Sign in to follow this  
starsinmyeyes

Lunar Eclipse November 8th, 2003

On Saturday, Nov. 8th, the full moon will glide through our planet's shadow. Observers on every continent except Australia can see the event, which astronomers call a lunar eclipse.

Click on link to find out more about where and what time. November 8 Lunar Eclipse

I'm extremely jealous of you guys. Tell me what it was like.

Thanks for the tip off. I live in the U.K so will check it out if there isn't the usual thick blanket of cloud around :o

This one is for TrekZone and any other Aussie.... :o

Partial Solar Eclipse in most of Australia November 24th. Won't be as spectacular as a total eclipse.. you have to be in Antarctica to see that...darn it I was planning to be in Antarctica in November this year... Mid eclipse will be 7:32 am EST (Brisbane) and we will see 11% of the sun covered. Where Adelaide will be at 7:11am and will see 43% of sun eclipsed. Perth 5:40 am and will see 61% of the sun eclipsed. The times here are not adjusted for daylight saving time they are calculated on Universal Time. For the total eclipse the event begins about 45 mins before the times given here and finishes about 45 mins after so head outside just before the times given here.

Partial Solar Eclipse Australia]NASA Eclipse Page

Below is a good site to check out times and details for percentage of sun you will see in your little part of Australia and ways you can project sun's image to view event safely.

Times and Details

Hope it's good.

Edited by starsinmyeyes

The time is near. Unfortunately, I'm socked in with cloud cover. No lunar eclipse for me. :o

Watching it now!! Looks really cool!! By the way, I'm in southeastern WI and I can stand on the balcony of my apartment and get a clear view!

I've got a great view standing right in front of my front door. Unfortunately, I'm fighting with a street light, that usually works only when it feels like it, and it feels like it tonight! :o

I've got a great view standing right in front of my front door.  Unfortunately, I'm fighting with a street light, that usually works only when it feels like it, and it feels like it tonight!  :o

Streetlamps like that,are the reason the Good lord creating rocks,Lady Narana. :o

Dang, right place, wrong weather. It is raining like no tomorrow over here and I can't see anything!

Stardate:213855.9

Unfortunatly I am among the group that doesnt get to see the Lunar Eclipse.STUPID CLOUDS!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting me know what the lunar eclipse was like. For those who missed it due to clouds or rain... I'll let you know when another lunar eclipse will occur.

Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi... Keep your eyes peeled... Your turn is coming!

Partial Solar Eclipse in most of Australia November 24th.

Won't be as spectacular as a total eclipse.. you have to be in Antarctica to see that...darn it I was planning to be in Antarctica in November this year... Mid eclipse will be 7:32 am EST (Brisbane) and we will see 11% of the sun covered. Where Adelaide will be at 7:11am and will see 43% of sun eclipsed. Perth 5:40 am and will see 61% of the sun eclipsed. The times here are not adjusted for daylight saving time they are calculated on Universal Time. For the total eclipse the event begins about 45 mins before the times given here and finishes about 45 mins after so head outside just before the times given here.

Find the post somewhere above, previously posted by me and click on the links to see a table of times relevant for Australia.

Edited by starsinmyeyes

TOMORROW Partial Solar Eclipse visible from Australia , Monday 24 November.

Click on the link below for a table with times relevant for your area. Eclipse may or may not be worthwhile for you to see depending on where you live in Australia. The link explains what to do if you have daylight savings at the moment.

Eclipse Times

For instructions on solar projection and safe viewing use the link below. Never look at the sun with naked eyes, through sunglasses, telescopes or binoculars. The only safe methods for viewing the sun are listed in the links or use or a solar filter (on the telescope not eyepiece) or proper solar glasses made for viewing a solar eclipse.

Binocular Projection of Solar Eclipses

Quick and Easy- Pinhole Projection

Enjoy. I hope someone finds the partial eclipse worthwhile. :eek:

thanks starsinmyeyes for bumping the thread, id forgotten all about it.....ill be looking (its my day off tomorrow!) exam on Tuesday (25th)

Hey Guys.

The eclipse looks great. Only a small part of the sun covered but the outside edge has darkened and brought out detail of the sun's surface around the sunspots. Can see different shades in the surface. Exciting.

Would love to see a total eclipse with the telescope!

Happy. What a buzz. :laugh:

Eclipse is over now. Have to enter reality and go to work! :laugh:

Who else saw the eclipse?

Edited by starsinmyeyes

5th May 2004

Hi Guys

There is a Total Lunar Eclipse visible for all af Australia in the early hours of Wednesday May 5th. The eclipse lasts from 4.48 am -8.12 am AEST. Totality lasts from 5.52 am to 7.08 am. For most parts of Australia the moon sets before the end of the eclipse.

Eastern Australia

Eclipse begins 4.48 am, Totality begins 5.52 am, Totality ends 7.08 am, Eclipse ends 8.12 am (local time).

South Australia/Northern Australia

Eclipse begins 4.18 am, Totality begins 5.22 am, Totality ends 6.38 am, Eclipse ends 7.42am (local time)

Western Australia

Eclipse begins 2.48 am, Totality begins 3.52 am, Totality ends 5.08 am, Eclipse ends 6.12am (local time)

Moonset Times

Adelaide 7.02 am

Brisbane 6.19 am

Canberra 6.48 am

Darwin 7.00 am

Hobart 7.12 am

Melbourne 7.11 am

Perth 7.02 am

Sydney 6.37 am

ALSO BIG NEWS

Venus will transit the sun on 8 June 2004. (Venus passes in front of the sun) This last happened 1882. This was also the event eagerly viewed by Lieutenant James Cook in 1769 when he sailed to Tahiti to record the event. After viewing the event he continued on his journey to discover the unknown south continent and discovered New Zealand and New South Wales (Australia). The transit will be best seen in Europe, Asia, and most of Africa. In Australia we will see the beginning of the transit only. For people in New Zealand the sun will set before the transit begins.

Transit begins: sunset

Adelaide 2.38 pm 5.11 pm

Brisbane 3.07 pm 5.00 pm

Canberra 3.08 pm 4.58 pm

Darwin 2.39 pm 6.28 pm

Hobart 3.08 pm 4.43 pm

Melbourne 3.08 pm 5.07 pm

Perth 1.10 pm 5.19 pm

Sydney 3.07 pm 4.53 pm

The transit can be viewed following the safe solar viewing techniques I posted in previous posts about this year's solar eclipse.Pinhole Projection and Binocular viewing or using a telescope with a properly fitted solar filter on the objective (major) lens not the eyepiece.

For everyone around the world; it may pay to do a search and see if lunar eclipse and venus transit times are posted. ENJOY! :frusty: