Sign in to follow this  
Captain Holland

I wonder why...

I noticed that almost every species' planet is named after them. Except for humans. An example would be Vulcans=Vulcan, Romulans=Romulus, Ferengi=Ferenginar, Cardassians=Cardassia, etc. I think the writers just got lazy and named the planets after the species. :thumbs:

Sort of, our official name is Human.

Stardate:213804.5

Actually I thought that our offical name was "Terran".Eh I dont know

Yeh I think they got lazy.But hey whats wrong with lazyness?? :thumbs:

Stardate:213804.5

Actually I thought that our offical name was "Terran".Eh I dont know

Yeh I think they got lazy.But hey whats wrong with lazyness?? :thumbs:

Nothing is wrong with laziness. I'm real lazy. Sit all day, watch TV, post here, eat.

In the Mirror Universe of DS9 we are known as Terrans, and was it Amok Time or TMP where the Vulcan High priestess asks Spock. "Are thee Vulcan or are thee Terran?"

As soon as I read that, I thought "Oh yeah, didn't T'Pau ask Spock 'Art thee vulcan, or art thee Human?' in 'Amok Time' "? Although it's a pretty vivid recollection, I could be mistaken.

I forgot to quote VaBeachGuy's post just before mine. Oops!

Edited by incontinentia

As soon as I read that, I thought "Oh yeah, didn't T'Pau ask Spock 'Art thee vulcan, or art thee Human?' in 'Amok Time' "? Although it's a pretty vivid recollection, I could be mistaken.

I forgot to quote VaBeachGuy's post just before mine. Oops!

Did she say Human? I was thinking she said Terran but she likely did say Human. I'll have to check it to be sure.

Did she say Human? I was thinking she said Terran but she likely did say Human. I'll have to check it to be sure.

You may be right - it's been a while since I saw the episode.

I'm positive that she said Human..It's a line from Amok Time that I can't forget. I've seen it so many times..

I'm positive that she said Human..It's a line from Amok Time that I can't forget. I've seen it so many times..

I'm with spacetigger. I'm sure the line is 'human.'

I know they made a number of references to Terrans and the Terran System on TNG but I couldn't tell you any specific episodes right now.

Terrans, Earthlings, Humans..Seems like we have been called all of those names throughout the Trek series..Of course Quark and the Ferengis called us Humans. Sybok in STV called us Terrans and I'm sure somebody sometime must have called us Earthlings.(probably many times).Earthlings does seem to make the most sense since we are from Earth..

It does seem uncreative on part of the writers to name the planets after the species that inhabits it..

No actually its Terran. We come from a planet that is Terran for a systeam called sol. worf said the Borg had been head tward the Terran systeam

In the Mirror Universe of DS9 we are known as Terrans, and was it Amok Time or TMP where the Vulcan High priestess asks Spock. "Are thee Vulcan or are thee Terran?"

That always struck me as a kind of bigoted question to ask Spock.But maybe I'm just paranoid?

You know,when I first started this reply I was sure I could name a bunch of races from worlds with names different from their species name,but now that I think about it....I cant. :huh:

actually we come from Sol III and we are called Terrans. The vulcan system has some off the wall scientific name but I forgot it.

Edited by adm. stickler

IMO it's not lazy that the writers name the aliens after there native planet. After all I am a Californian. If I left the country I would be an American. If I left the planet I would be an Earthling. We always referred to possible life on Mars as Martians. It seems only natural to me. In fact I think it would be silly to have a completely unrelated name. However I do think it is silly that we are referred to as Terrans, Humans, and Earthlings. I believe we are Earthlings and we are of the human species versus primate, mammal etc. I guess what I am saying is IMO there is a difference between what planet your from and the species you are.

:) I thought that Terran was just a slave name for humans in DS9. Nice that it's a proper word.

Maybe 'Human' is sort of an affectionate nickname, just like Cardassians and 'Bloody Cardies!', as Miles O'Brien gently puts it.

...Its stupidly late to be posting. Arrrrggghhhhhh, damn-my-love-for-Star-Trek-affiliated-inter-communal-discussions!

Anyhow, there is Klingons and Kronos.

:)

I noticed that almost every species' planet is named after them. Except for humans. An example would be Vulcans=Vulcan, Romulans=Romulus, Ferengi=Ferenginar, Cardassians=Cardassia, etc. I think the writers just got lazy and named the planets after the species. :laugh:

Hi there :laugh:

Maybe the writers did get lazy and just name the planets after their species. It does make it easier to remember which planet different species come from. So I guess it does make sense in that respect.

I was trying to think of aliens that live on planets that have completely different names but I don't think there are any.

Species 8472 don't live on a planet but if they did, I wonder what it would be called..............

Linda

Yep, in the newer series and movies we are refered to as Terran. I think in TOS we were mostly refered to as Humans, but in "The Trouble With Tribbles" (TOS) the Klingons called us Earthers, probably Klingon slang.

BTW, I have no problem with Earthling :dude: The Gorn in Arena (TOS) called Kirk an Earthling.

Edited by Big_Steve