Sign in to follow this  
trekkiebabe

Computer question

This morning the sound on my pc was working fine (at about 7 am CST),but now the only sound coming out of my speakers is a loud sort of "white noise".Even when I try and use headphones,that white noise hisses out of the 'phones,too.Anybody know what the problem might be?

I'd hate to think it was something major...

Because I like listening to Cd's while I'm doing work,and browsing for movie clips.

Stardate:213879.8

Have you played anything real loud on your speakers.If so its possible you could of blown your speakers as well.Hopefully though that isnt the case

<_< Ha ha ha.  I just changed my boot screen and login screen and all my machine does right now is boot.  Then reboot.  Again and again, automatically just before the login screen appears.  Doh!

P.S.  I'm writing this from work.

Windows 98 or XP?

OK, it's XP Home but I've fixed it. Luckily I'm big into backing stuff up and have an extra drive that I use purely for this purpose. I changed the master and slave drives and booted up the back-up copy of XP, then swapped the files I'd changed back the originals. Only to about 10 or 15 minutes to crack it open, switch the HDs and overwrite the new files in safe mode then swap back the drives and put it back in place. In case your wondering, I just got tired of the Windows XP boot screen and the login screen and changed the following files to some cooler pics:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\logonui.exe [for the login]

and

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe [for the boot screen]

Apparently, Windows XP updates often change the version of the latter and if the one you replace it with isn't identical, well, let's just say you want it to be identical. All good now.

Not sure why I put this here, but it seemed to make sense to keep it in a computer problem thread.