Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

2004 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship

Today was the first day of this year's World Junior Hockey Chapionship. This year it is being played in Helsinki, Finland. The tournament runs roughly two weeks and the teams are made up of players aged 16-19 (mostly 18 year olds). This year's tournement looks like this:

Pool A

U.S.A.

Russia

Slovakia

Sweden

Austria

Pool B

Canada

Finland

Czech Republic

Switzerland

Ukraine

The favourites to win the Gold Medal are Canada, Russia, Czech Republic, and the overall favourite is the U.S.A. (this is because they have at least 8 returning players and a large number of 19 year olds). Outside chances to Slovakia. Finland, and Sweden.

Anyway, here are today's results

Pool A:

U.S.A. 8 - Austria 0 (While the U.S. is the favourite, don't read too much into this as Austria is not all that good)

Russia 2- Slovakia 2

(Sweden did not play)

Pool B

Czech Republic 8 - Ukraine 0 (Same deal as the U.S.-Austria game)

Canada 3- Finland 0

(Switzerland did not play)

Current Standings:

Rank Team W L T GF GA Pts

1 United States 1 0 0 8 0 2

2 Russia 0 0 1 2 2 1

2 Slovakia 0 0 1 2 2 1

4 Sweden 0 0 0 0 0 0

5 Austria 0 1 0 0 8 0

Rank Team W L T GF GA Pts

1 Czech Republic 1 0 0 8 0 2

1 Canada 1 0 0 3 0 2

3 Switzerland 0 0 0 0 0 0

4 Finland 0 1 0 0 3 0

5 Ukraine 0 1 0 0 8 0

Tomorrow's games:

Sweden vs. Austria

Switzerland vs. Ukraine

Watching this tournnament has always been a holiday tradition in my house as it is for many other Canadian households. I thought I'd post it here because I thought some of the members from these nations might take an interest and I'm not entirely sure of the level of coverage in other nations. Hope those who were interested enjoyed it and I'll probably continue to post these everyday unless there is no interest.

GO CANADA GO!

You're probably to young to remember this Jack but I remember the first time Canada won the World Juniors. The tournament was held in Minnesota in 1981/82. Canada wasn't expected to win the gold medal which was obvious since the gold medal game was played in a small town (it was before they started the playoff system) and the rink didn't have a copy of Oh Canada to play after the game so the Canadian players sang it instead. That started a tradition of very poignant (and slightly off tune) renditions of the National Anthem being sung loudly and proudly by our players every time we won a tournament.

Yeah, I am too young Takara. That happened at least four years before I was born. Good story, I hope they win this year. They looked pretty good today.