Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Remember the opening credits for NEM?

Check out how they were supossed to go vs how they ended up on the screen...

STAR TREK: NEMESIS

by John Logan

INT. MEDICAL MONTAGE DAY

Life. Glorious in its many forms. The biological pulse finding its way heroically through the cold manipulation of science.

CREDITS as we see a beautiful montage of futuristic medical technology. Through a microscope we see cells multiplying and gene strands exponentially increasing with the vibrancy of exploding flowers. We see laser splicing and biological manipulation on the molecular level.

CREDITS continue as we fade to...

INT .ROMULAN SENATE CHAMBER NIGHT

Politics... In a cavernous, shadowy chamber. Dark figures lean together and talk seriously. Their hushed, urgent tones denote the gravity of their discussion.

We can't make out the words but there is no doubt what they are talking about.

The three year old HUMAN BOY who stands before them. The boy is alone and frightened, lost in the sweeping grandeur of the massive chamber.

CREDITS continue as we fade to...

EXT. REMAN HOMEWORLD NIGHT

Labor...

On a stark, desert planet with monolithic mountains and harsh crags shooting upward. The only light in this dark netherworld comes from the flames that accompany the hellish mining operations everywhere around us. The human boy gazes over this desolate vista and then he looks up for a moment... at the stars.

Then a tall figure leads him firmly into one of the mines. The boy seems to disappear into this flaming crucible.

CREDITS end as we go to...

EXT , ROMULUS SUNSET...

What a difference huh?

I wish I knew why. At the theater it was spoiled from the start by not having that beginning, I felt like standing up and shouting out loud: "We've been robbed!"

It could have something to do with failure of NEM, I only saw it at the theater once because of the chop job they did to it (and not just the credits.)

To be honest, that opening seems a little "busy" to me. Three different location shots in quick succession with no real dialogue? I don't like the way it ended up either, but I think a balance of the two would have been best. Just imo. :laugh:

Ace (I respect your opinion but) it's a credit sequence, imo that's the perfect place to do a lot of backstorytelling without intruding on the film it's self. It happens (and works) all the time.

Sam The Smuggler Posted on Jan 2 2004, 08:21 PM Actually...Now That I Think About It, I Believe That On The DVD, They Said They Wanted To Be Different With 'Nemesis'....Or Something Like That.

You know what they could have done to make it different? :laugh: When they showed the Paramount logo, the "stars" falling to surround it could have been little Star Trek logos. :laugh:

Ace (I respect your opinion but) it's a credit sequence, imo that's the perfect place to do a lot of backstorytelling without intruding on the film it's self. It happens (and works) all the time.

That's perfectly alright. I admit that it does work often; I just don't think it would've worked well in this instance. When it comes to my Trek movies, I want to go right in and start the dialogue. As for while the credits are still going, I never cared much for the backstory being shown at the same time. Just a quirk of mine I guess. I'm sure if it had actually been done that way, i would've liked it. :laugh:

Also I didn't notice you were talking about the credit sequence til now. Thought you were talking about the actual movie, post-credits. My mistake.

Nice idea 'bout the stars, btw. :laugh: Maybe someone should suggest that to Paramount.

Edited by Ace

i dont like the director : he is an action director, but man he sucked! one real "action" scene in the entire movie and it was on

on

on

a Jeep for crying out loud!

Bring back Rick Berman and Ira Stephen Behr any day!

i dont like the director : he is an action director, but man he sucked! one real "action" scene in the entire movie and it was on

on

on

Ya Mean Besides The "Dog Fight" & Fire Fights?

I think part of NEM's problem was that many, many fans had read the script, so instead of enjoying a 2-hour action flick, which would potentially be the last movie with the TNG crew, they felt robbed.

Personally, I loved the movie. As many know, my only major complaint is the cutting out of character moments.

on

on

I didn't see a jeep. :laugh: I saw a 24th century cargo shuttle with a wheeled vehicle, both called Argo. :laugh:

on

on

I didn't see a jeep. :laugh: I saw a 24th century cargo shuttle with a wheeled vehicle, both called Argo. :laugh:

considering a while ago in a (i think) TNG episode, that they didnt know what wheels were....

and it goes against 33 years of trek tradition...

I would love to see the opening credits as it was planned to be, and they also cut out far to many character moments. I have the DVD and I have watched some of the scenes they cut out. The one with Data and Picard discussing their future was AWESOME! Why the HELL did they cut that out?!?!

As for the Argo, I must agree that it seems strange they made a vechile with wheels, when the crew for some years ago didn't even know what a wheel was..

As for the Argo, I must agree that it seems strange they made a vechile with wheels, when the crew for some years ago didn't even know what a wheel was..

I find it hard to believe that a millennia-old invention would cease to be in the future. Can you provide the episode title where they didn't know what this was? Also, don't you think they would know what it was from their own history?

I find it hard to believe that a millennia-old invention would cease to be in the future. Can you provide the episode title where they didn't know what this was? Also, don't you think they would know what it was from their own history?

I can't remember the episode, but I am pretty sure I've seen, I have just begun re-watching all the season DVDs, so I'll let you know if I find it :laugh:

One could also argue if a flying or hoovering vechile would be a better choice then one that has wheels since wheels limit where the vechile can operate.

Edited by Stelfan

I can't remember the episode, but I am pretty sure I've seen, I have just begun re-watching all the season DVDs, so I'll let you know if I find it :)

One could also argue if a flying or hoovering vechile would be a better choice then one that has wheels since wheels limit where the vechile can operate.

Which is easier:

A - Landing the shuttle, walking arround, finding something, lifting off, then landing somewhere else, walking arround, finding something, lifting off, and so on...

OR

B - Driving arround in a wheeled vehicle.

I'd say B. :lol:

My major complaint with that whole seen (with the Argo), is the digital grading. It is just horrible. It looks like they drop that portion of the film in bleach or something. Yuck!! And, yeah, Stuart Baird didn't really know Star Trek. His goals were focused more on making an action movie, which he unfortunately succeded at. I hope that this teaches every involved with Trek a lesson. "Stay with in the family. People who know about Star Trek directing Star Trek."

I didn't really have a problem with the Argo, it could have been made to look a little bit more 24th century, but IMO, a hover craft in a desert terrain would have been to close to Star Wars to be original.

My major complaint with that whole seen (with the Argo), is the digital grading. It is just horrible. It looks like they drop that portion of the film in bleach or something. Yuck!! And, yeah, Stuart Baird didn't really know Star Trek. His goals were focused more on making an action movie, which he unfortunately succeded at. I hope that this teaches every involved with Trek a lesson. "Stay with in the family. People who know about Star Trek directing Star Trek."

1. They did that on purpose. :lol: It was to make the world look alien, and for me, they succedded. :)

2. They don't need to stay within the Trek family, they just need someone who knows what Star Trek is, which Stewart Baird did not. :)

Which is easier:

A - Landing the shuttle, walking arround, finding something, lifting off, then landing somewhere else, walking arround, finding something, lifting off, and so on...

OR

I'd say B. :)

You forgot "C": beaming to down to the first signal source then from site to site before beaming up again. I know, I know, using the Argo was a different way of doing things and I didn't mind at all. The twinkle in Picards eye over having that option for a change made it worth it imo and besides, I once read an OS story that had Bones and Vulcan using a dune buggy on Vulcan.

I too was ok with the alien looking sky, it was an alien world. If I remember correctly they did that same sky effect in TNG episode: Descent :lol:

Which is easier:

OR

I'd say B. :)

You forgot "C": beaming to down to the first signal source then from site to site before beaming up again. I know, I know, using the Argo was a different way of doing things and I didn't mind at all. The twinkle in Picards eye over having that option for a change made it worth it imo and besides, I once read an OS story that had Bones and Vulcan using a dune buggy on Vulcan.

Geordi said that they couldn't risk beaming down due to an unfriendly ion storm that could "change coarse without much warning". Besides, even when they were "right there", Data's tricorder still couldn't isolate exactly where the parts where.

Ok I'll buy the ion storm but your going to have to convince be about the tricorders not being able to pinpoint the B4's parts. Why couldn't they?

Oh. Perhaps the atmosphere had something to do with it or the laws of physis were temporally suspended. Just one of those things I guess.