Sign in to follow this  
first_redneck_in_space

Mel Brooks' Blazing Saddles

I've watched this film time and again,and it never gets old.I love Mel Brooks' films,and Blazing Saddles is one of the best.

I heard that originally they cast Richard Pryor to play the part of Sheriff Bart,but a prior commitment by Pryor,gave the role to Cleavon Little.I'm glad it did.I can't imagine Pryor doing a better job as Sheriff of Rockridge.

And Gene Wilder.That man is a genius.He works well with anybody,and has appeared in several of Mel Brooks best films (The Producers,Young Frankenstein).The same goes for the beautiful,and sadly deceased Madeline Kahn.Of course,Mel's in the film too,playing the part of a corrupt and scatter-brained territorial governor.

I think my favorite parts of the film would be Mongo's candygram,the bigot cowboys singing "Camptown Races",the gassy campire scene,and Bart's liason with Madeline Kahn's "Marlene Dietrich"-like character.

Other great Mel Brooks films:

Life Stinks

Space Balls

Robin Hood:Men In Tights

To Be or Not To Be

Silent Movie

Dracula,Dead and loving It!

History of the World,Part 1

I love Mel Brooks movies!! I saw "Blazing Saddles" while it was still in the theatres (yes, I'm that old), and while I didn't really care for the gaseous camp fire scene (too gross, in my opinion) I still remember my favorite scene from that movie quite well. It's the one where the town full of bigoted cowboys is anxiously awaiting the arrival of their new sheriff, with a band waiting to play and church bells ringing. The "lookout" spots Cleavon Little's character approaching, and tries to tell the rest of the townspeople about him but keeps getting interrupted by the ringing church bells...

LOOKOUT: "Hey!!! The sheriff's a ni..." BONG, the church bells ring.

COWBOY IN CROWD: "What'd he say? The sheriff's a-near?"

LOOKOUT: "No!!! I said the sheriff's a ni..." BONG the church bell rings again.

Classic Mel Brooks stuff. I laughed my butt off!

Hey,red,you're talking about my favorite movie!

I'll agree with Mrs.Kirk,I loved the welcoming scene.When I first watched it,I was mortified because one of my black friends was sleeping over (we were like 12 or 13),but he was laughing harder than I was.

Its great the way Mel took comedy and just bashed bigotry over the head with it.

I can't think of a Brooks film,I don't like,and I'm pretty sure I've seen them all.

The Producer's was great,too."Springtime for Hitler",was a funny song.I can just see the press for a Broadway musical like that today.

Gabby Johnson's my hero.

I just wish I was half as eloquent as he is when speaking in public :o

I also love Mongo,and Hedy Lemar ("That's Hedley!").

"Badges?We don't need no stinking badges!"

"Qualifications?"

Click for Spoiler:

Remember this scene?The villains are asking the mercenaries for their qualifications,a big old boy walks up to the front of the line."Qualifications?"Lemar asks.Scratching his chin,the thug for hire says,"Rape,cattle rustling,murder,arson,rape.""Hey,"Lemar says,"You said rape twice."The thug chuckles."I like rape." Edited by Captain_Smiley

I remember this movie.

It's SubCommander Beavis's favorite,after the Smokey & The Bandit and Canonball Run flicks.

I like it,allright.Its not in my top-10 funniest,though.