Sign in to follow this  
Madam Captain

Would you let The Doctor treat you?

I was thinking about all the great scenes between The Doctor and the other characters on Voyager, when I came up with an idea for a new thread. Here goes:

Would you let The Doctor treat you?? Or would you rather be treated by Julian Bashir, from DS9 or Beverly Crusher, from TNG??

I would prefer to be treated by Beverly Crusher because she always seemed to be sympathetic towards her patients. She also had a good bedside manner. Julian's bedside manner was okay, although he was bit too arrogant and he thought he was the master of 'everything' (especially in the earlier seasons) I can't say much about him from the later seasons because I have only seen up to early season 2 so far. The Doctor had extensive medical knowledge and he was very competent but his bedside manner, or lack thereof was offputting. However, if it was a real emergency and/or I had no other choice, I would let The Doctor or Julian treat me.

What does everyone else think??

Linda

If i had a problem i would go to see Dr Mccoy and hope he didn't say she's dead Jim :eek: He always has a nice bed side manner,always a gentleman. The Doctor( EMH) is funny i know many real Doctors with a much worse bed side manner than him. I would see him as long as he didn't sing opera (not my thing). :lol:

Hm, I don't think I would get along well with Dr. Beverly Crusher (whatever the reason for that may be :eek: :lol: ), Bashir... well... naaaah, he's not the type of doctor I like, so I would chose the Doctor, of course. He's my fave VOY char - and my favorite doctor, well, if Bones is not available *thinks*... ;)

I'd have to chose between Bones and The EMH, but I think for treating me I'd like the EMH better... He... uhm... looks better - and he has more knowledge B) :bow: :lol:

Mrs. Captain Picard

I'd let any trek doctor treat me, they're bound to be better than anyone we've got.

Yes, I agree with your statement. It made me laugh :eek: I guess any trek doctor would probably be better than the ones we have these days, even Dr McCoy. If I had to choose the best looking doctor, I would go for Julian. If I had some really weird condition (like an alien intruder was inside me, or an alien had implanted itself onto my body) or an unknown virus, I would choose the EMH to treat me. He seemed to have a knack for getting to the bottom of things and his medical knowledge was amazing.

I haven't seen much of TOS so I have no idea what Dr McCoy was like with his patients.

Linda

Glad you found my statement amusing and thought provoking Linda :lol:

Adam

Hi there Adam :eek:

I did find your statement thought provoking. I really admire people that know exactly what to say and they don't have to beat around the bush trying to say it. I have been told that I always get straight to the point when I want to make a statement. Why bother starting off with a lengthy discussion about why you are going to say something, when it can be said in just a few words?? The lengthy discussion can wait until later!!

However, when I'm typing replies on message boards, I like to go into great detail. I could write several essays about particular quotes and storylines in Voyager episodes. Many of the issues raised in certain episodes can be related to real life situations. A great emphasis was also placed on returning to Earth to be reunited with family and friends. I will finish off with this statement:

"Earth is a great place to live but it wouldn't be the same without our family and friends"

Just something I made up,

Linda

id enjoy the doctors company, sure! lets hope his program isnt tampared with like in Worst Case Scenario :laugh:

I'd rather be treated by Beverly Crusher, so sweet, so gentle. I need that in a Dr. or I run away screaming. If however The Doctor was the only option, he could always sedate first.

If forced to put them all in order: Beverly, Bones, Bashier, Phlox, The Dr.

I would have no problem being treated by The Doctor. He has great medical expertise, and I'm sure he could diagnose and treat whatever I've got in seconds. In fact, I could use him around right about now. (*sniff, cough* I've got that sickness that I always get around this time of year. *sigh*) I always enjoy his sarcasm, wit, and sense of humor. He is most definitely among my favorite Star Trek doctors and my favorite Voyager characters.

If i had a problem i would go to see Dr Mccoy and hope he didn't say she's dead Jim  :laugh:  He always has a nice bed side manner,always a gentleman. The Doctor( EMH) is funny i know many real Doctors with a much worse bed side manner than him.  I would see him as long as he didn't sing opera (not my thing). :laugh:

ALWAYS had a good bedside manner? I've seen him strike stubborn patients!!!

Anywho, The Doctor is the most capable doctor there is. He is a sentient computer with so much medical knowledge its crazy. Don't forget the fact that his design allows him to be more accurate in his work too! Oh no, he is annoying... big woop, I would much rather a little annoyance over misdiagnosis!

Anywho, The Doctor is the most capable doctor there is. He is a sentient computer with so much medical knowledge its crazy. Don't forget the fact that his design allows him to be more accurate in his work too! Oh no, he is annoying... big woop, I would much rather a little annoyance over misdiagnosis!

I'm glad you find I'm the most capable doctor around. I guess am pretty good. *looks smug* :laugh:

Edited by thedoctor

I would agree that The Doctor's bedside manner left something to be desired. But he was thorough and competent. As far as bedside manner, Bones and Dr. Crusher were the best in my opinion. But, as was mentioned in another post, I'd prefer any of them to some of what we have treating patients here in this century.

I would have no trouble having the Doctor treat me. His bedside manner is far superior to some of the doc's I have seen!! Actually, I like Dr. Pulaski as I mentioned in the Dr Katherine Pulaski thread.

Glad you found my statement amusing and thought provoking Linda :(

Adam

Hi there Adam :(

I did find your statement thought provoking. I really admire people that know exactly what to say and they don't have to beat around the bush trying to say it. I have been told that I always get straight to the point when I want to make a statement. Why bother starting off with a lengthy discussion about why you are going to say something, when it can be said in just a few words?? The lengthy discussion can wait until later!!

However, when I'm typing replies on message boards, I like to go into great detail. I could write several essays about particular quotes and storylines in Voyager episodes. Many of the issues raised in certain episodes can be related to real life situations. A great emphasis was also placed on returning to Earth to be reunited with family and friends. I will finish off with this statement:

"Earth is a great place to live but it wouldn't be the same without our family and friends"

Just something I made up,

Linda

Hmmm that's a good one, as you could say that, Earth wouldn't be as good without other people, even if you effectively ruled the world due to this, you'd need friends and family to keep you sane.

Also many people seem to care about 'bed-side manner', where as i wouldn't give one, aslong as i'm alive and well.

Adam R M S :dude:

Given the choice I would probably much rather be treated by Crusher or even Bashir. It's not that I don't think the EMH Doctor would do a bad job but rather both Crusher and Bashir our simply kinder and more charming.

Not that Kind and charming is always good.. Phlox on the other hand is extreemly kind and charming but I don't think I would want him treating me... but that's really more out of a fear of having a slug attatched to my forhead for 3 days then anything else.

And well Bones.... I love Bones but it seemed like his patiants were always dying. And on the off chance that they lived he useally couldn't explain how since they should have been dead.

Now this is a topic I like. It's obvious that people would only want the doctor to treat them in emergencys.... he's an EMH! As for the doctor's bedside manner, well, I enjoy his dry sense of humor, as well as the fact that he only sings tasteful opera. Doctor Bashir seems too confident to me, but I wouldn't mind being treated by him. Doctor Crusher is far to motherly for me, but I suppose that is desired in deep space.

Now this is a topic I like. It's obvious that people would only want the doctor to treat them in emergencys.... he's an EMH! As for the doctor's bedside manner, well, I enjoy his dry sense of humor, as well as the fact that he only sings tasteful opera. Doctor Bashir seems too confident to me, but I wouldn't mind being treated by him. Doctor Crusher is far to motherly for me, but I suppose that is desired in deep space.

Right on all counts, personell anaylsis must be your fortay, you should think about a carreer in starfleet.

Right on all counts, personell anaylsis must be your fortay, you should think about a carreer in starfleet.

Why thank you, That was a very kind remark. I'm hoping to make captain some day.