Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Would You?

Would you date someone who doesn't like Star Trek?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you date someone who doesn't like Star Trek?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, as long as they don't make a big deal about it.
    • No, I can't have a relationship with a Non-Trekkie..!

Recent personal events has led me to this question. I would ask "Would you date someone who likes Star Trek"?..But I think all of us would say YES..So how about the reverse..?

As for me, I would say: Yes, as long as they don't make a big deal about it.

How about you all?

Stardate:213608.7

Yeh I would and have.It wouldnt and doesnt bother me.If they dont like Star Trek then thats there decision, what do i care?

I said No, but that is a qualified no - it depends on what he doesn't like and why. If he likes SciFi and science generally but prefers Stargate or something that's one thing. But if he thinks Scifi is stupid we might not relate too well.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

I voted that no I don't mind as my wife does not like si fi in general but I do make her go see all the star trek and star wars movies when they come out but I go with my dad to see the lord of the rings so she does not have to go.

Why should it matter if they like Star Trek? :lol:

I think Crewman Parrish was joking,Captain.

As for myself,I wouldn't care one way or the other.She would have to be a Christian though.

It was not directed to Mr. Parrish, but rather to the thread. Why should someone not liking sci-fi have an effect on the relationship?

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

It was not directed to Mr. Parrish, but rather to the thread. Why should someone not liking sci-fi have an effect on the relationship?

Somehow I knew you would be the one who would question this thread! (No offense intended) It's been my experience that women don't want anything to do with me after they learn I'm into Star Trek. They just all seem to run away..I'm probably just meeting the wrong people..I just wanted some more opinions on it..You're right CJLP and everyone else..It shouldn't matter that I like Trek..But somehow it does..

Well, if they run away due to the fact that you like Star Trek, be glad they did, as you don't want to be in a relationship where a women will run off at first notice. :lol:

Keep in mind that it's A OK to mention you like Trek, just don't go on and on about it as that might scare them off. :lol:

Personally I love Star Trek. But I think there are far too many issues that are more important to me about the person I would date than whether they like Star Trek. So I voted, Yes!

"No, I can't have a relationship with a Non-Trekkie..!"

Thankfully, I have no need for dating any longer. The Power TB :lol: has given me the perfect mate. Even though her favorite genre is horror she loves Trek (almost :lol: ) as much as I do.

I voted yes on the proviso that my partner would let me overdose on Trek and not whinge, complain or make remarks so I could still enjoy my vice. No complaining about wasting my money on the DVD season sets either.

Otherwise a firm no! I would still need to be able to access and watch my favourite show. :lol:

Why should it matter if they like Star Trek? :)

CJLP - if it matters to the parties involved it matters. All you can decide is what matters to you. People are happier when they're partnered with someone of similar values and goals. That doesn't mean you have to have the same tastes in books, movies etc. But you should have the same values. Whether science or scif (or anything) constitutes a value depends on how important it is to the individual. Just like choice of faith is a value to some people but not to others.

One thing I can say is that as a female scifi fan I haven't dated a lot of guys that didn't like scifi. But I have been bored out of my mind by female friends who wanted to talk about soap operas or those movies they show on the Lifetime network. :)

I've had a hard time thinking of this question. But I think I finally made a decision :)

I'd say, I would like it if the guy I'm dating knows Trek and likes it. He doesn't need to like it as much as I do, but at least he shouldn't absolutley dislike it. I also see the danger in him liking trek, too, it would cause me to talk about Trek all the time... Hm... Well I guess I just shouldn't date anyone at the moment :)

Mrs. Captain Picard

Well,considering I married a woman that didn't care for Star Trek (she didn't dislike,just didn't know anything about it,other than the fact that Mr.Spock had pointy ears),I say yes.

Yes,I would date someone who doesn't like Star Trek. Just as long as they don't think that I am weird for watching the series'.

Why should it matter if they like Star Trek? :)

CJLP - if it matters to the parties involved it matters. All you can decide is what matters to you. People are happier when they're partnered with someone of similar values and goals. That doesn't mean you have to have the same tastes in books, movies etc. But you should have the same values. Whether science or scif (or anything) constitutes a value depends on how important it is to the individual. Just like choice of faith is a value to some people but not to others.

One thing I can say is that as a female scifi fan I haven't dated a lot of guys that didn't like scifi. But I have been bored out of my mind by female friends who wanted to talk about soap operas or those movies they show on the Lifetime network. :)

I just don't see why sci-fi, nor other forms of entertainment, should be an issue when in a relationship. Heck, if I met that "special someone", I wouldn't care if she liked sci-fi or not, that's not important, what's important is that the two of us would be in love, hypothetically speaking as I've never fallen in love before.

I just don't see why sci-fi, nor other forms of entertainment, should be an issue when in a relationship.  Heck, if I met that "special someone", I wouldn't care if she liked sci-fi or not, that's not important, what's important is that the two of us would be in love, hypothetically speaking as I've never fallen in love before.

CJLP, I don't know how to respond because I've already answered that a couple of times as have others. If you're only saying that it doesn't matter to you - that's a valid viewpoint. But if it matters to some people - it's their perogative and they don't need to justify it to anyone. I think a lot of people have expressed that it really depends on the situation. And I agree.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

I voted "yes, as long as they didn't make a big deal about it."

I will add however that my current girlfriend LOVES Star Trek. And that she is the only person I've ever had a real working relationship with. (all of the other attempts were with girls who didn't get sci-fi).

Though there may be more important things out there it does become a big issue when everytime you want to sit down to watch Star Trek they want to leave the room. I really like that me and my girlfriend can sit down and watch Trek together and that when go out on a date to see a movie we don't have argue over what to see.

Liking Star Trek isn't very important. Personality however is. And let's face it STAR TREK IS A PART OF PERSONALITY!

Yes, as long as they don't make a big deal about it.

I would however prefer to date someone that liked Trek because it would give a good topic of discussion. Also, it is so much easier to be with someone when they do not make snide comments or leave the room when you want to sit down and watch an episode.

It does not matter to me whether someone I date likes Star Trek or not. Most of my close family members do not watch scifi at all, but we have enough in common where it does not matter.

I come here to share with others who like Star Trek.

Somehow I knew you would be the one who would question this thread! (No offense intended) It's been my experience that women don't want anything to do with me after they learn I'm into Star Trek. They just all seem to run away..I'm probably just meeting the wrong people..I just wanted some more opinions on it..You're right  CJLP and everyone else..It shouldn't matter that I like Trek..But somehow it does..

I've had very few female friends over the years because all but one didn't like, or didn't understand Star Trek. Virtually all of them think it's some weird techno-science thing, and NONE of my female co-workers has any interest in either science or sci-fi. In other words, I understand your situation.

I'm very lucky that my husband, SoCalTom, likes Trek as much as I do, because all of the guys in the past (not that many!) have thought I was a "little Trekkie, aw isn't that (cute, funny, odd, quirky)".

BTW, I voted no.

Somehow I knew you would be the one who would question this thread! (No offense intended) It's been my experience that women don't want anything to do with me after they learn I'm into Star Trek. They just all seem to run away..I'm probably just meeting the wrong people..I just wanted some more opinions on it..You're right  CJLP and everyone else..It shouldn't matter that I like Trek..But somehow it does..

I've had very few female friends over the years because all but one didn't like, or didn't understand Star Trek. Virtually all of them think it's some weird techno-science thing, and NONE of my female co-workers has any interest in either science or sci-fi. In other words, I understand your situation.

Why can't you have friends who don't like Trek? My friend Roger has zero interrest in Trek, yet he gave NEMESIS a try, even though he was board out of his mind till the Schimitar attacked the Enterprise. <_< If they hate it and allways complain, this I understand, but if they don't like it and that's that, then why should that be an issue? Just currious.

I'd date someone who likes Star Trek. But either way is okay, I went, "Yes, as long as they don't make a big deal about it."

I'd like to have female friends who don't like Trek, but if they show less interest in me because I like Trek in particular, and science in general, that's just how it is. All my adult life I've had more male friends than female friends anyway, because they're more inclined to be interested on science. I hope this isn't too far off topic! <_<

Forgot to quote CaptainJean-LucPicard's post before posting my post. Oops!

Edited by incontinentia