Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Simon Pegg Explains Why There Are Two Star Trek Films In Development

The big news for April was Paramount’s new CEO announcing that the studio had not just one, but two Star Trek films in development. One was the previously announced follow-up to Star Trek Beyond, and the other was a new (and “seperate”) film, based on an idea from Quentin Tarantino. While this may look like it’s part of expanded “Star Trek Cinematic Universe,” Scotty actor Simon Pegg says it at least didn’t start with some grand plan.

Speaking to Film School Rejects while promoting his new film Terminal, Pegg explained why there are two films currently in the works:

I think it was a coincidence. We were gearing up for [Star Trek 4] and getting ready for that and then Quentin strolled into Bad Robot one day and said listen to this. It was just really interesting and I think it just got out and so everyone started talking about it. And also, Star Trek is kind of, with Discovery and stuff, it’s in the public conscious. It never left it, really. It’s entering its second 50 years. I think it’s great that it’s being talked about so much.

Turning a corner towards production on Star Trek 4

Pegg also clarified again that he and his Star Trek Beyond writing partner Doug Jung are not involved with penning Star Trek 4, as that is being done by John Payne and Patrick McKay. The actor also noted the recent hiring of director S.J. Clarkson was a sign that production on Star Trek 4 is nearing:

With S.J. attached, it feels like we’re starting to round the corner on actual production. I am hoping to get more info soon. They keep us in the dark as much as they can because they know we always get asked questions.

Doesn’t think Tarantino Trek will be Pulp Fiction in space

With regards to the Tarantino Star Trek project, currently being penned by Mark L. Smith, Pegg again talked about being excited by the notion and tried to allay any fears fans may have that the film could introduce the kind of over-the-top violence which Tarantino is best known for. Speaking to ComingSoon Pegg said:

Everyone sort of assumes it’s gonna be like “Pulp Fiction” in space, but I think his devotion to “Trek” and his understanding of it… It won’t be ordinary, it’ll have him all over it, but it won’t be anything a “Star Trek” fan will have to worry about. He has an acute understanding of the story and he’d never do anything to tear it down.

Recently Pegg has noted that he doesn’t even know if he will be in the Tarantino Trek film, but that may soon change as he told ComingSoon he could soon be in the loop:

I haven’t read the treatment yet, but I might be able to in the next couple of weeks, so I’m excited about that.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/05/16/simon-pegg-explains-why-there-are-two-star-trek-films-in-development/