Sign in to follow this  
Sirius

Television legend Art Carney,dead at age 85.

Today Hollywood and the world lost another legend.Art Carney,who starred opposite Jackie Gleason passed away today at the age of 85.Mr.Carney had been suffering from a prolonged illness.

Born on November,4th,1918 in Mt.Vernon,New York,Art Carney began his showbusiness career at an early age.He first gained noteriety as a voice-over regular on the popular 1930's radio series "Gangbusters",which featured weekly episodes based on actual crime incidents.Each program ended with various descriptions of wanted criminals,many of whom were later arrested due to avid listener participation.

Mr.Carney starred in over 50 movies and had more than 40 guest-starring roles on television shows.

Some of his accomplishments include the following:

1954 awarded an Emmy as Best Supporting Actor for "The Jackie Gleason Show"

1955 awarded an Emmy as Best Supporting Actor for "The Jackie Gleason Show"

1956 awarded an Emmy as Best Supporting Actor for "The Honeymooners"

1966 awarded an Emmy for Special Classification of Individual Achievement for "The Jackie Gleason Show"

1968 awarded an Emmy for Special Classification of Individual Achievement for "The Jackie Gleason Show"

1975 awarded an Oscar for his performance as lead actor in the film "Harry & Tonto"

1984 awarded an Emmy as Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series for "Terrible Joe Morgan"

During his long and distinguished career Art Carney worked alongside some of the industry's most celebrated stars,including Audrey Meadows,Carl Reiner,George C. Scott,Jackie Gleason,Jackie Coogan,Majel Barrett*,Walter Mathau,Henry Winkler,Morey Amsterdam,Teri garr,and Madeline Kahn.

Click for Spoiler:

pubMeek01.jpg

I think one of my favorite performances by Mr.Carney was when he played a town drunk who happens upon Santa Claus's sack in the Twilight Zone episode "Night of The Meek".I recently saw this episode again,for the first time in years and I still love it.

Click for Spoiler:

tv-carne.jpg

On the classic television series "The Honeymooners" Art Carney played the lovable and slow-witted "Ed Norton",neighbor and best friend of Jackie Gleason's "Ralph Cramden".

May God bless you and keep you Mr.Carney.You will be missed.

Edited by Sirius

This is very sad news.

I greatly admired Art Carney.The man was a comedic genius,and so much more than that.

tis a shame all the old great ones are dying off so much more rapidly these days. i guess were all getting a little older everytime one of the greats dies.