you can switch themes by clicking the 'Theme' drop down, all the way at the bottom of the site. 

You should be able to see it, if you can't just let me know. 

Yes, it works now, it looks just the way it used to! Ah, I really missed this place.  :grin:

On 6/6/2020 at 5:56 AM, Mr.Picard said:

Yes, it works now, it looks just the way it used to! Ah, I really missed this place.  :grin:

It is very reminiscent of one of the very old skins from back around 2003, isn't it?

20 hours ago, VaBeachGuy said:

It is very reminiscent of one of the very old skins from back around 2003, isn't it?

It is, yes! It looks like a slightly updated version of it. I'm digging it exactly because of that!