Wow

Does Star trek need 'saving'  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Does Star trek need 'saving'

• Yes, very much so!
    • It could use a 'brush up'
    • Not really
    • NO!!!

I was reading some random threads on IMDb forums and I came across a almost incredible amount of people saying that Star trek must be 'saved' and that there ideas would do be the ones that did it. While there were some bad ones:

by - MPalkovic906 (Thu Oct 16 16:07:25) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howabout a star trek tales series each weak a different ship, a different ctew, a different time, and a different place. Each episode would be different, all of the main charicters could die, bad guies could win. With the other series you are stuck with one crew, one ship, and one time (and part of the galixy).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And some not so-bad-ones:

Well, there were no not-so-bad ideas there, ALL of the ideas for a new show were flawed and not thought out, but some were worse then others (see above)

I don't think that Star Trek needs 'saving' in any way. I just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts on the subject.

Howabout a star trek tales series each weak a different ship, a different ctew, a different time, and a different place. Each episode would be different, all of the main charicters could die, bad guies could win. With the other series you are stuck with one crew, one ship, and one time (and part of the galixy). 

That would be a terrible Trek series in my opinion..We wouldn't have enough time to get to know one particular crew and ship before they switch it to a totally new crew and ship..I don't like that idea at all..

I voted NO...!!! In my opinion Star Trek does not need saving at all..I like it just the way it is..In my view Enterprise is doing well..Each show that I watch seems to be better than the last one..True, I wish more people tuned in and gave it a watch..But I don't think it needs saving..What I wish is that we could convince Paramount to make another theatrical Trek movie..Preferably a DS9 movie..I just hope the movies don't stop with Nemesis...If there isn't another Trek movie we have nobody to blame but the Trek fans..Why didn't the fans go to see Nemesis??

I voted no. Star Trek has become a phenom of the 20th century and will never die. However, I don't like the direction tptb have taken the show.

I basically stopped watching the show after the motion picture Star Trek VI:The Undiscovered Country. I realize that a lot of people loved TNG, but as a TOS fan (and believe me, I watched TOS on NBC in prime time ... yes, I'm that old, LOL) I didn't care much for TNG and in my opinion it only got worse with Voyager and Enterprise.

IMHO, star trek needs to start moving back to the romaticisim and delightful simplicity of TOS (no cerebral TCW time line manipulation BS)... if they want to attract new television viewers that is, or Enterprise may be our last installment ... just my opinion.

What's wrong with the cerebral TCW story arc?  I prefer intelligent over simplicity when it comes to stories.  I'm not saying simple stories are bad, I just prefer the ones that make you think a lot.

Well I didn't really say there was anything wrong with it, it makes for great stand alone episodes, but I certainly wouldn't have made it an essential part of the show as tptb have.

What is the question here? I don't think Star Trek (the phenom) needs saving, however, if we are talking about keeping a series on television the only way to do that is to attract new viewers, or maybe even more importantly, attract former viewers back to the show.

I think there are at least three camps here and each will have their own (and some strong) opinions as to which direction the show should take.

Camp 1: TOS diehards (such as myself :lol: ) who will never be satisfied until the show returns to the TOS era and or revive's Gene's original concept for the show. Let's return to and finish the 5 year mission with another crew and ship! I believe Walter Koenig also champions this idea ... let's do it! Sulu (George Takei) can be captain, and I'd bet he'd do it too :lol: If paramount did this, do you think it would attract new and old viewers alike and generate ratings?

Camp 2: TNG, this camp is primarily younger and cut their teeth on TNG and later, not TOS, which to them is basically (though given props as the original) a primitive, old tv show. I can't comment on the direction they would take the show.

Camp 3: Trek sycophants, this group will eat whatever trek paramount throws at them ... and they don't care!

I know there are other camps to which others may belong.

Is there a trek generation gap (TOS and TNG)?

Edited by Big_Steve

No!!!!!!! Trek is Trek, and Trek is good. It doesn't need changing. If it needed to be changed, would we all be here discussing our favorite franchise? No.

And I agree with Eve. It is getting better all the time. Just like TNG, Enterprise is really starting to pick up after its first two seasons. Bring on the Trek!!!

Is there a trek generation gap (TOS and TNG)?

There most defenitely is. I am in camp 2. I've watched TNG all my life, since before I was even in school, and I can never get myself to watch the original series. i like the TOS movies, but I just can't watch TOS. I find it boring.

But, I wouldn't mind going back to the TOS era because I know what Trek is like today, and not even an entire series in homage form can change that. There are just too many TNG viewers that come to expect the type of Trek we have had since 1987.

