Sign in to follow this  
welfconfed

who are we to judge an whole race

The Cardassians may not be my favorite alien race,but quite frankly given human history(world wars,ethnic cleansing,slavery,interstellar conflicts)maybe we shouldnt be pointing fingers, but instead stay quiet and be thankful that the rest of the galaxy has better manners than to point out OUR shortcomings. :borg2:

(meant to be part of 'do cardies have positive qualities thread,sorry) :assimilated:

Edited by welfconfed

I've always thougt the Cardasians to be much like te Nazi's and te Bajoran's to be like the Jewish population (very religious,and i don't want to offend, but most Jews have a distinct nose shape, and so do the Bajorans :assimilated: )

Edited by ARMS

Arms ill try not to take offense in the nose shape comment.. but yea in a way it kinda is like that only there are still many bajorans left.. not many jews.. wood that mean dukat is hitler?

The Cardassions are a more devious (not to mention WAY more powerful) version of Romulans

226690[/snapback]

Not are, were more devious/powerfull B)

Last thing I heared of was their entire capital and empire in ruins with close to a billion deaths. They are nothing now.

We all the different types of races that we are have our flaws and throught that this how we learn from our mistakes.

The Cardassians may not be my favorite alien race,but quite frankly given human history(world wars,ethnic cleansing,slavery,interstellar conflicts)maybe we shouldnt be pointing fingers, but instead stay quiet and be thankful that the rest of the galaxy has better manners than to point out OUR shortcomings.  :spock:

(meant to be part of 'do cardies have positive qualities thread,sorry) :laugh:

107524[/snapback]

if humans have gotten past all the war,poverty, and stuff, then yeah, we should point fingers and phaser banks if we have to. :lol:

the best way to make amends for our sins is to prevent it from happenning again.

The majority of Cardassians,like the majority of citizens in any dictatorship or military regime weren't like their officials or military at all.I found most of the civilian Cardassians I saw on DS9 (especially when not under the nose of the Osedian Order....or Garak) to be just as intelligent and easy-going as any "good" race on the show.

The Cardassians have a chance to start over now that their once powerful military is gone.I wouldn't be surprised to see both Cardassia and Bajor in the Federation before the year 2400 (Trek time,of course).

We already know from example that Cardassians make good soldiers and scientists.They'd have a lot to offer.

What if humanity was given the same hardships the Cardassians were given, no resources, growing populations, unrest throughout the land. Maybe we would have been more like them and vice versa. Humans are very quick to war, I've notice, not just nations, but people as well.

I agree.

I'm afraid when humans do get past that whole darn E=mc2 thing and develope significantly faster-than-light-speed (or light-speed alternative) space flight,we are going to be a very nasty species for the unsuspecting,friendly less-developed alien to run into. :)

I just lack the faith that we as a species will ever approach anything near the level of civility the humans on Star Trek display.

Edited by M_5

It's rather the methods they used that was the problem.

Yes, it's terrible that their homeworld was resource poor and that drove them to conquer other planets, but they completely abused the Bajoran people, working them to death, killing them for fun, burying people alive, slave labour and systematically raping Bajoran women in front of their husbands and children.

IMO, DS9 should have based quite a lot of episodes on the Federation's failure to act during the sixty years of the Cardassian occupation of Bajor. The point of the episodes could have been the debate between the "Dovish" Federation of "peace" and non-interference with galactic matters, and the "Hawkish" Federation which takes action.

It could have centred on the debate on whether Bajor should have joined the Federation or not with the Bajorans forcing the Federation to re-evaluate it's own history by pointing out that in their time of need and suffering, the Federation did nothing to help them. They could have said that the Federation may not have been so willing to help them with their reconstruction efforts if they didn't have a stable wormhole in the Bajoran System.

That's what I would have written if I was on the creative staff.

If anything, it may cause some fans to think about this "Utopian Paradise Of Peace" Earth and Federation that they love so much (a concept I personally loathe) and question whether it has been a good thing or not. Should the Federation have been more militaristic or not?

Addressing subjects like this would IMO have pushed DS9 even further along as the best Star Trek show, bar none.

Edited by The King