Sign in to follow this  
Madam Captain

Garak

I thought I would start a discussion about Garak, the Cardassian taylor on Deep Space Nine. Even though I have only recently started watching DS9, I think Garak is my favorite minor character on the show. I really love the mysteriousness of this character and his subtle approach to everything. I also love the way he carefully divulges information to Julian and the way he hints about being, or not being a spy in the past.

Did anyone else love this character?? Or did you find him irritating?

Madam Captain out!!

He was one of my favorite characters on DS9, I have a really hard time picking a favorite DS9 character though. But the Garak episodes were awesome. I can't think of a single Garak episode I don't like. I even named a smilie after him :) :)

Garak is one of my favorite minor DS9 characters..There were so many great minor characters on DS9..But Garak was unusual in that you never quite knew what to believe. What was he really up to?..Is he telling the truth to Julian or not? The Garak episodes were very entertaining and I enjoyed them immensly..

You deliberately didnt know much about Garak and that gave a hidden depth to his character, although parts of his life came out in parts, you never really found out the whole truth.

Oh, Garak is my fave DS9 character, since I'm not that much into the DS9 main crew. He's just great, you never know if he tells the truth or not (he would probably say, he tells HIS truth :) )...

He's just great. :)

Mrs. Captain Picard

I also think it was brilliant, in the later episodes where he takes more of a prominent role within certain episodes and you got to learn more about his background and his true self

Stardate:21422.9

Garak was my favorite character on DS9.I loved every episode he was in.Especially the ones where he teamed up with Doctor Bashir.

I love this quote which pretty much sums up the whole character of Garak for me:

Bashir: "Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"

Garak: "My dear Doctor, they're all true..."

Bashir: "Even the lies?"

Garak: "Especially the lies."

I also enjoyed the novel "A Stitch in Time," written by Andrew J. Robinson and tells of what happens to Garak after the end of DS9.

I also think it was brilliant, in the later episodes where he takes more of a prominent role within certain episodes and you got to learn more about his background and his true self

Oh Yes, I Very Much Enjoyed How Much They Explored His Character.

Garak Rocked. :assimilated:

If It Seemed That He Were Involved Heavily In The Episode, You Can Bet It'd Be A Great One. :borg2:

I thought I would start a discussion about Garak, the Cardassian taylor on Deep Space Nine. Even though I have only recently started watching DS9, I think Garak is my favorite minor character on the show. I really love the mysteriousness of this character and his subtle approach to everything. I also love the way he carefully divulges information to Julian and the way he hints about being, or not being a spy in the past.

Madam Captain out!!

Oh my gosh, just you wait 'til you see "In Purgatory's Shadow" and "By Inferno's Light" (Season 5, I think?) and "In the Pale Moonlight" (Season 6). If you think you like Garak now, it's nothing compared to how you'll feel about him after watching those episodes.

He is the very best of the supporting cast on this show ... he just blows Gul Dukat away.

Madam Captain out!!

Oh my gosh, just you wait 'til you see "In Purgatory's Shadow" and "By Inferno's Light" (Season 5, I think?) and "In the Pale Moonlight" (Season 6). If you think you like Garak now, it's nothing compared to how you'll feel about him after watching those episodes.

He is the very best of the supporting cast on this show ... he just blows Gul Dukat away.

I look forward to watching those episodes. I have seen the first three seasons of DS9 so far and the show just keeps getting better. Garak's character seems to be getting more complicated as the show progresses, which also makes him more interesting.

I didn't really like DS9 when I first started watching it, it took a while to get into the show but now I can't get enough!!

Madam Captain out!!

After having just watched 'In Purgatory's Shadow' and 'By Inferno's Light' I've got to say, those two episodes are among the best television I have ever seen, bar none. A classic one and a half hour tale of honour, betrayal, love and hate. And of course Garak, who steals the show. :)

It also has one of those classic Worf quotes.

Worf: [to Sisko] 'At the first sign of betrayal, I will kill him. [Garak] But I promise you this: I will leave the body intact.'

Sisko: 'I assume that is a joke?'

Worf: 'We will see.'

Edited by Sasooni

I love the little quips that Garak comes up with in the middle of conversations, its half a joke and half deadly serious and your not sure which way to lean

I love the little quips that Garak comes up with in the middle of conversations, its half a joke and half deadly serious and your not sure which way to lean

I love the way Garak always tells people that he is just a simple taylor. He really is highly intelligent and my guess is that he was a very successful spy in the past. However, I smile each time he tells people that he 'overheard somebody talking about it when he was taking up the hem on someone's trousers'

Linda

After having just watched 'In Purgatory's Shadow' and 'By Inferno's Light' I've got to say, those two episodes are among the best television I have ever seen, bar none. A classic one and a half hour tale of honour, betrayal, love and hate. And of course Garak, who steals the show.  :rolleyes:

Worf: [to Sisko] 'At the first sign of betrayal, I will kill him. [Garak] But I promise you this: I will leave the body intact.'

I just watched 'Our Man Bashir' last night and I loved it!! Garak was fantastic as usual and I think he was a bit embarrassed by Julian's 007 holodeck program. I had to laugh when Julian shot that guy with cork from a champagne bottle - how ridiculous and yet so typical of Julain to have such a corny holodeck program. I will definitely be watching that episode again, it was hilarious!

Madam Captain out!!

After having just watched 'In Purgatory's Shadow' and 'By Inferno's Light' I've got to say, those two episodes are among the best television I have ever seen, bar none. A classic one and a half hour tale of honour, betrayal, love and hate. And of course Garak, who steals the show.  :)

Another good line from In Purgatory's Shadow:

GARAK(to Worf): "Lying is a skill like any other. You've got to practice if you want to be any good at it."

I just watched 'Our Man Bashir' last night and I loved it!! Garak was fantastic as usual and I think he was a bit embarrassed by Julian's 007 holodeck program. I had to laugh when Julian shot that guy with cork from a champagne bottle - how ridiculous and yet so typical of Julain to have such a corny holodeck program. I will definitely be watching that episode again, it was hilarious!

Madam Captain out!!

Have you seen the video I put together as a tribute to this episode?

http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?showtopic=4840

Garak is the best character living in DS9, but not the best cardassian in the series

by the way

Marc Alaimo = Actro who plays GUL DUKAT also played as a Romulan in the TNG episode "Neutral Zone"

:blink: is cool i think he is one of the best characters on ds9,i like

his shady type of guy image and his wit!! :wow:

Garak is the best character living in DS9, but not the best cardassian in the series

by the way

Marc Alaimo = Actro who plays GUL DUKAT also played as a Romulan in the TNG episode "Neutral Zone"

I'm not the only Dukat-appreciater, eh? :blink: I love Garak, too, but I'll always have a prediliction for Dukat - at least through season 6.

Marc Alaimo has played a lot of ST characters. Again, VBG, I love his banner!!

I LOVE GARAK! <_< = :unsure:

He is by far the coolest dude on Star Trek. If you haven't read the book about him (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: A Stich in Time) you should. It goes really in depth into him and makes him even cooler! Plus then you will understand my name.

I LOVE GARAK!    :clap: =  :wub:

He is by far the coolest dude on Star Trek.  If you haven't read the book about him (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: A Stich in Time) you should.  It goes really in depth into him and makes him even cooler!  Plus then you will understand my name.

I still remember "GarakGirl" :wub:

I LOVE GARAK!    :clap: =  :wub:

He is by far the coolest dude on Star Trek.  If you haven't read the book about him (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: A Stich in Time) you should.  It goes really in depth into him and makes him even cooler!  Plus then you will understand my name.

I still remember "GarakGirl" :wub:

I never really liked that name. There wasn't much substance or history to it. Lubak10 is much better.

The character of Garak on DS9 helps to spice things up. I feel that sometimes the best characters on tv shows are the ones that you know nothing about.

I loved all the Cardassian characters! Garak included. IMO, his shining moment came in "In the pale moonlight", when he got rid of a Romulan Senator and a condemned criminal so that Sisko wouldn't have to(very thoughtful),thus helping to enlist the aid of the Romulan Star Empire in the battle against the Dominion. :tribble: