I was able to watch it this morning online.  I kinda LOVE it.  It's just so Star Trek-y.

Characterizations, Treknology, Treknobabble, it really has it all.

It's a shame someone can parody Star Trek better than Trek owners can create actual new canon. 

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the Discovery story hits a home run.

The critics aren't thrilled with it, but I really hope The Orville lasts awhile.

It is getting blasted by critics but it has a high audience score on Rotten Tomatoes https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/orville/s01 and IMDb http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5691552/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt

The bad news is its Nielsen numbers are about the same as Son Of Zorn which, (much to my dismay) went down in flames after one season. http://tvline.com/2017/09/12/the-orville-ratings-series-premiere-fox/

The third episode, About A Girl, was the best yet.  I would have liked for it to end differently, but it was not unexpected.

OK, first thought- For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky.

2nd thought - OMG, IT's LIAM NEESON.

3rd thought - Rocky Road ice cream and The Sound of Music always makes me happy, too.

:wow:

I have watched each episode so far, and while there are many aspects I do not care for, I like a lot of it, and it has good issues in the episodes, and more than one point of view. Some of the humor is too risque, but other is side-splitting hilarious.

My favorite humor was when the brother asked the captain about whether they could still have lidded drinks on the bridge, and the captain said sure. And later we saw he taking a sip. (I don't have any of the names in my head).

Haven't you wondered if the crew really did all their eating in the cafeteria?

I really liked the fact that in the latest episode, fighting the Krill, they could not bring themselves to let the children be harmed, yet were told that these children would grow up hating them.

That was a very star trek-like episode in my opinion. They had to act to stop the Krill form murdering 100,000 or so people, yet couldn't slay the Krill children, who remain to hate them for killing everyone else, which was the only way to stop the mass killing. A no win scenario.

Edited by mj

15 minutes ago, athena28 said:

Glad it was renewed. 

me too! So happy in fact I could have sex with a blue alien. Female of course, just because I am a traditionalist:laugh:

Enjoying The Orville.  Definitely has a lot of parallels with Star Trek.  Seth himself is a bit of a Trekkie, I believe, and had a cameo in an episode of Enterprise, so I'm not surprised he'd be doing this.  They've definitely toned down the comedy aspect of it, and made it more of a sci-fi show in its own right.  Sad to see Alara leave though.  I liked her character, but at least the science behind her condition was quite sound.