Have you tried an internet dating service  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Have you tried an internet dating service

• No,
    • Yes, but won't give my name
    • Yes
    • Thought about it
    • Thinking about it

I recenlty read that online dating services were one of the most profitable online enterprises. I also read that results have actually been better than with tradidional dating services and have given people reason to examine exactly what qualities are important to them.

Has anyone had an experience they don't mind sharing. How about a reference to a reputable site?

No, my mate and I have been together since before the net was in diapers. Would I if I needed a date? No way.

Edited by Alterego

I do not trust dating services, period, let alone an on-line sevice. I would rather take my chances with people who know me "setting me up," although that has not happended for a long time.

Yes, I have tried this a few times in the past. But only on free internet dating services. There are some out there. I haven't had any success with it and I'm not sure that I want to share my experiences right now. I probably won't do it again. Sure, you talk on line to these people but it really is impersonal. And I still view it as a blind date when you finally meet..

How is it personal when you have never met the person? ;)

If you re-read my post I think you'll see that I said impersonal. Which I think means 'not personal at all'..But I may have used that word wrong..I meant to say that it isn't personal at all..

How is it personal when you have never met the person? ;)

If you re-read my post I think you'll see that I said impersonal. Which I think means 'not personal at all'..But I may have used that word wrong..I meant to say that it isn't personal at all..

Woops, I missread.

I voted no.  I would never date someone I wasn't friends with.  Besides, internet dating?  How could you possibly know anything about them?  They could be lieing and you'd never know.

And that's different from real life conversations in which way?

I voted no.  I would never date someone I wasn't friends with.  Besides, internet dating?  How could you possibly know anything about them?  They could be lieing and you'd never know.

And that's different from real life conversations in which way?

You cannot see the person. It could be the same sex for all you know, or multiple people. It could be some freaky looking (as in warped, not deformed) person, who knows.

Just like buying a computer, I'd rather do so in person.

Stardate:213915.7

No way not in a million years.Like was said above you dont REALLY know who it is your talking to.Besides IMO online dating is not a good thing anyways, when you dont even have to leave the house to get a date with somebody then there is something wrong with society IMHO.

I know a couple of people who have tried it though and lets just say it didnt work out at all. My aunt tried it and this guy flew over from Ohio to meet her.This idiot sold all his stuff to get here.There relationship lasted about 3 weeks then she kicked him out.Since he sold all his stuff he has to live in the streets ;) Serves him right for being stupid to begin with :clap:

[glow=red]Stardate:213915.7

No way not in a million years.Like was said above you dont REALLY know who it is your talking to.Besides IMO online dating is not a good thing anyways, when you dont even have to leave the house to get a date with somebody then there is something wrong with society IMHO.

]

I live in a small town where there is no realistic hope of ever - ever meeting a potential date. I've been leery of online services but US News and World had an article lately about people actually having success with it and they're a pretty reputable mag.

I have actually tried it a couple of times and I had quite a few responces but I never respond back......I always am to shy to lol....I fear rejection ;)

I haven't tried any online dating services and don't intend to, but I don't view meeting someone online as always a bad thing. My stepsister met her husband in an AOL chatroom and they're very happy together. He's a great guy and the whole family gets along with him just fine. It just goes to show that you do need to be careful but not everyone on the net is a freak.

No thanks. I'd like to be 100% sure they are who they say they are, and I don't really just go on dates with a random girl. I have to get to know them first.

No way. I don't like the uncertainity of internet dating. I like to meet people face-face and talk to sus them out. It takes me a long time to make up my mind and usually by then I've missed my chance. I don't even like close friends or relatives match-making me. :o

I recenlty read that online dating services were one of the most profitable online enterprises.  I also read that results have actually been better than with tradidional dating services and have given people reason to examine exactly what qualities are important to them.

Has anyone had an experience they don't mind sharing.  How about a reference to a reputable site?

It is a fact that you can meet both normal and very "sick" people both on the internet and in real life. The issue is to be very careful and cautious no matter what. There are many on line dating services. I have personally used several. In fact the person I have been with for over a year now I met through a dating service............and I am still alive, never been abused or harmed in any way. If you would like more information, PM me, and I will give you more details.

I have thought about it. Mainly because the only places around here to go to meet people are bars and clubs and I would rather meet someone when I am sober.

Don't make me laugh! I dated once online and I have about 50 guys trying to get me to date online again! That's why I blocked their dumbasses, but all in all, internet dating is BADDDDDD!!!

You think real men in my real world would actually want me to date them? *pity party*

I have thought about it.  Mainly because the only places around here to go to meet people are bars and clubs and I would rather meet someone when I am sober.

Aren't you married though, or were you speaking hypothetically?

No, I am not married and never have been even though I have come close a couple of times, I am currently unhappily single.

I've gone into chat rooms and read what others were saying,but never posted or went in using my real name.

Those chat rooms...no matter what their subject matter,they're always filthy,dirty.I'm not sure I'm even old enough to listen in on what's being said :lol:

I haven't gone back to any in months.There's no point,IMO.

As for Internet dating,I've never really tried that.I'd be afraid of meeting into a nut. :blink:

I have thought about it.  Mainly because the only places around here to go to meet people are bars and clubs and I would rather meet someone when I am sober.

Aren't you married though, or were you speaking hypothetically?

No, I am not married and never have been even though I have come close a couple of times, I am currently unhappily single.

What happened to the engagement and wedding plans? :blink: