Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Uber-ships, do you like them?

In Trek, the vast alien empires, like the Romulans and Klingons, tend to have uber-ships or a uber-ship. The closest Starfleet has is the Galaxy-class. Do you like uber-ships, and if so, do you think Starfleet should have some?

Personally, it seems that only the "empire-like" cultures have the uber-ships while the more peaceful cultures have the smaller ships. What's your view on this?

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

I never want to see a Federation starship larger than the Galaxy-class (which is,let's face it,larger than the Sovereign...the Sovereign is merely a bit longer).

Tyrannical star empires equate size with strength,which is why the Romulans and Klingons have such massive flagships,and over-powered military vessels.That's not what the Federation Starfleet is about.

The Galaxy,Sovereign,Nebula,and Ambassador classes provide satisfactory protection from alien threats,while also providing platforms from which to conduct the Starfleet's first mission which is the peaceful exploration and scientific investigation of space.

With warp power it doesn't really matter how big a ship is. It can still be moved without much extra power. With this said, why not create a Starbase with warp engines? Essentially it would be one big ship. It could even be designed more like a ship, but have bays to store other ships. The would be useful for a long range mission. It would allow for easy repair of the other vessels.

I don't care for supermassive ships,unless we're talking Star Wars,and then I'm fine with it.I love superstar destroyers and Mon Calamari battle cruisers.

But as we're talking Star Trek and the Federation,then I say no.Never.Let the Romies have their ridiculously proportioned warbirds,and the Kazon keep their stolen Trabe monstrosities.Nothing larger than a Sovereign for the Federation.

I'd be in favor of larger numbers of smaller,faster,well-armed starships (like the Intrepids,Defiants,and Prometheuses).

the bigger the ship, the bigger the bigger the ego (thats why the Feds dont have any) ... face it : the galaxy-class isnt that big compared to other races ships

As if the Federation doesn't have an ego. They do, it's just more subtle. Earlier I posted an idea about a starship carrier if you will. While I like the idea, I don't think I would want to actually see it in Star Trek unless it was an enemy of some sort. Like you guys, I agree that the Federation seems better suited to smaller ships. Just thought I'd clarify that.

I have to agree with everyone who said no uber-ships for the same reasons + adding U-S to Trek would probably lead to Trek purists crying foul with things like: "Now they are copying Star Wars!" type complaints (present company excluded ;-)

I would question what such a massive ship would be used for, and it seems it's main function would be as a warship. Since that is not the Federation's main mission, it seems it would not fit into the scheme of things.

If there were another use for this type of ship, or if there were a major threat to the Federation, then possibly it would be advantageous to have one.

I agree with everyone here. Why would the UFP need uber-ships? It would be silly to have a massive super powered warship when their primary aim is peace. It looks like in combat situations the UFP prefers a million hornets to one grizzly bear, while the bear is fearsome, one well aimed shot can bring it down. The hornets however, are indestructible. (more-or-less) :o

Anyways, from what I've seen of future UFP ships on VOY, the Federation is going to have even smaller ships by then.