Sign in to follow this  
Danny

Months at high warp just to get there?

There was one episode where Riker is pondering a job as a captain on a ship in a distant sector. He said it would take months at high warp just to get there. That's not very realistic. Why would Starfleet send a ship so far when they are always stretched so thin near the Romulans and Klingons? I don't think ANY ship is that far. It took them about 3 seconds to get from the neutral zone to Earth in First Contact.

it only took 3 seconds because it would boring to just traverse space for at least 3 months..

Enterprise had travelled over 40 light years in a year.....so at the end of season 2, say 100 light years...it took them 2 years to get there and 3 seconds to get back.

also, what about the Expanse - thats 2 weeks away - and they got there in 2 minutes

Edited by trekzone

I had a problem with that,too.Enterprise made it to Sector 001 way too quickly.

I don't see the task force holding its own against the Borg for the hours it would have taken Enterprise to arrive.

But,I just overlook that and enjoy the film.

it only took 3 seconds because it would boring to just traverse space for at least 3 months..

Enterprise had travelled over 40 light years in a year.....so at the end of season 2, say 100 light years...it took them 2 years to get there and 3 seconds to get back.

also, what about the Expanse - thats 2 weeks away  -  and they got there in 2 minutes

Sorry man I don't understand a thing you wrote lol.

Anyways, this was the weakpoint in firstcontact. It pretty much ruined a great movie. If they were so far away, there should have been scenes showing them preparing for battle during their travel back to Earth.

The point would be to not ruin the movie. They had just gotten the ship adn could have benefitted from some leasure scenes or even some scenes leading up to the battle. In the Best of Both Worlds they showed (even if it was only for a few scenes) the crew getting ready to do battle with the Borg. If you jump from action scene to action scene you have nothing and the movie is meaningless.

The point would be to not ruin the movie. They had just gotten the ship adn could have benefitted from some leasure scenes or even some scenes leading up to the battle. In the Best of Both Worlds they showed (even if it was only for a few scenes) the crew getting ready to do battle with the Borg. If you jump from action scene to action scene you have nothing and the movie is meaningless.

I think that the Enterprise wasn't that far away from earth, they made long range scans of the neutral zone, that doesn't mean they have to be so close to it.

And it did probably take the Enterprise a few hours to get there, and since there were so many ships against the borg it isn't very strange that the battle lasted that long. IMO it would only be boring to watch some scenes that have nothing to do with the story just because they have to travel to earth.