Sign in to follow this  
Captain Ericks

The Undiscovered Country

Okay I know that Spock kind of explained it on the Bridge while the ship was under attack, but I never quite understood how it was that General Chang's Bird of Prey was able to fire while under cloak.

Was there ever a real explanation given for it.

I'll Have To Watch It Again. In The Meantime, I'll Look It Up.

Edit:Hmm...I Looked It Up In My ST Ency. All It Said Was That It's Experimental, lol

Edited by Sam The Smuggler

Okay I know that Spock kind of explained it on the Bridge while the ship was under attack, but I never quite understood how it was that General Chang's Bird of Prey was able to fire while under cloak.

Was there ever a real explanation given for it.

I don't believe that it was explained. Only that it was a Prototype Bird of Prey that could fire while cloaked..

Its not just Chang's bird of prey either, you also have the scimitar from ST: Nemesis that could fire while cloaked as well.

I thought ships couldnt fire through cloaks because the inside of the cloak would reflect the blasts back at the ship, how could they have found a way around this?? hmmm.......

I thought ships couldnt fire through cloaks because the inside of the cloak would reflect the blasts back at the ship, how could they have found a way around this?? hmmm.......

I believe the cloak is just an effect of bending Light around the ship so would'nt it be the shields which would cause a blowback, not the cloak?

As for a way around it, that's shown in the movie. When the torpedo is firing you can see the launcher so a hole must be opening in the cloak (or shields or both) to allow it to egress.

It was mentioned in the film that this was a prototype Bird-of-Pray and the only one.

As for the Scimitar from Nemesis, you have to figure this is about 100 years after Undiscovered Country's events and the Romulins have been working with cloaking technology for a couple of hundred years already. It make sense to me they had a cloak you could shoot thru.

I believe the cloak is just an effect of bending Light around the ship so would'nt it be the shields which would cause a blowback, not the cloak?

As for a way around it, that's shown in the movie. When the torpedo is firing you can see the launcher so a hole must be opening in the cloak (or shields or both) to allow it to egress.

Okay, thats true, but going back to the way the cloak works, I checked my Star Trek Fact Files, apparently the cloak acts as 'a form of double shield. If a weapon were fired, it would rebound against the firing ship'

Ok, I didn't know that & I believe you. That means the hole opens in both the sheilds and the cloak. Thanks for the info about the cloak! :)

Okay, thats true, but going back to the way the cloak works, I checked my Star Trek Fact Files, apparently the cloak acts as 'a form of double shield. If a weapon were fired, it would rebound against the firing ship'

And When Did This Ever Happen?? :)

And When Did This Ever Happen??  :)

Sam, could you please narrow down your quote to include only what you're addressing? I feel the need to reply: "throughout the course of today". :)

apparently the cloak acts as 'a form of double shield. If a weapon were fired, it would rebound against the firing ship'

I'm Asking About That.

What do you want to know about it?

When Has It Ever Rebounded?

I dont believe it actually has ever rebounded in any episode. I took it from the 'The Official Star Trek Fact Files' so i assume it happened at some point during the cloaking devices original development and was a problem that couldnt be gotten around (allowing of course for the exception of Chang's BOP and the Scimitar)

Just a small piece of relevant but probably useless trivia - the federation's first encounter with a cloaking device was in 2266 when the Enterprise encounters romulans near the neutral zone (cant remember the episode)

I thought it was but i didnt want to commit myself and get it wrong, I keep slipping up on the details - perhaps its because its 1.30 in the morning

That is one thing that puzzles me - It must be really hard to keep track of time in space I mean, its all well and good checking the nearest display every so often, but do you really want to kepp having to find a display with the time on it? it not like you can look out the window at judge it by the sun (or lack thereof)

Yeah, i know, but im refering more to losing track of time, y'know- like when you do something for a while and you stop and you have lost track of how long you have been doing it. I wouldn't want to keep asking the computer the time

But anyway, I think I'm leading this topic away from what it should be, oops

Edited by Cramase

I feel that since the time of 'The Undiscovered Country', an experimental 'firing while cloaked' ship would be perfected by the Klingons by the TNG era. I mean - they'd done the hard part. All it needed was perfected.

I feel that since the time of 'The Undiscovered Country', an experimental 'firing while cloaked' ship would be perfected by the Klingons by the TNG era. I mean - they'd done the hard part. All it needed was perfected.

I thought it was only a rouge group of Klingons who developed it, and after Chang's dishonor, maybe the technology was scrapped?

I thought it was only a rouge group of Klingons who developed it, and after Chang's dishonor, maybe the technology was scrapped?

Rogue.

And Perhaps You're Right.

I checked back to my fact files, and not even they have an answer for why the special cloak was scrapped, hmmm

Am I right in thinking that a cloaked vessel needs lowere its power out put, to prevent being detected. I always assumed that was part of the cloaking device.

Your sort of right, the cloak puts a large drain on the ships power to keep it running within paramiters

Edited by Cramase