Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Smiley

Doh!

Okay,I suppose what I did was really stupid.

:biggrin:

Yesterday I tried to play an old,scratched CD on my computer (it had played for me in my compact CD player just a moment before).Once I placed the disc inside the PC's disc drive it started spinning really quickly (I could hear it),and then...Bang!It exploded....

I spent an hour cleaning CD bits and pieces out of my computer's disc drive.But now,the disc drive will not work.

Tell me,how much is my idiocy going to cost me?

Am I going to have to take my PC in for repairs?(Lord,I'm dreading the replies...I know I messed things up).

I need to get the disc drive working again.Its very important...

cd drives are pretty inexpensive. as long as it wasnt a cd-rw drive or a dvd-rw drive, you should be able to replace it pretty cost-effeciently. Still sucks though.

There very easy to install as well there is only 2 wires that need to be pluged in (3 if you include the CD to Sound card wire) so you should not have to take it in you can to it your self. I installed a new DVD Drive on mine yesterday and it took me about 2 mins from Windows shut down to windows start up

Thanks for the help.

After further checking,I think I may have done more damage than I thought.

Now,I can't get the CD tray to slide out of its little slot at all....

Man...stupid,stupid,stupid...

Last week my girlfriend tryed to record on to a cracked CD-R which ripped up in the drive now I have no CD-RW Drive :biggrin:

Last week my girlfriend tryed to record on to a cracked CD-R which ripped up in the drive now I have no CD-RW Drive :biggrin:

damn, you seem to have alot of troubles with your computer! lol.

damn, you seem to have alot of troubles with your computer! lol.

My computer is fine. Its when the girlfriend gets on it that things go wrong.

about a month ago I switched on my computer and I would not start. I took it apart and found it had no BIOS battery, Shed took it out to use it in somthing else.

Hahaha! That's hilarious!

It is looking back but at the time I was, as Worf would say "Definitely feeling agressive tendencies"

Captain Smily,

ive had that problem, it may be different in your case, but i say:

dont try and fix it or even take it in for repairs, if you know a small amount about the inside of computers, i say buy a new CD drive ($20-$50) or a CD-RW drive ($50-$150) and put it in.

Captain Smily,

ive had that problem, it may be different in your case, but i say:

dont try and fix it or even take it in for repairs, if you know a small amount about the inside of computers, i say buy a new CD drive ($20-$50) or a CD-RW drive ($50-$150) and put it in.

A friend of mine suggested the same on the phone tonight.Its my CD-RW drive that's shot.

I might ask him to have a go at it.I'd just mess my computer up worse by fooling around with the insides myself. :biggrin:

My friend mentioned something about buying a CD-RW drive which could be connected to the PC through a USB port.He said that way I wouldn't have to try and open my PC up and make repairs myself.Anybody know what product he's talking about (I have an e-machines W2247 model PC)? :)

yeah - external drives are almost as common - however, they were expensive when i went for one........

I've also heard external drives are much slower than internal drives.

Stardate:213937.8

EXPLODED!!!!!!! Woa man that sucks!!!

Yeh drives can be kinda expensive...unless you look on EBAY or something like that