Only from disgruntled fans.

I voted no.

:lol: COOL!What class of ship is that on your signature?

Khitomer class.

Its a mid-sized light exploration vessel.I found it at the USS Miranda RPG site.

I thought it looked interesting.

;) "sycophants" :grin: Assuming you have a wife or girlfriend, do you only have attraction to her for one "part" of her? Are all of her parts "perfect" and would you have her change or eliminate parts, which are not?

There have been Trek splinter groups forming since the first episode, Favorite characters. Then favorite episode types, then favorite season types etc. Then the movies started and some Trekkers accepted the new vision and stuck with Trek while others remained hard-core for the "uncorrupted" OS. Same with every different film and series from then on.

Edited by Alterego

Yeah cause who needs any of that stuff...what is it? Oh yeah character development. Dude man that is so boring :grin:

(and where the heck did this guy learn how to spell?)

Sounds to me like a Star Trek version of The Outer Limits. :grin:

Personally, what makes a TV show for me is the cast of characters and the stories they tell each week. If it was different people each week, I just wouldn't be interrested.

I was reading some random threads on IMDb forums and I came across a almost incredible amount of people saying that Star trek must be 'saved' and that there ideas would do be the ones that did it. While there were some bad ones:

by - MPalkovic906 (Thu Oct 16 16:07:25)  Ignore this User | Report Abuse 

And some not so-bad-ones:

Well, there were no not-so-bad ideas there, ALL of the ideas for a new show were flawed and not thought out, but some were worse then others (see above)

I don't think that Star Trek needs 'saving' in any way. I just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts on the subject.

I think that Star Trek could you a brush up, but nothin insane like what all those fools out there propose. I think Enterprise should stay, and that an arcing story is good for Star Trek, but the show still needs some tweaking to deal with some of the common criticisms of the show. Overall, Trek is still Trek. Those crazy ideas put out there come from people who DO NOT know how to write and DO NOT understand what Star Trek is all about. Kill the good guys? What the heck is that about?

;) "sycophants"  :grin: Assuming you have a wife or girlfriend, do you only have attraction to her for one "part" of her? Are all of her parts "perfect" and would you have her change or eliminate parts, which are not?

There have been Trek splinter groups forming since the first episode, Favorite characters. Then favorite episode types, then favorite season types etc. Then the movies started and some Trekkers accepted the new vision and stuck with Trek while others remained hard-core for the "uncorrupted" OS. Same with every different film and series from then on.

OK, I apologize for that, but we are talking about a vehicle of entertainment, not my wife! LOL.

I acknowledge the fact that there are various spin-offs which have their own followings and loyalties but I don't care for the story arching and timeline manipulation brought upon us by TNG because it will give them the oportunity to go back and change all the accomplishments of the original ... not good.

I grew up on TOS so Captain Kirk was a childhood superhero to me and I don't want any spin-off to come along and make him seem any less than what he is, or what he has accomplished. To this day I will not watch "Generations", what an absurd and unglorious way for one of the greatest of all childhood heros to die ... I will never forgive paramount for that!

Edited by Big_Steve

Fair enough Big Steve, I understand. I don't like every episode of every Trek but I do think all the separate series are important parts to the saga.

but I don't care for the story arching and timeline manipulation brought upon us by TNG because it will give them the opportunity to go back and change all the accomplishments of the original ... not good.

Do you mean with ENT and the TCW? If so (again I understand your point and I don't mean to be cramming my views down your throat) I think putting the future in danger was a stroke of brilliance on the producers part. Granted I don't want to see the future changed but for me, it's a kick (and a realistic consequence of losing the TCW) to worry about that happening.

I think it needs a brush up or maybe some time off to consider it's future direction after Enterprise. I agree with Bolivar that Enterprise is good but could use some tweaking.

I also voted NO!!!!!!!!!!! And I mean NO!!!!!!!!!

But B T H, ENT did change in season 3.

I know I belong to the few who were very happy with season 1 and 2 and I could have gone with pure exploring, the TCW etc. forever. But I'm relieved to find my understanding in Trek in epis like "Extinction" and "The shipment".

I do not wish to complain about the new direction. If the majority of the fans likes it and the new development helps to keep ratings up, I'm fine.

The worst cast scenario for me would be an end of Star Trek. I cannot stand this thought!!!!

NO!!!

There shouldn't be any changes. Eventhough we as Star Trek viewers may complain there shouldn't be any changes. I really like each show they have made so far. My only request is don't make them strip on every episode. The story should sell itself not the nudity. :thumbs: :blink: