Sign in to follow this  
welfconfed

Facing the Nemesis

The Romulan Star Empire has been through alot in the last few years,its citizens having fought heroically to defeat the aggression of the barbaric Dominion,not to mention the amazing ability of its officers to transform the decadent Federation rabble and even some of the savage Klingon primitives into semi-competent fighters able to follow the brilliant strategy of the Imperial Fleet,but the fires of war had barely began to die when a traitorous plot concocted by the Remans and a Terran genetic abomination assassinated the Imperial Senate and attempted to use the might of the Empire and its peace loving citizens to crush the helpless Federation. Of course the courage and wisdom of the Romulan military prevailed and the Federation saved but not without cost.

With so many heroes of the Empire lost and the void left in the political order with the murder of some of the giants of Romulan diplomacy and statesmanship is it time that Romulus extended its civilizing infuence to the Federation and perhaps even the Klingons in an alliance or is another war on the horizen??

the Empire eternal, the Empire universal

jolan true

:laugh:

The Romulan Star Empire has transformed the decadent Federation rabble and even some of the savage Klingon primitives into semi-competent fighters able to follow the brilliant strategy of the Imperial Fleet

How dare you speak down to Klingon Empire Romulan scum! Remember that our Dahar Master Kor managed to attack to Romulan home world but the Romulan fleet has never even seen Qo'noS!

klingon-bop-t.jpg

(My ship)

:) :) :) :) ;) :) :) :huh:

(My crew)

:huh:

(My prisoner)

;)

(Civilian)

No. Romulans can rebuilt themselves without deigning to the Federation and the Klingons. Romulans have always survived on their own no matter what the universe threw at them and that is what makes me admire them most. Alliances would ruin them. They are perfect the way they are.

The ROMULAN STAR EMPIRE will never make an alliance with the federation and definatley not the cowardly klingons.

:tank: :tomcat: :tank:

<_<

Edited by Tal Shiar 8472

How dare you speak down to Klingon Empire Romulan scum! Remember that our Dahar Master Kor managed to attack to Romulan home world but the Romulan fleet has never even seen Qo'noS!

I've never stepped in targ droppings either, but neither I nor the Romulan fleet feel in anyway cheated.

Kor....wasn't he part of the zoological exhibit on Romulus? Ah, yes ...the snarling Klingon,right between the Denebian slime devil and the Ferengi tube grub.

Moving on to a more important subject, the future of the Empire.

I did not suggest an alliance with either the Federation or the klingons as a gesture of friendship or as a sign of weakness, but as a means to secure our borders and conserve our strength while we rebuild. In other words,to use federation naivete or klingon ignorance to our advantage.

To those who would suggest war, be sure you do not confuse superiority with invincibility. The federation are fools and the klingons animals,but they have the man power and resources to inflict serious harm if we are not careful.

However,I do admire your patriotic spirt in matters concerning the Empire.

the Empire eternal,the Empire universal

Jolan true

:(

I see now what you mean. The Romulans have always been able to get some of the powerful houses of the Klingon Empire to ally with them. Of course, a lot of those houses ended up falling apart but there are always opportunities with others. And of course, say the word "peace" in the presense of any Federation citizen and they are instantly at your side with a treaty. To use this to our advantage would be most beneficial. You are right in that we are not invincible, and I know that very well too. Your arguements are valid and goods ideas to keep in mind for the future. Life to the Empire!

Who would cull the Remans? Your post is unclear. If you mean the Romulans, so long as they keep them under control, it is not necessary to cull them. Just "accidently" shove Shinzon off a cliff. LOL

Who would cull the Remans? Your post is unclear. If you mean the Romulans, so long as they keep them under control, it is not necessary to cull them. Just "accidently" shove Shinzon off a cliff. LOL

Well its about honor...the Remans are second class citizens, and by

doing what they did they have essentially 'dishonored' the Romulans. You must note that Romulan honor is intense. If one is very dishonored they usually take their own life. The Remans really Dishonored the Romulans by coming to power, and then to rule over them...bad pudding I say :(

They would likely face the vengence of such treachery (In the Romulans Eyes I would Think)

Edited by Argelian

Well its about honor...the Remans are second class citizens, and by

doing what they did they have essentially 'dishonored' the Romulans. You must note that Romulan honor is intense. If one is very dishonored they usually take their own life. The Remans really Dishonored the Romulans by coming to power, and then to rule over them...bad pudding I say :(

They would likely face the vengence of such treachery (In the Romulans Eyes I would Think)

How could the Remans dishonor the Romulans? The Remans where not second class citizens. They where slaves to the Romulans. They where treated worse than we treat our farm animals. They had no rights in the Romulan empire. They could not choice they wanted to mate. The Romulans did had pick the best to mate so their off-spring could be the work in the mines. The problems with the Remans was created by the Romulans themselves. Do you remember at the beginning of the movie? The Remans did ask for their freedom. After what they did for the empire during the Demion War. The empire had the nerve to denied them their independence outright.

What the slave does reflects badly on the master. It was very possible for the Remans to dishonor the Romulans, and they did. I think I agree with you, Argelians. I see nothing wrong with how the Empire chooses to run itself. If they allow slavery, that is their business. It was not a matter of "nerve" really. The Remans could not stop themselves from becoming slaves. They had been slaves for a long time. To Romulans, there is nothing wrong with this. Killing them might be appropriate, but then, if they are the ones who dishonored the Empire should they not kill themselves? (Of course, if they refuse, other means might have to be taken...)

How could the Remans dishonor the Romulans?  The Remans where not second class citizens. They where slaves to the Romulans.  They where treated worse than we treat our farm animals.  They had no rights in the Romulan empire.  They could not choice they wanted to mate.  The Romulans did had pick the best to mate so their off-spring could be the work in the mines.  The problems with the Remans was created by the Romulans themselves.  Do you remember at the beginning of the movie?  The Remans did ask for their freedom.  After what they did for the empire during the Demion War.  The empire had the nerve to denied them their independence outright.

I'm unaware of any reference to the Reman/Romulan relationship being outright slavery other than Shinzon's attempt to influence Picard, thus a interpretation that may be less than honest.

As to any eugenics program involving the Remans, again I don't recall any reference.

...and quite frankly, if the Remans were treated as 'farm animals', how the devil did they manage to build the scimitar, and get the Romulan's to allow Shinzon to become Praetor?

I really do not know anything about the Remans. I am merely speaking from what I have seen. Truthfully, I really could not care less about the Remans. I was more interested in the main Romulan thing.

I really do not know anything about the Remans. I am merely speaking from what I have seen. Truthfully, I really could not care less about the Remans. I was more interested in the main Romulan thing.

I agree the focus should be on the Romulans and not the Remans.

I did however feel it was appropriate to address Odie's assumptions about Romulan/Reman relations, if for no other reason, simply to insure that the Romulan view was treated fairly.

I realize that and I am glad you did. (That way I do not have. J/K :laugh: ) They might just play a large part in the future of the Empire. I hope not, but who knows. It is just good that the Romulan government is back in Romulan hands.

I realize that and I am glad you did. (That way I do not have. J/K :angry: ) They might just play a large part in the future of the Empire. I hope not, but who knows. It is just good that the Romulan government is back in Romulan hands.

I couldn't agree more, it is a great relief that the true government has been restored.

With the negative interpretations of the Romulan/Reman relationship, I'm tempted to start a separate thread on the subject. :angry: The reputation of the Empire is at stake. :angry:

That would be an excellent thread. If our past conversations in this, and other threads, are any indication, we will surely find a lot to talk about on the subject. I eagerly await the new topic.

That would be an excellent thread. If our past conversations in this, and other threads, are any indication, we will surely find a lot to talk about on the subject. I eagerly await the new topic.

Thank you valeris, I will strive to do my best. I plan to obtain a copy of Nemesis on vhs today, as my dvd player decided to have a nervous breakdown. :P

Shame about your DVD player. I am blessed with two DVD players (one for the family on the TV and one on my laptop, though the one on my laptop breaks down halfway through the movie nine out of ten times) so I have not had to deal with this problem. Good luck in obtaining a copy. :P

(My attempt to restart this thread. :) )

Ok, the Dominion war is over, Voyager is home, and the Reman incident has happened.

United Federation of planets- is weakened by the Borg incursions and the Dominion war, but has gained quite a bit of new technology and data with the return of Voyager.

Klingon Imperial Empire- Due to their reckless tactics, it will be decades before they recover. They also have, with Martok, a rather non-expansionist, pro-Federation chancellor in charge.

Ferengi Alliance- Untouched by the war, but with the revolutionary reforms of Grand Negus Rom, the Ferengi have too much to worry about within their own borders to effect anyone else for now.

Cardassian Union- The Union itself has been virtually destroyed, and Cardassia Prime is hardly more than strewn bodies and rubble.

Breen Confederacy-Defeated in the war, but didn't suffer the casualties of Cardassia.

Dominion-Its alpha quadrant forces have been defeated and with Odo's influence the great link has surrendered to the allies, but they are just as powerful in the Gamma quadrant as before the war.

Borg Collective-Future Janeway brought chaos to order, but if even a single drone survives, the collective may be rebuilt.

And finally, the Romulan Star Empire, far fewer casualties from the Dominion war than its allies, but with the murder of the senate, disgrace of the military and Tal Shiar, and Reman insurgents armed with scimitar-type warbirds, improved cloaks, and thalaron weapons of mass destruction, the Empire is in chaos.

Now, my question, if you were in charge of the RSE, how would you secure your position, stabilize the Empire, and what long term policies would you pursue?

Democratization or a brutal police state? Alliances or isolationism?

Borg Collective-Future Janeway brought chaos to order, but if even a single drone survives, the collective may be rebuilt.

It's true that the future Janeway brought chaos to order, but the Borg has adapted by now, and you will likely see them soon. ( Watch my fabfic "Resistance is futile" then it comes up. )

:)

What a way to restart this thread. I am horrible with politics on Earth itself, let alone the entire galaxy! I went into intelligence (see title above commodore's rank). So we have pretty much the entire Alpha and Beta Quadrants in shambles, the Gamma Quadrant is still looking pretty good, though it is likely they will not attempt another invasion any time soon, and the Delta Quadrant... well, I really do not know as Voyager does not come on where I live. I am praying for some of the season sets for Christmas. It looks like most powers will keep to themselves and try to rebuild yet at the same time try to keep hold of the tenuous alliances formed because of the Dominion War. I know that for the RSE, isolation has always worked well in the past and I rather like that policy too, though with all the turmoil going on right now, it would be prudent to still keep eyes and ears everywhere. As for the internal government, I would probably not change it. It worked well for us until that stupid human came and destroyed it. I find officials in government who I had my eyes on for some time as having the potential to be good leaders (for what leader would not keep tabs on her subordinates?) and set up the government again. It is not the people who are at fault, but the Remans, so it is there that I would tighten the leash.

Ironic that you should 'become an agent', because I think any hope of stabilizing the Empire and confronting its internal and external enemies must be centered around the T.S..

In the immediate aftermath of the Reman incident, I would suggest a temporary coalition government made up of :

'Fleet Admiral' (later, proconsul) Donatra

(assuming she took control of the Romulan Fleet, eliminated or arrested the conspirators, and 'suspended the authority' of the Imperial Fleet high command pending completion of the investigation into exactly how extensive the conspiracy was.)

I believe, if she quickly exposes the disloyalty and dishonor of the conspiracy and creates a climate where disloyalty to the emergency government is seen as an attack on the honor and stability of the Empire itself, then she can prevent any questioning of her personal authority over the Fleet and minimize any open dissent from the leadership of the Tal Shiar, not to mention the planetary and regional governments within the Empire.

Another challenge will be utilizing the Federation task force without giving the impression to either the Federation or her opposition in the Empire that she is a puppet of the UFP or that the Empire continues only at the convenience of the Federation.

There must be no doubt in the minds of the Romulan people that in any alliance, the Romulan Star Empire will be the 'senior partner' and the UFP must be kept mindful of the continued might of the Empire.

Her Imperial Majesty, the Empress of the Romulan Star Empire

We know virtually nothing about her, but we can speculate.

I think it is safe to assume that the position of Empress is largely symbolic. After all, the political power was with the Senate and the military power was with the Imperial Fleet.

I believe that we can also assume she is relatively young, given that Q considered her a potential mother for his child.

So this relatively young Empress, which up til now had little power or real responsiblities, will BECOME the Romulan Empire in the minds of the people. She will be the face of legitimate authority, the continuation of Romulan culture, and the example for all Romulans to follow.

This is going to be hard enough, but she will also be under incredible pressure from the various factions to give her support to them. She will face a very dangerous future.

The (New) Chairman of the Tal Shiar

We don't know who the chairman (assuming he/she wasn't murdered along with the Senate) is, but who ever it is will have to be taken care of quickly.

However, with the Federation watching so closely, it would be best to deal with the Chairman in a 'civilized' way. The best way would be to simply promote him completely out of the Tal Shiar and into a prestigious, but powerless position far from Romulus. (perhaps as the new Ambassador to Breen, I hear the winters are lovely :dude: )

I would suggest appointing some one from military intelligence, preferably someone Donatra knows personally and trusts completely.

If she is to retain control of the Tal Shiar, she must place it under her personal authority, in other words, under the jurisdiction of the Romulan military.

This is a dangerous, but neccessary, step; because for the time being, most of the actions the Empire must take at home and abroad will have to be covert and 'untroubled' by agents of 'questionable' loyalty.

Granted this is a very temporary solutiuon, but some type of government must be in place immediately.

But this still leaves the questions of the internal and external obstructions the Empire must deal with.

(I guess that will be in part 2 of my posts :dude: )

Edited by welfconfed

(Part 2 of my rabblings :biggrin: )

Ok, assuming 'Proconsul' Donatra is successful in securing control (or at least loyalty) of the civil and military authorities, then the real work can begin.

[note: If anyone is wondering why I suggest Donatra take the title Proconsul instead of Praetor, it is because the Proconsul is the head of the Senate, while the praetor is the Romulan equivalent of a chief executive of the government.

By assuming the title of Proconsul, it is implied that the senate will continue and that any dictatorial power Donatra exercises will be temporary, emergency powers. A bit like someone in the U.S. taking on the title of President pro tempore of the Senate or speaker of the house of representatives]

First the internal threats to the empire.

(In the interest of brevity, I will simplify as much as possible.)

First and foremost on the agenda must be the Remans.

This will be no easy task. Fear will empower extremist through out Romulan society, some Romulans screaming for the extermination of the Reman race, some screaming for appeasement and immediate Reman independence.

[i assume they already have some measure of self rule, but the 'independance' movement will really have more to do with removing and isolating the Remans from the rest of the Empire than with Reman political autonomy.]

Donatra must resist the influence of either of those two groups.

Neither extermination or isolation are options open to the Empire, not to mention the inherit moral and practical problems if they were.

She must negotiate with the Remans, but with the understanding that the Remans must disarm, aid in the securing of all thaloran weapons in their possession, and Remus must accept full intergration into the Imperial system. (with all the responsibilities and rights)

I would suggest involving the Federation in the negotiations, making sure that key Reman leaders are far, far away in UFP space, having long, boring conversations with Federation diplomats, while their families remain under the protection of the Romulan Guard.

(Darn it, I still haven't touched on Romulan foreign policy yet, perhaps part 3?)

Edited by welfconfed

(Ok, part 3)

Now IF the empire is stabilized, the Federation task force aids in the confiscation of the Reman thaloran weapons, bases and ships, and IF the three way negotiations between the Empire, the UFP, and the Remans takes place, we can focus our attention on external threats to the RSE.

Threat Assessment Report:

The Alpha Quadrant

United Federation of Planets-The UFP is, ultimately, the only real winner in the Dominion war and the primary threat to the RSE.

The Federation has pro-federation 'puppet rulers' in the Klingon Empire (Chancellor Martok, who was given the Chancellorship by Star Fleet Lt.Com Worf after Worf murdered the previous Chancellor Gowron), the Ferengi Alliance (Grand Negus Rom, a waiter, later Jr.Grade technician, aboard a Star Fleet controlled space station), and perhaps even the Dominion (Former Bajoran security officer, operating with Federation approval, the Changeling, Odo. He exercises such influence within the Great Link that he was able to single-handedly convince the Dominion to surrender to Federation forces.)

I have no doubt that , in the aftermath of the war, the UFP will attempt to do the same to the Cardassian Union and Breen Confederacy. (There have already been reports that the former Obsidian Order agent and war time operative for Star Fleet Intelligence Elim Garek appeared on Cardassia as soon as the war was won.)

I think we should also considered the possibility that Star Fleet may have been behind the Reman insurrection.

With the decapitation of the Romulan state at the hands of the Human Shinzon, it would be quite easy to have an agent of Section 31, perhaps one already highly placed in the imperial government, in command of the Empire.

And then there is Voyager, home from the Delta Quadrant and loaded with advanced, alien (and in some cases future) technology. Voyager's computer data alone could be enough to tip the balance of power in the Federation's favor. (sensor data, schematics, etc.)

Not to mention the Borg technology already adapted for Star Fleet use.

I don't believe the seriousness of the threat possed by the Federation to the continued independence of the Romulan Star Empire can be over-stated.

With the UFP in possession of a technological advantage, as well as, in control of most of the governments of the great powers of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants and the RSE still recovering from the Dominion war and the Reman insurrection, it would be suicide to attempt to battle the Federation openly.

However, if the Empire is to continue to exist, the UFP's expansion must be halted and soon.

Recommendations:

Expand operations on Vulcan.

Use every covert means available to aid the anti-Federation 'Vulcan separatist' movement, extend peace overtures to the reunificationist both inside the Empire and on Vulcan.

Exploit the similarities between the Vulcan and Romulan views on war (Vulcans are pacifists and Romulans go on the the offensive only out of necessity) and that it was the Humans and their Klingon allies that have been responsible for most of the bloodshed over the previous twenty years. (A Human Captain antagonized Q and lead to the Borg incursions, a Human Captain mishandled the Dominion crisis, and Human Admirals were responsible for, the conspiracy to violate the treaty of Algeron, an attempted military coup on Earth, and the Son'a incident.)

Promote the idea that Vulcan's membership in the (Human dominated) Federation helps create the very interstellar conflicts that the Federation was oringinally created to prevent.

Help to make the future uses of the 'Voyager project' a public debate.

The Vulcans will demand to know if it will go towards newer, more destructive weapons.

This will create a no win situation for the Federation, by using the technology to strengthen their military, they threaten to weaken themselves politically.

The Vulcans will also ask, if the technology isn't ear marked for aggressive military use, then why not share it with allies that only a few short years before had shed their blood along side the Federation? (such as the Romulans, who had already set the precedent of sharing technology by giving the Federation a cloaking device)

(I guess I will continue my threat assessment in part 4, sorry to take so long :hug: )

Edited by welfconfed

Don't hate on the Klingons you parg!!!!! We are a great race unlike the romulan who like to run with their tails between their legs lol.

It is we Romulans who are the great race, Klingon veruul! You sit in the hands of a Chancellor who, as James pointed out, is a human puppet, and we are still a proud race, able to rebuild our government again and triumph!

And James, do not feel badly about taking so long to post. Rebuilding the government of an entire Empire is hardly an easy task, and were it to all be addressed in one long post, that post would take hours to read, especially as in-depth as you are analyzing the situation. I bow to your analytical skills (and your patience LOL). :assimilated: However, when dealing with the UFP, consider this: The Dominion War took a very heavy toll on them. Their resources are stretched very thin, starships and starbases need parts that cannot be made as fast anymore, and their fleet has lost many fine ships. Despite all their allies and almost-allies, they are severely weakened. It might be a good time to exert a bit more pressure on their borders particularly if we can weaken them from within as stated in your plan.

I think we know who is the diplomat and who is the Fleet Commander. LOL Perhaps the Empire would be better in your hands. :wow: