Sign in to follow this  
Bethlehem

Who is Watching

None of my family members is watching Discovery. My good friend who is a physicist and life long Star Trek fan, is not watching Discovery nor the Orville. He refuses to pay, nor likes what he hears in the many reviews he reads and watches. He asked me what people here are saying, and I told him there was virtually no one here is watching or talking about it, but that one guy really loves it. (That would be you, AE!)

I only bought CBS all access to watch Discovery. I pay the low amount that means I get commercials. The jury is still out for me. I find a certain prevailing heaviness in working with the emotions of betrayal, guilt, resentment, suspicion, revenge,manipulation on a regular basis. You don't see a lot of friendship. There is a lot of sadness. Now they are lost in space.

I will start watching again when they have new episodes, but I don't see myself watching reruns the way I do with all the other series.

I don't even see Kevin here commenting on this series. But we do have AE.

How dare I obtain any sense of enjoyment from this abomination! :laugh: Gene's Vision must be spinning in its grave!

@VaBeachGuy Kevin is probably very caught up in his Eagles right now, but I am hoping he gets around to watching and weighing in on it here someday. Him being TOS fan, I suspect he'll appreciate what they are trying to do with Discovery.

But even if he hates it that won't effect my opinions of the show. I watch what I like regardless of others opinions. 

:newyear:

Most of my Star Trek friends are watching this show. My wife and I specifically subscribed to All Access just for the show. I am not influenced by the opinions of others either. I enjoy the show and the many twists and turns that many of the other series seemed to lack. There is little predictability on this show. For example, who really saw Dr. Culber's murder at the hands of Ash Tyler coming? This is the kind of edgy trek needed to reinvigorate the franchise, in my honest opinion. 

And the death of Dr. Culber was another shocker for me....I can't count on who the characters are in this version of Star Trek. I'm tossing, twisting in real life. I cannot make an emotional investment. No other Star Trek has been this dark or or left me with a feeling of hopelessness.

I do have an update on who's watching. Since CBS all access has this free period, my physicist friend ( we are both in our sixties) has gone back to watch the first few episodes of Discovery. Last time I spoke to him he had finished the episode where they had freed the spore drive creature. He is questioning the whole idea of the spore drive, but I would suggest that for him, like me, the show is watchable. Curiosity is the trump card.

With regard to the mirror universe, Discovery has been so dark that there is not the stark contrast between the universe Discovery left, and where it is now...not like in the original series.

But what was actually wrong with Ash Tyler! Didn't see it coming.....wow!

It is always darkest before the dawn. ;-) 

Wow is right. The Tyler reveal was speculated of but as executed, no one could say for absolute certainty. That they kept that secret for so long is amazing!  As usual I cannot wait to see what they have up their sleeves next...

Is the current Emperor descent of Hoshi Sato?

Is Lorca originally from the MU?

Will Stamets and M Stamets combine to become Q? LOL! Kidding but I do expect them to do some kind of miracle together.

And about the Eagles. Since I found out Kevin, was and Eagles fan I find myself rooting for them. Except when they play the BEARS (please hold the applause).

GO EAGLES :dude:

15 hours ago, Bethlehem said:

It sounds like over all Trek fans are enjoying the new series. Maybe I will break down next year and pay for it.

Season one ends in a few weeks. Wait till it does then, if it's still available, subscribe to the free trial and binge the whole season one in a weekend. If free trial isn't available, buy one month, watch, then suspend the account until season two is available.

On 1/18/2018 at 6:56 PM, Bethlehem said:

It sounds like over all Trek fans are enjoying the new series. Maybe I will break down next year and pay for it.

It is well worth the few bucks to see it. Trust me, I am not disappointed with this latest installment of Star Trek.